Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Jinumon

Default Fantasy Worldbuilding

Hello, All!

I got this idea in my head a little while ago to run a fantasy game. I'm a big fan of fantasy gaming and literature in general, but I always have bones to pick with particular settings or stories. So I decided that I'd try my own hand at creating a fantasy world, full of mystery and wonder, and avoiding what I view as pitfalls of the genre. The problem is that I've never attempted serious worldbuilding before, and the process seems incredibly daunting.

Being a GURPS fan, I've read what I can on the topic of world-building, but I find more and more that when it comes to the more esoteric elements of the game, GURPS encourages you to "do whatever you want" without offering much useful information as to which directions to head, or significant cause-and-effect relationships. As such, I'm looking for any and all advice, tips, and tricks with which to assist me in building my world. Below are a few of the problems I've faced thus far.

I've always been a big fan of the sandbox-style campaign, and so I'm loathe to start the game before I have the majority of the world at least mostly thought out. At the same time, I don't want cut-and-paste cultures from our world just sprinkled throughout. It has to feel believable and real, but also organic and fresh.

Authenticity is a big point for me, and so I do want to borrow plenty from historical examples for what is and isn't feasible. Often, in fantasy literature, you here about civilizations that have been around for thousands of years, and yet their technology is still in the middle ages. They'll occasionally offer an explanation like, "the existence of magic makes the importance of technology less of an issue, hence a slower progression," but I feel like the ambition of non-mages would drive them to create technology to even the playing field. These are the kinds of logical slip-ups I'd like to avoid.

I've come up with something of a starting area for the characters to begin in, a western-style nation called Erramys. But creating a nation, and then attempting to determine it's scale in significance seems difficult. I often feel like worlds should be created chronologically rather than geographically, but, yet again, that seems to make the task even more daunting.

I think, ultimately, that my biggest problem is a font of ideas that may or may not mesh together, and an inability to decide where to start. Please help! And thank you all for your eventual contributions.
Jinumon
Jinumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping
Default Re: Fantasy Worldbuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
I've always been a big fan of the sandbox-style campaign, and so I'm loathe to start the game before I have the majority of the world at least mostly thought out. At the same time, I don't want cut-and-paste cultures from our world just sprinkled throughout. It has to feel believable and real, but also organic and fresh.
Be careful here. This tends to be a recreation for GMs which has questionable payoff for players. You can build all you want, but do gauge your players' interest in knowing about your world. They may be far more interested in actively playing than in passively absorbing the material you produce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinumon View Post
Authenticity is a big point for me, and so I do want to borrow plenty from historical examples for what is and isn't feasible.
The first, best thing you can do is read. A lot. Hit the history and anthropology sections of your local used book store for cheap ethnographies and histories of places you know nothing about. That'll give you ideas. Specifically for GURPS, I'd recommend GURPS Fantasy, GURPS Infinite Worlds (the chapter on building alternate histories may be useful) and Pyramid #3/41,, which has a table-driven article about building dynamic, plausible-sounding histories.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

First: world-building is great fun, but is indeed often more fun for the GM. So be careful.

When you say you want the entire world thought out, be careful what you mean by 'world'. a medieval game set in Europe only really knows about europe, with vauge details about deserts to the south, ice to the north, Russian Steepe and the Moslems to the east, and Oceans to the west. And perhaps Jerusalem.

As for the thousand-year old civilization: This actually happens: china, Rome, Egypt: Locations often have similar technological backgrounds and cultural continuity for hundreds of years. They tend to think of their history in terms of dynasties, Place great importance on specific locations, and have a grand sense of superiority over their neighbors. They also seem to work best at TL 1-2, not TL 3.

There is a history generator in one of the pyramids . 41?. I just wrote an automated program that emulates it and now I use that. I wouldn't do thousands of years with in, but remember that after a certain point history stops being relevant. Our world's history is less relevant before WWII. and before 1500 it really doesn't matter, other than counting cultural groups (which have pretty much not changed since then).

As for where to start, just pick something exciting! anything exciting! And start making stuff up. pick a couple of features to stand out. Or you can pick an existing work and mess with it. One the favorite worlds I build is based on medieval Europe, and I just added a dimension where fairy-tale stuff happens (the idea that the knight goes questing and walks into the new dimension to encounter the dragons and wizards in towers), and it has grown beautifully.

As a final piece of advice, don't think this is the end all: if you are too attached to getting it right the first time, you'll never finish it. Build it, look at it, and either change it (though that can be heart-breaking) or build a new one.

Oh, and don't kitchen sink it. It wrecks havoc on worlds. Banestorm gets away with it because its pulling from lots of different places. Pick a couple of ideas to dominate and keep them in the front.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
jason taylor

The "technology hardly changes" thing is less of a problem then it sounds. Until about 500 years ago, technological change was incremental.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.

