Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #1
Mack_JB
 
Mack_JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Default Infantry fire order

When the Infantry are being played by the AI, I'd like to see another minor change.

I am not quick enough with my eyes, but there have been several times (multiple times, actually) where INF have an Ogre totally surrounded (on all six sides), and the six 3/1 or 2/1 squads combine fire to shoot off a weapon, and succeed. I am then pretty positive at least some of those individual 1/1 fired INF have taken a second shot at treads before it moves on to the G.E.V.'s fire phase.

I'd like to see the current version of INF fire phase switched to a different version. Right now, if you have three, 3/1 units around an Ogre, each INF figure (1/1) will shoot in a sort of rotary pattern, with individuals from each 3/1 firing around the clock, until all nine 1/1 have fired. I've taken to counting these 1/1 shots each time.

Instead, I propose each hex of INF fires in order, so each 3/1 fires as a 1/1 until the entire hex has fired, then move on to the next hex of INF for their fire phase -- no bouncing back and forth between hexes.

In short, the present system of individual 1/1 INF doing combined fire from multiple hexes, then other 1/1 from those same hexes firing later, makes it really hard to tell if the AI isn't sneaking in another shot or two.

Or can you tell I really don't trust the AI? After yesterday's run of something like 15 N/E shots in a row with me using all manner of different odds ...
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Infantry fire order

"normal" behavior is everything in a hex fires, then you go to the next hex. There's no real reason to do one or the other. I don't have a problem with the INF going around the clock one at a time, but it is a little weird. I guess AIs fire to their own drum.

I can't say I've noticed that behavior, but that doesn't mean anything (I just haven't been looking for it).
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Infantry fire order

I am fairly sure this isn't a place where the AI is shooting too many times, unlike the issue with APs in overruns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
Mack_JB
 
Mack_JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Yeah, I 'm thinking I need to just delete and re-install the game, because mine IS having Infantry shoot as a combined force at a weapons system, then half of them take a second pot shot as individuals at treads.

I'm consistently rolling ones, in succession, and the AI is rolling fives and sixes. During the Mk. V duel, it doesn't matter which side I take, the AI consistently wipes my weapons off and I can't get theirs.

It makes the game no fun at all when you can see on turn three you physically can't win.

The most recent game, a "Mk. V Attacks" scenario:

My rolls (since I lost my weapons early, I shot far less):
1 = 12
2 = 6
3 = 4
4 = 1
5 = 4
6 = 1

The AI rolls:
1 = 9
2 = 19
3 = 16
4 = 13
5 = 20
6 = 17

And to top it off, at one point my Ogre, which had M2, when I clicked on two hexes away, moved one hex, did a full 360 degree pirouette, then moved to the second hex. I swear I am not making this up, and I don't drink.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 07:55 AM   #5
AurochJake
Moderator
 
AurochJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bristol, UK
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
Yeah, I 'm thinking I need to just delete and re-install the game, because mine IS having Infantry shoot as a combined force at a weapons system, then half of them take a second pot shot as individuals at treads.

I'm consistently rolling ones, in succession, and the AI is rolling fives and sixes. During the Mk. V duel, it doesn't matter which side I take, the AI consistently wipes my weapons off and I can't get theirs.

It makes the game no fun at all when you can see on turn three you physically can't win.

The most recent game, a "Mk. V Attacks" scenario:

My rolls (since I lost my weapons early, I shot far less):
1 = 12
2 = 6
3 = 4
4 = 1
5 = 4
6 = 1

The AI rolls:
1 = 9
2 = 19
3 = 16
4 = 13
5 = 20
6 = 17
That's a particularly bad set of rolls, but it's also not a huge data set. As other users have reported, the variety in rolls does seem fair when averaged out. There is nothing in the game which gives dice roll advantages to either the user or the AI, I absolutely assure you! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
And to top it off, at one point my Ogre, which had M2, when I clicked on two hexes away, moved one hex, did a full 360 degree pirouette, then moved to the second hex. I swear I am not making this up, and I don't drink.
By any chance, was your Ogre facing in the opposite direction from the intended hex you wished to move to? If so, this is expected behaviour - an Ogre will reverse if travelling in a straight line, but if this path bends at all, the Ogre will do a three-point turn and face the correct direction.

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 08:56 AM   #6
Mack_JB
 
Mack_JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
By any chance, was your Ogre facing in the opposite direction from the intended hex you wished to move to? If so, this is expected behaviour - an Ogre will reverse if travelling in a straight line, but if this path bends at all, the Ogre will do a three-point turn and face the correct direction.
The Ogre was facing north, and moving north. It literally did a full 360 degree spin in that first hex of two moved.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #7
GuyMacon
 
GuyMacon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
The Ogre was facing north, and moving north. It literally did a full 360 degree spin in that first hex of two moved.
You might not be drunk, but is the Ogre drunk? :)
GuyMacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:33 AM   #8
AurochJake
Moderator
 
AurochJake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Bristol, UK
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
The Ogre was facing north, and moving north. It literally did a full 360 degree spin in that first hex of two moved.
If you ever see this again, can you use the Replay function and possibly send us a clip? It's the first I've ever heard of it and I'm intrigued!

Which map and mode were you playing?

Thanks
AurochJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM   #9
GranitePenguin
 
GranitePenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Plainfield, IL
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
And to top it off, at one point my Ogre, which had M2, when I clicked on two hexes away, moved one hex, did a full 360 degree pirouette, then moved to the second hex. I swear I am not making this up, and I don't drink.
That could be related to a performance issue I saw earlier, too. On low-powered systems (for example, when I was running in a VM on my Mac; barely enough to be playable), the video card wasn't strong enough to process properly and the system would do very erratic things when displaying the Ogre moving. I would see it constantly move back and forth, spin, etc until I would zoom in to reduce the number of objects it was trying to manage, or pan away to a different area and pan back.

When I changed to running under Wine so the system had "full" access to the real hardware, it didn't do this nearly as much (I've seen maybe once or twice when the system was loaded).
__________________
GranitePenguin
MIB #2214
GranitePenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 09:13 AM   #10
Mack_JB
 
Mack_JB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Default Re: Infantry fire order

Quote:
Originally Posted by AurochJake View Post
If you ever see this again, can you use the Replay function and possibly send us a clip? It's the first I've ever heard of it and I'm intrigued!

Which map and mode were you playing?
I shall try and remember that next time, if it happens again.

I was using the standard "orange" map, and playing the Ogre against a PE AI force.
Mack_JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.