Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #11
Blood Legend

Default Re: Stat Challenge: Gollum

I'd say he's a lot stronger than his skinny frame would indicate, so his 'power' is just fine.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:41 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Legend View Post
I'd say he's a lot stronger than his skinny frame would indicate, so his 'power' is just fine.
The equivalent of a human with ST 16?
Old 01-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #13
Blood Legend

In a cinematic game? Pretty much. Most of my melee warriors -start- at 14 and hover between that and 18, so having an SM-1, ST 15 unarmored unarmed (til he finds a rock) strangle hermit isn't so bad.

---

Rewatching the film, he's probably got Low-Pain Threshold at certain points in the movie. Also what about Horizontal? At quirk level maybe but he's always on all fours.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #14
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
In a cinematic game? Pretty much. Most of my melee warriors -start- at 14 and hover between that and 18, so having an SM-1, ST 15 unarmored unarmed (til he finds a rock) strangle hermit isn't so bad.
Yeah, I don't have a problem with his strength as-written. He is clearly much stronger than he looks and seems to be treated as a genuine menace to a sword-armed Bilbo and to easily overpower most other Hobbits in grappling (all but the much larger Sam) from what we see on-screen.

Quote:
Rewatching the film, he's probably got Low-Pain Threshold at certain points in the movie. Also what about Horizontal? At quirk level maybe but he's always on all fours.
But he can stand up and use his hands without penalties. Maybe Semi-Upright?
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
Gnome

Quote:
Perhaps Semi-Upright.

I'm not sure I would give him a 14 DX though. I would say Gollum is quick but not graceful--12 or 13 DX from my reading.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #16
quarkstomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
He lived there for 300 years, didn't he?
He lived beneath the Misty Mountains in an underground lake somewhere beneath the goblin community under the High Pass. Although it's tempting to identify the Great Goblin's domain with Moria, The Misty Mountains is a pretty long mountain chain and Moria, vast as it is, only occupies a part of it.

On the other hand, Gollum could well have done a good deal of exploring in that time. Tolkien says he went into the mountains because he thought he could learn wonderful secrets; (and to avoid the "Yellow Face").

When Gollum turns up in Moria in Fellowship of the Ring, it is because he was trying to pass through Moria on his way west to hunt down Baggins, but the western gate was blocked. He probably did pick up a fair enough grasp of the geography while he was there; enough to be able to follow the Fellowship when their path led through Khazad-dum.
quarkstomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 AM   #17
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
He lived there for 300 years, didn't he?
No. He lived in the caves of the Great Goblin and his subjects. Those were not part of Moria, but many miles to its north.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:38 AM   #18
Purple Haze

Not that it matters but, he gets a lot of points from disads that give negative reaction modifiers, this smacks of double dipping as he both vigourously avoids social interaction, and past a certain point everybody hates him anyway it doesn't really matter by how much.

He needs a lot of Temperature Tolerance. He spends most of his time cold and wet, a human would be dead of hypothermia within days.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Not that it matters but, he gets a lot of points from disads that give negative reaction modifiers, this smacks of double dipping as he both vigourously avoids social interaction, and past a certain point everybody hates him anyway it doesn't really matter by how much.

He needs a lot of Temperature Tolerance. He spends most of his time cold and wet, a human would be dead of hypothermia within days.
Most modern humans, but not all. People can adapt to some pretty cold environments as long as they have enormous amounts of easily digestible fat. A simple hyperthyroid and moderate exercise has left me sweating in 50 degree weather and light clothing.
Old 01-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #20
Anders

Lowered ST to 6, changed Area Knowledge and gave his Gollum personality Loner rather than Gluttony. I stand by DX 14 - he is as agile as a cat. Will consider Semi-Upright, but I think he's better at handling tools than a gorilla or a chimp (of course, having IQ 10 helps here as well).

Regarding Temperature Tolerance - I'd rather lower his "comfortable temperature". This fits in with his dislike for the "Yellow Eye". And I'm not sure he actually is that much of a coward - getting scared crapless by the Nazgûl seems to me to be pretty rational.

Tags
character stats, filthy pocketsssesss, lotr