Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 03-04-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
chec

Default Munchkin Fantasy: Some Rules Questions

Hi, I'm a fairly new to playing munchkin and i'm hoping to clear some stuff up on this thread :)

1. Cheat - only items can be applied on the cheat card right? not monsters, curses, etc.

can you:
- play the card in replacement of Wandering Monster
- play the card in replacement of super munchkin/half breed
- play the card to block or reflect a curse

2. Items - what are items specifically? is the term "items" limited to:

hand weapons/armor/headgear/footgear and item enhancers? or does it extend to other kinds of door/treasure cards?

3. Placing (un-equipped) cards on the table to prevent charity: is there any restrictions on which kind of cards are allowed to be placed on the table to prevent charity? can we place as many cards as we want?

4. Super Munchkin Card states that: if you played this card you are technically immune of the disadvantages of your Class (this is when you choose not to have two classes). So does this mean for example:

I'm a super thief, can I steal any time and i can try and steal as much as i can coz i do not have the disadvantage of "discarding an item to steal"

can i backstab more than once now that i am a super thief? and not discard as well?

i think its easier to understand the rules for other classes once we clear this up :)

4. My friend told me that if you do not want to give to charity (assuming that someone is at a lower level than you) you can just discard. is this allowed?

I'm sure to be active in this forums, as far as i know I'm one of the many followers of SJ games in the Philippines and we're hoping to host a tourney soon in partner with some gaming organizers :)

thanks everyone!

Last edited by chec; 03-04-2013 at 11:25 PM.
chec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 PM   #2
bonetm

Default Re: Munchkin Fantasy: Some Rules Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by chec View Post
Hi, I'm a fairly new to playing munchkin and i'm hoping to clear some stuff up on this thread :)

1. Cheat - only items can be applied on the cheat card right? not monsters, curses, etc.

can you:
Hi, welcome to Munchkin

In this post you can see all a Cheat! card can do. As you noticed yourself, it can only by used on Itens, so all of the answers are no.

Quote:

hand weapons/armor/headgear/footgear and item enhancers? or does it extend to other kinds of door/treasure cards?
Anything with a Gold Value is an Item. Even if it says No Value (which means zero). If there isn't a value, it isn't an Item.
Quote:
3. Placing (un-equipped) cards on the table to prevent charity: is there any restrictions on which kind of cards are allowed to be placed on the table to prevent charity? can we place as many cards as we want?
You can only play Items, Race, Class on the table. The only restriction for Race and Class is that you can have only one of each (unless a Super Munchkin/Half-Breed). You can have as many small Items as you want, but can only carry (i.e. have in play) one Big Item.

Quote:
4. Super Munchkin Card states that: if you played this card you are technically immune of the disadvantages of your Class (this is when you choose not to have two classes). So does this mean for example:

I'm a super thief, can I steal any time and i can try and steal as much as i can coz i do not have the disadvantage of "discarding an item to steal"

can i backstab more than once now that i am a super thief? and not discard as well?

i think its easier to understand the rules for other classes once we clear this up :)
The Super Munchkin card does not change the costs for using an ability. This is not a disadvantage. What it does is allowing you to use Items that would be normally prohibited to the Class, or not giving bonus to Monsters that have a bonus to your Class. The special abilities don't change.

Quote:
4. My friend told me that if you do not want to give to charity (assuming that someone is at a lower level than you) you can just discard. is this allowed?
Obviously, no. The Charity phase say you must give cards away. You can PLAY cards before your Charity phase, such as Small Items on the table or play Curses on other players, Races or Class cards, to avoid Charity. But if you have nothing you can play (or doesn't want to), you have to give to the lowest Level player.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 PM   #3
tremorlaine

edit: Bonetm beat me to it :)

Quote:

can you:
Cheat can only be played on items.

Quote:

If the card has a Gold value in the lower right corner (the words No Value counts as a value of 0 Gold) then it is an item whether it is a Door or Treasure card.

Quote:
You can place Items on the table turned sideways to indicate they are just being carried and not Used. There are no restrictions to the amount of Small Items you can carry but you can only carry/Use 1 Big Item (unless there is another card in play that alters that amount such as Dwarf).

Quote:

No conditional costs of using an ability is not considered a disadvantage. It is the price you pay. Being a Super Munchkin (and only have 1 Class) or a Half-Breed (and only have 1 Race) will prevent a Monster from getting a bonus against said Race or Class.

Quote:
No. Unless you are the lowest Level or tied for the lowest Level you must give Charity if you cannot, or do not want to, play enough cards to bring you to the card hand limit.

Last edited by tremorlaine; 03-04-2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: typed too slow :)
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
chec

Wow! thanks for the quick replies guys :)

Quote:
You can place Items on the table turned sideways to indicate they are just being carried and not Used. There are no restrictions to the amount of Small Items you can carry but you can only carry/Use 1 Big Item (unless there is another card in play that alters that amount such as Dwarf).
Quote:
You can only play Items, Race, Class on the table. The only restriction for Race and Class is that you can have only one of each (unless a Super Munchkin/Half-Breed). You can have as many small Items as you want, but can only carry (i.e. have in play) one Big Item.
one more thing, if you place cards sideways (meaning you are not using them) just placing them down to to prevent charity, is this move restricted to items/treasure cards only or you can even do this with other cards like monsters/curses?
Old 03-05-2013, 12:39 AM   #5
bonetm

Quote:
Wow! thanks for the quick replies guys :)

one more thing, if you place cards sideways (meaning you are not using them) just placing them down to to prevent charity, is this move restricted to items/treasure cards only or you can even do this with other cards like monsters/curses?
You can only play Items sideways. Not all Treasure cards are Items (only the ones with Gold Value).
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:08 AM   #6
chec

great stuff :) i currently have Munchkin Deluxe with M1 & M2. in two weeks im gonna get my M6-M8.

hope we get to use all cards though :)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

One suggestion, which you may use or ignore at your leisure: adding all the expansions at once might be a bit overwhelming. Step it up and add one every couple of games. (Bonus: this might be incentive to play more often!)

Also, the first time you try M6, I'd try it just with base Munchkin and nothing else. It has enough weird interactions that you'll want to keep the first game as simple as possible.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 AM   #8
chec

thanks andrew! :) i'm also planning on getting some Munchkin Accessories on the next month (when Game Changers is out).

Tags
clerical errors, fantasy, munchkin, unnatural axe