Its funny that regardless of how amazing a genius you are, technological discoveries simply cant get fully enjoyed until you have a culture in place that allows for some degree of education and implementation of said tech.

At the end of the day the most important technological development is education, its when you start to evolve rapidly
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
whswhs

I don't know if I have specific advice to give, but I have in fact been working on creating a fantasy world, and I've started several threads over the past few months that talk about aspects of it, and gotten very helpful advice back from other people here. Some of them are even fairly current.

I'm afraid I'm doing precisely what people here are cautioning you about. I started out by drawing continents, and figuring out what tectonic plates they were on, and setting up the plate motions to create mountain ranges in the right places, and figuring how the different races were distributed over them, and which races had linguistic spread zones and which ones had refuge languages, and a bunch of stuff like that. At present, for example, I have 44 broad culture areas mapped out, each assigned to one or more races—though there are going to be several more culture areas interspersed with others in units too small to show up on my world map.

Just bear in mind that half the payoff of worldbuilding will be things you gloat over to yourself, that your players will never know about. Just as, when I ran a Tolkienian alternate universe campaign, I never discussed Eowyn and Meriadoc as a romantic couple with my players; I just wondered about it privately.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Winged

The way I see it, there are two main ways to get started at world building; top down, and bottom up.

Top down design would be coming up with concepts and then figuring out where those ideas would come from in the setting.

For example you might start knowing that you want a group of monks who are master swordsmen and seek to resolve conflicts before they can become wars. To support this idea you would work backwards.You decide that after a very long war some number of generations ago a number of swordsmen shaken by the senselessness of war retired from military life to study philosophy, the followers of these men are your modern sword monks.If you like you can keep working your way back, deciding what the aforementioned war was about, and so on.

Bottom up is the opposite, you look at what you already have and try to guess what it may become.

For example if you draw up a map with nothing but raw geography and you decide that the grasslands are populated by a nomadic people living on horseback. You decide that for a few years in a row the herds of the nomads main food source has been dwindling causing the people to spend a lot more time fishing. The culture eventually subsist mainly on fish and move from a culture that lives on horses to one that lives on ships. In time they become a feared naval power. Now you have a culture of warriors with ships painted with horses all over them using long bows that have replaced they short bows they would have hunted with from horseback.

Naturally you can combine the two methodologies and bounce ideas back and forth, perhaps the war i mentioned the the first example lead to a food shortage which caused a bunch of people to over hunt the deer populations that the plains people needed and set the second example into action.

As for starting the game without the world entirely though out consider the following. The entire map in Skyrim take up like 2 square miles of the real world. Unless you intend for your players to be traveling far and wide you can actually get a ton of game out of a very small area even in a sand box, and even if players want to travel and explore, travel on foot or horse is still very slow in a world without well maintained roads. I you are worried about your players asking questions about parts of the world you don't have built yet give them the basics of the ideas you have during character creation, and f no one wants to be from one of your distant lands it can be on the back burner for a while.
Winged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
Refplace

I have creatred each campaign world I ran prety much from scratch with liberal borrowing for details.
I found that many sections I lovelingly created were ignored or barely looked into by the players and others I had just done a rough outline for were explored and enjoyed very well.

My advice is make it but try to make a lot of detail sections modular like major NPCs or recent historical events something you can move around to place in front of the players if needed.
Take notes in play about what happens to better fit them permanently into your world and often players spark important ideas to use.
Out line in broad terms most of your world and build details as inspiration strikes but mostly where the players may see it sooner rather then later.
The outlines help you keep onistency and can be used to help with spur of the moment creation.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #9
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winged View Post

For example if you draw up a map with nothing but raw geography and you decide that the grasslands are populated by a nomadic people living on horseback. You decide that for a few years in a row the herds of the nomads main food source has been dwindling causing the people to spend a lot more time fishing. The culture eventually subsist mainly on fish and move from a culture that lives on horses to one that lives on ships. In time they become a feared naval power. Now you have a culture of warriors with ships painted with horses all over them using long bows that have replaced they short bows they would have hunted with from horseback.
That would resemble some tribes of ghazis and cossacks. The reverse transfer of environment would resemble the Rus.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #10
jason taylor

One system is to get some generic concepts that are recognizable in many parts of the world and adapt them. Every people will have to deal with many of the same problems, but they will come up with different solutions depending on their values and the nature of their environment and what not. For instance they will need to ask, "how to eat", "how to provide security", "how to judge disputes", "what to do with leisure", and so on.

Tags
campaigns, fantasy, game mastering, sandbox, worldbuilding