Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-11-2009, 01:18 AM   #1
Randover

Default Reporting from playtest of Mage creating Cash

So far I have played to session under special rules agreement with GM.

My character has Tenure Advatage and is able to create 4$ per hour.

We have started easy.

The only difference was that GM offered more money for the task at hand. And my mage happily agreed. From the group point of view I would say that we are finely adventuring and characters do progress to better Wealth levels. Before that risking your life was paid as Avarage Job...

Next phase is that I would adress the group that every FP spent is 1$. The main reason is that our group healer is greatly underestimate with her abilities to fix almost anything a bringing seriously harmed characters into action.

So the main issue is opening discussion: How do you handle characters that actualy are better in what they do than most commoners.

So while I didn't managet to test more powerfull version of Looting method, the issue of character employment, payment and motivation is also nice result.

My original homerules are yet to be playtested in fully blown campaign. They intend to let mages Create up to 200$ per Hour. Taking mages out of fight, into role of Core requirement of high fantasy adverurous groups.
Randover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
The Final Door

Default Re: Reporting from playtest of Mage creating Cash

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I've always wondered about the place in the world for a Money College in magic! I bet a lot of Wall Street investment hunters would like to know Seek Money :)
Old 01-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
Randover

My economical friend whos studies economy did said the same. The place seems to be there.

But I am in more vulgar line of mages creating anything pernamently, if they have enought energy and power. So basicly its few machanics that handles holes like Create Earth, earth to stone spells.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
Anaraxes

Quote:
How do you handle characters that actualy are better in what they do than most commoners?
Isn't that sort of the point of heroic roleplaying?

Most of the characters I create have a reason for adventuring other than simply a way to make money. If that were the only motivation, then certainly they'd survey their options and take the one that paid the most, which might be staying and home and living a nice, safe, boring, life. Adventuring isn't exactly a rational thing to be doing, so I suspect most adventurers should have a non-monetary motivation.

(And if money is the only thing that matters, why wouldn't the Big Bad just buy off the party the first time he noticed? He just pays more to have them stay away than they'd expect to gain. Kind of spoils the drama of the final scene when after struggling all the way up Mount Doom, Frodo meets the Mouth of Sauron, swaps the Ring for a check and heads home.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #5
The Final Door

LOL, I see my party running racketeering schemes with every nasty they can find!

On the creation of money by magic, it seems, in game terms, fairly simple. In a standard fantasy setting, it is a variant of creating metal, i.e. turning stuff into gold (an old favorite of alchemists). In modern days, it might requiry some serious skills in forgery, artistry, and the like to reproduce money bills. Or something in electronics to create electronic currency (or just make the ATM spit out money for free).

How to balance it in a campaign, well, that's a bit tougher...
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
Gudiomen

Personaly, I think there are dozens of alternatives to keep my characters motivated even if they become filthy rich. If I were to create a setting in which magic could routinely create wealth, I'd just make the focus of the campaign getting magic items, travel, politics, quests for glory instead of money, etc...
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
Randover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudiomen
Personaly, I think there are dozens of alternatives to keep my characters motivated even if they become filthy rich. If I were to create a setting in which magic could routinely create wealth, I'd just make the focus of the campaign getting magic items, travel, politics, quests for glory instead of money, etc...
Well that is my point, maybe little too radical, but Majority of local community likes personal drama. I hate it, or more likely I want to offer something different. Mine OWN.
Old 01-12-2009, 01:12 AM   #8
Witchking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes
Kind of spoils the drama of the final scene when after struggling all the way up Mount Doom, Frodo meets the Mouth of Sauron, swaps the Ring for a check and heads home.)
No checks, cash only!!
Old 01-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #9
Witchking

As to OP with few execptions for most PC's money is just a tool, not a goal in and of itself.

My currenct PC's main motivation is preparing himself for a climatic battle at the end of time (think revelations) when he and his brethen in the Order of the Blue Star (thank you MZB) will stand alone against the forces of Primal Chaos (Cowthulu, Nyalarth#$#@@#, vistors from the Plains of Leng, etc). I havent met them all yet but I doubt I will be able to buy them off...

It could come tomorrow but is likely a ways off, so I am building my knowledge base and cultivating my personal power, I am with this party for now because it suits my end goal. I am learning things with them that I wouldnt working 9-5 at the College of Mages.

<Number 42. Number 42. You're Number 42? OK wadda want? You want to see in the dark for how long? That will be 15 sp for the next 2 hrs. Mumble Wave Cast *Heads back to the lounge to drink tea and watch the clock*>

Just my 2 coppers
Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 AM   #10
Randover

Yes but I am talking about extreme where usualy if you start Wealth you will loose equipment, next game you might loose eye or get crazy. Because this personal drama (Torture) is supported by good halve of our community.

And all you get back is angry emloyer, maybe a Patron that goes unhappy about you not able to please him and is removed as patron and later on he bacames your enemy.

Everything of it is Dramatical to its core, but too much is too much.