Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 AM   #1
Anders

Default [DF] I can haz gunpowderz?

How would things change if you introduced gunpowder into the DF world? Which of the professions would be likely to use gunpowder weapons? What are the consequences of using a lot of gunpowder underground - IIRC, they gave off quite a lot of smoke?
Old 09-11-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
mlangsdorf

Default Re: [DF] I can haz gunpowderz?

I'm toying with letting Scholars and Alchemists use gunpowder weapons, though I don't know how helpful that would be. Flintlock weapons really aren't that much different than or superior to crossbows in the context of most DF weapons. Caplock revolvers would be a different story.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:37 AM   #3
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
How would things change if you introduced gunpowder into the DF world? Which of the professions would be likely to use gunpowder weapons? What are the consequences of using a lot of gunpowder underground - IIRC, they gave off quite a lot of smoke?
They give off a lot of smoke compared to a modern firearm, but the smoke from a single person firing a pistol (or even a musket) once every 30 seconds or so probably isn't going to be enough to obscure even a single square.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:42 AM   #4
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
I'm toying with letting Scholars and Alchemists use gunpowder weapons, though I don't know how helpful that would be. Flintlock weapons really aren't that much different than or superior to crossbows in the context of most DF weapons. Caplock revolvers would be a different story.
There's not a lot of reason for a DF character to use a flintlock pistol when he could be using an accurized tricked-out repeating crossbow, but TL 3-4 muskets do some pretty terrifying damage - even if they are basically single-shot devices in the context of most DF skirmishes. The real problem at that point is the terrible Acc and the high weight; it's a lot to carry around for one shot per fight that may very easily miss (Note that I'm using Basic Set stats at a glance, here).

Guns don't become really deadly personal-combat weapons until TL 5 or so. Until then, they're fantastic for massed volleys and decent backup weapons, but not really suitable as a DF character's primary offense.

Of course, isn't that pretty much how they were used historically anyway?
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:47 AM   #5
Greg 1

A lot depends on the sort of cinematic abilities related to gunpowder that are available and what TL of guns the PCs can have.

TL 4 matchlocks, governed by realistic rules, aren't going to unbalance anything. On the other hand a PC with the Sharpshooter advantage and an Uzi probably will.

Three approaches strike me.

One would be making TL 4 firearms freely available, but not allowing cinemataic skills or abilities involving them.

One would be designing a dungeon fantasy character class around the cinematic use of TL 4 firearms. The trick is giving them an interesting niche alongside the bow-wielding Scout. Perhaps they trade RoF, reliability and some cinematic abilities for heavier damage.

One would would be designing a dungeon fantasy character class around the use of higher TL firearms (if other planes exist, perhaps a gunslinger or marine has slipped in from another universe).
Greg 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
shadowjack

I think as a dungeon-delver, instead of firearms, I'd be more interesting in grenades and petards—useful for blasting open doors, clearing small rooms, and setting traps to cover retreats.
shadowjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
weby

yes Grenades would be the best tool for DF. But also carrying a few pistols could be usefull in many situations. A rifle is kind of useless because of the heavy weight, one shot and no time to load in a fight. Ofcourse if you are strong enough that the weight does not matter, carrying a rifle and trying to shoot each boss once might on occasion score nice damage.
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
Anders

The problem is, of course, when the enemy is armed with flame weapons or spells. A person who carries around 20 lbs. of gunpowder and is hit with an Explosive Fireball... *ow*, I can't watch this...

Therefore:
Fire-proof Powder Horn
This powder horn - emblazoned with runes of protection and cold - holds 1 lb. of gunpowder (sufficient for 40 shots). It always feel slightly cold to the touch, and flames brought close to it burn with a dull red glow.
Cost: $10 000
Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
pyratejohn

I did the gunpowder in the dungeon thang back in my AD&D2 days. It was fun, and is worth trying at least once, but it definitely changes the dungeon delving paradigm.

Quote:
holds 1 lb. of gunpowder (sufficient for 40 shots)
The cartridges I roll for events average ~100 grains, maybe a bit more. I get about 75 cartridges from a one pound can of FFg.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:09 AM   #10
Anders

Similarly, I miss rules for what happens when the guy with the flamethrower (from Clerics) has a 4d Flame Jet directed at it... Cleric flambé...

Tags
dungeon fantasy, gunpowder