Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM   #31
aesir23

Default Re: Thoughts on Dragon hide armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Gotta admit, I really like that. If I ever get my Age of Myth setting off the ground, I'll probably steal this idea.

However, a question arises - how long does it take for someone wearing the dragon hide armor to turn into a dragon? And why don't people know about it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
because the fledgling dragon takes over the mind first, and waits for a good time to reveal itself. People don't think 'Barl turned into a dragon', they think 'a dragon showed up and ate Barl'. In fact, that may be where all the 'family member' stories come from. The followers of the dragon slayer wear the armor, and turn into dragons much like the first.
To be really plausible, the transformation must be delayed. Perhaps years.

And dragon hide must be really tempting armor, so that nobody kills a dragon and just leaves the hide.

Perhaps, through magic or microscopic parasites, the death of the dragon causes a compulsion to make and wear dragon hide armor.

Then, years down the road, when the hero is finished adventuring (and in the process has build upon the original treasure horde) another compulsion will hit to go off on "one last adventure"...alone.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

If the dragon can polymorphy, there will be a lot of dragon propaganda spreading not just how to make the hide armor, but its virtues
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

And dragon hide must be really tempting armor, so that nobody kills a dragon and just leaves the hide.
I'd solve it with a combination: dragon treasure is cursed (there's a long tradition of this); those who possess it want to hoard it and become jealous about it (there's a long tradition of this one). It also causes you to want to become a dragon. Dragon hide armor turns you into a dragon, but only after you've succumbed to the dragon treasure curse.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #34
Langy

I think it'd work better if the dragon hide armor slowly turning you into a dragon is actually mistaken to be a curse on the dragon's horde.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #35
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
I think it'd work better if the dragon hide armor slowly turning you into a dragon is actually mistaken to be a curse on the dragon's horde.
There needs to be something that causes people to actually wear the dragon hide armor. Even if it's really nice armor, someone who's already got a dragon hoard probably doesn't need to wear his armor that much because, well, he's got enough money to retire on. Unless he's picked up Miser, but again, that should be something that comes from the hoard, not something that comes from the armor.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #36
Langy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There needs to be something that causes people to actually wear the dragon hide armor. Even if it's really nice armor, someone who's already got a dragon hoard probably doesn't need to wear his armor that much because, well, he's got enough money to retire on. Unless he's picked up Miser, but again, that should be something that comes from the hoard, not something that comes from the armor.
It probably looks really nice and is really comfortable. Even if he doesn't need it for armor, it can probably be put to use as clothing instead.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #37
martinl

I always wanted to have a batch of PCs with dragon hide armor meet a dragon wearing human hide armor that bounced their attacks.

Last edited by martinl; 02-25-2013 at 01:05 PM.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM   #38
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I always wanted to have a batch of PCs with dragon hide armor meet a dragon wearing human hide armor that bounced their attacks.
You mean plate Armor? humans don't have much of a hide.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #39
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post

Perhaps, through magic or microscopic parasites, the death of the dragon causes a compulsion to make and wear dragon hide armor.

Then, years down the road, when the hero is finished adventuring (and in the process has build upon the original treasure horde) another compulsion will hit to go off on "one last adventure"...alone.
Or make dragon hide irresistibly sexy and watch co-evolution - humans who like dragon armor will be selected for and dragon armor that is sexy will also be selected for.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #40
Flyndaran
Untagged

A curse that makes the owner of dragon hide keep getting exposed to the type of damage the hide protects against.
"Lucky I have this armor proof against acid with all these blasted acid beasts attacking me lately."

Tags
dragon, dungeon fantasy, fantasy