Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 09-13-2019, 11:51 AM   #51
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Douglas Cole speculation thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
This Douglas Cole version of Icelandic/'Norse is doing strange things to my head. I see words that are familiar but strange at the same time.
If you want to (or already have) come on board my internal discord server as a consultant to get my Icelandic closer to something not insane, you're welcome any time!

Quote:
Incidentally, Uppskriftabók would be Recipe Book while Matreiðslubók is the word used for cook books.
Interesting - nice context.

One of the concepts I'm playing with here would actually change the title to this:

Herfang Híkin

That should be "Loot the Bodies" and would be broader than "cook and eat that there dragon after you dispatch him."

So I'm still thinking about stuff, but it would make a great accompanying volume.

And I really am serious about being a language consultant. PM me if you're interested.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #52
bert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Þorkell View Post
This Douglas Cole version of Icelandic/'Norse is doing strange things to my head. I see words that are familiar but strange at the same time.
Now I am Swedish and Danish, but some words and titles also mess with my head...
bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #53
Anders

Well, for Swedish at least, a large part of our vocabulary is more German than Norse, brought in by the Hanse in the 13th to 16th century. For instance, "ansikte" ("face") is German ("ansicht") not Norse (which was "anlete"). So many words will sound strange to Swedes because we're used to German, not Old Norse.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #54
bert

Well, Old Norse ("Fornnordiska") is also a germanic language, so I think they are not so far away as you might think. And "anlete" is a synonym to "ansikte" in Swedish. In any case, Icelandic is in the same branch as Swedish and Danish, at least before they were divided into East Scandinavian and West Scandinavian.

In any case I still like the flavor the names and title gives in GB's Norse-inspired setting; in my opinion, since it is a fantasy setting, it does not need to be "correct" (whatever that means in this context, maybe historically accurate), it is far more important that it is internally consistent.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:33 AM   #55
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert View Post
In any case I still like the flavor the names and title gives in GB's Norse-inspired setting; in my opinion, since it is a fantasy setting, it does not need to be "correct" (whatever that means in this context, maybe historically accurate), it is far more important that it is internally consistent.
Fair. Even so, some consultation is good, since two of my names, "high lord" and "lizard-people," I had originally declined as har jarl and eðla fólk.

Well. Apparently without the proper fixin' to hajarl and eðlufólk, the first was "hair lord," which while metal, wasn't the thing I was going for, and something vaguely profane/naughty (maybe not so vague).

Ergo: consults.
Old 09-16-2019, 01:49 PM   #56
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
If the basic power type doesn't appear in the boxed set, there is roughly 0% chance of working out a system for it. If various special snowflake abilities appear ("oh, this creature does X as a fiat power! Woe to the PCs!") then it can appear as a power for a monster. If there's neither system nor special unique ability it won't appear.

Even if I really wanted Lovecraftian Horror to be central to my setting (and it was removed from Dragon Heresy), I do not wish to EVER build something unapproachable to a gamer who only has the reprinted boxed set.
That is too bad. I was hoping for a setting that had lots of different types of powers like psionics and monsters like Elder Things because if they are not in the original setting then they are hard to insert because the world is not balanced anymore and monsters with psionics will have a huge advantage over other monsters. It is sort of like the way invasive species work, the new species in a new ecosystem takes over because it’s advantages are not balanced because it has few predators or diseases or the prey don’t recognize them as predators.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:31 AM   #57
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic speculation thread

Quick mod note: At Douglas Cole's request, I've edited this thread's title to reflect the fact that Gaming Ballistic is bigger than just Douglas now. Carry on!

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:12 AM   #58
Anders

Thank you for that. Is it official who else is involved and - if it is - who is?
Old 09-18-2019, 09:34 AM   #59
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Thank you for that. Is it official who else is involved and - if it is - who is?
The "formal" list of folks working for GM as employees is still just me.

However, my recent books have been authored by David Pulver, Christopher R. Rice, J. Edward Tremlett, Kyle Norton, Merlin Avery, and Kevin Smyth.

I have myself and Emily Blain as editors.

I have used art and maps from Glynn Seal, Cornelia Yoder, Juan Ochoa, Rick Troula, Sandrine Malus, Matsya Das Bdds, Ksenia Kozhevnikova, Thomas Denmark, Ben Jan, and stock art from Dean Spencer and Rick Hershey. Plus some pre-visualization art from Bruno from these forums, and some of my original layout was done by Todd Crapper (yes, that's his real name) and Nathan Paoletta.

so it's a good-sized, and growing, team of collaborators. Not to mention the licensing and review part of it, ably facilitated by SJG staffers including Alain, Kromm, Phil, and Steve himself.

It's long past something I can just do myself.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:36 AM   #60
bert

Some very, very good folks on that list!

Tags
gaming ballistic, speculation