Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-14-2018, 10:31 PM   #21
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: [DF] Maximizing Maces

An alternative would be to allow the character to take Striking ST with the limitations of One Weapon Type Only, -60%. For 2 CP/level, the character increases their Striking ST by one per level when using Maces. When you combine it with Weapon Master (Mace), you can have a character who is pure murder when swinging or throwing a Mace.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:33 AM   #22
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
What's the combat reason (not social, monetary, etc. reason) to select a mace over an axe?
They are heavier, so they hit harder. They are easier to upkeep (no worrying about an edge). They are (as Icelender said) easier to use, not generally having to worry about striking with an edge (unless it's a flanged mace, but even then the worry is less). They are easier to make.

For everyone going "they break bones"... so do axes. Seriously. You do not want to get hit on your tender fleshy bits by my hatchet.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:28 AM   #23
Daigoro

My understanding, from a show I saw once, was that maces were selected for use against well-armoured targets, like knights in full plate. The mace would concuss or dehorse the knight, then his opponent would threaten the grounded knight with a rondel dagger.

I guess to model this in GURPS, we'd need to reanalyze how realistic sword blows penetrating armour is.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:07 AM   #24
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
I guess to model this in GURPS, we'd need to reanalyze how realistic sword blows penetrating armour is.
We really, really do not need to go through that again. Besides, the OP was asking about maces vs. axes.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:14 AM   #25
AlexanderHowl

Well, we would need to reexamine how effective cutting weapons are against armor (impaling weapons seem to be effective against armor in the archeological record). One way to model it would be to have armor possess double DR against cutting attacks (meaning that swinging cutting attacks like axes and swords would be best against unarmed portions of targets) but, unlike an attack with Armor Divisor (0.5), targets with bare skin would not receive DR 1 against cutting attacks. Maces would be more effective against most armored targets because they deal crushing damage and face only normal DR.

Now, the effectiveness of Cutting Attacks purchase with points would have to change to reflect the cost change, so I would suggest that Cutting Attacks receive +1 damage (costing 7 CP per 1d+1 rather than per 1d). Natural weapons (Cutting Strikers, Sharp Claws, Sharp Teeth, etc) would likewise receive +1 damage per die, which would be cumulative with any damage bonuses from Brawling, Karate, etc.

What would be the result? Well, an axe swung by a character with ST 12 would deal 2d+1 cutting damage, dealing an average of 8 points of cutting damage before multipliers. Against a target wearing DR 5 plate armor, it would only deal 0 damage, because it would be acting against an effective DR 10. The same character wielding a mace would deal 4 damage through the armor though, which would give a very good reason for characters to wield maces in combat.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, mace