Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Stripe

Default [OOC] Dungeon Fantasy: Gorefest Dungeon II

Greetings!

Welcome to Gorefest Dungeon II, a sequel to Gorefest Dungeon ran here from January to March last year. Links to the first Gorefest Dungeon can be found below:

[IC] Dungeon Fantasy: Gorefest Dungeon
[OOC] Dungeon Fantasy: Gorefest Dungeon

This time, I'm seeking to start an old-school dungeon with play by post gaming augmented by weekly virtual table top sessions on Roll20.net. I like Roll20.net the best out of all the options because it is quick, simple and non-intrusive, and players don't even need to set up an account or download anything before hand to use it beyond putting in a name, password and (fictitious, if you'd like) e-mail. There's no confirmation e-mail or anything; just enough info so that you have a screen name when you join. All you do follow the link I provide. It's all in-browser; no client-side program. So, you just click on the link, fill out the four-question form if it's your first time on the site, and then click the big "Join Game" and you're in and playing. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

The time in which we'll meet will be determined later. However, it will likely be in the evening on weekends, Central time.

Unfortunately, I can't accept players who are unable to participate in weekly Roll20.net gameplay in line with Central time; it is required of all players. Please, if you're unable to commit to a weekly virtual tabletop session, kindly refrain from requesting to join the game. Thanks.

Hopefully, we can get at least three players to join despite the added virtual table top play.

Other than having fun, my primary goal for running this game is to further my understanding of the balance of combat encounters for a generic, standard Dungeon Fantasy party of three to five player characters. In that regard, the game will be a very plain hack-and-slash dungeon with very little role playing, almost no background story or creative descriptions, and really no rhyme or reason for monster, treasure or trap placement.

PbP will have a casual posting rate, but I'd like to see a post a day out of everyone.

We'll use Invisible Castle for dice rolls.

Character Creation:

Please use only the Basic Set, Magic, and DF 1-3 with DF 8 for equipment and DF 11 for later advancement (not generation). Please do not use other sources, including Pyramid or other DF or GURPS books such as Low Tech or Martial Arts. However, we will use the extended combat options from Martial Arts in game play.

Characters can be created with the standard 250 point budget with a -50/-5-point disadvantage limit.

Please follow the templates to the letter.

If choosing a racial template from DF3, please make certain there's enough points in the character template. See the Affording Racial Templates section of DF3. You may follow the Skimping rules if needed.

Please, please, please try to create very generic characters representative of non-advanced player knowledge, not super munchkins to astound the most experienced GURPS scholar. Remember, I'm trying to balance combat encounters, so incredibly clever (or terrible) builds won't help me. We don't need any trip/dodge/parry/throw/stun monkey builds.

We need a Knight, a Wizard, a Scout, and a Cleric. So, don't make a character that isn't a Knight, Wizard, Scout or Cleric until those positions have been filled.

Quite possibly, there will be very rapid PC advancement, most likely in the form of, "You get 20 character points to spend as you like and $20,000."

There will be treasure. Perhaps a lot if this pans out.

Prizes:

First to submit a finished character and be accepted: 10 character points or third place prize.

Second to submit a finished character and be accepted: 5 character points for use on skills or third place prize.

Third to submit a finished character and be accepted: One weapon from the Basic Set or DF1 appropriate for your character that is also of fine quality (+2 to +9 CF). First place winners who take this option may choose up to +30 CF of weapon modifiers instead, and second place up to +20 CF.

Fourth to submit a finished character and be accepted: A 1-point Bless spell (Magic, p. 129) enchanted onto an item of choice -- item sold separately!

Thanks for considering and I hope to see you in the Gorefest Dungeon II!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
ErhnamDJ

Default Re: [OOC] Dungeon Fantasy: Gorefest Dungeon II

Karl, half-ogre scout

Spoiler:  

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
zoncxs

Sir Hfuhruhurrn returns!

Name: Sir Hfuhruhurr
Race: Human

Attributes [135]
ST 17 [40] (ST includes +3 from 'Extra ST')
DX 14 [80]
IQ 10
HT 13 [30]
HP 16
Will 10
Per 10
FP 13

Basic Lift 58 lbs
Damage 1d+2/3d-1

Basic Speed 6.00 [-15]
Basic Move 6
Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 3 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages: Common (Native) [0].

Advantages [94]

Born War-Leader (2) [10]
Combat Reflexes [15]
Extra ST (3) (Affects ST) [30]
Fearlessness (2) [4]
Fit [5]
Hard to kill (2) [4]
Hard to subdue (2) [4]
High Pain Threshold [10]
Rapid Healing [5]
Signature Gear (Fortified lightened enchanted Elven Mail Shirt, Dwarven Throwing Axe, Fine Orichalcum Thrusting Broadsword) ($3,500) [7]
Trading points for cash (1) [1]

Disadvantages [-35]

Bloodlust (12 or less) [-10]
Obsession (Slay a specific type of monster) (12 or less) [-5]
Overconfidence (12 or less) [-5]
Sense of Duty (Adventuring companions) [-5]
Vow (Never refuse a challenge to combat) [-10]

Quirks [-5]

Alcohol Intolerance [-1]
Attentive [-1]
Broad-Minded [-1]
Horrible Hangovers [-1]
Imaginative [-1]

Packages [0]

Knight (Dungeon Fantasy) [0]

Skills [60]

Acrobatics DX/H - DX+1 15 [8]
Armoury/TL4 (Melee Weapons) IQ/A - IQ+1 10 [2]
Axe/Mace DX/A - DX+1 15 [4]
Bow DX/A - DX+2 16 [8]
Brawling DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Broadsword DX/A - DX+3 17 [12]
Climbing DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]
Connoisseur (Weapons) IQ/A - IQ+1 10 [2]
Fast-Draw (Arrow) DX/E - DX+1 15 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Fast-Draw (Sword) DX/E - DX+1 15 [1]
includes: +1 from 'Combat Reflexes'
Forced Entry DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Hiking HT/A - HT-1 12 [1]
Knife DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Leadership IQ/A - IQ+1 11 [1]
includes: +2 from 'Born War-Leader'
Shield (Shield) DX/E - DX+3 17 [8]
Spear DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]
Stealth DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]
Strategy (Land) IQ/H - IQ+0 10 [1]
Tactics IQ/H - IQ+1 10 [1]
Throwing DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]
Thrown Weapon (Axe/Mace) DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Thrown Weapon (Spear) DX/E - DX+0 14 [1]
Wrestling DX/A - DX-1 13 [1]

Stats [135] Ads [95] Disads [-35] Quirks [-5] Skills [60] = Total [250]

Encumbrance

None(0):-------BL 58 lb.----- BM 6 yd----Dodge 10.
Light(1):-------BL 116 lb.-----BM 4 yd----Dodge 9.
Medium(2):-----BL 174 lb.-----BM 3 yd----Dodge 8.
Heavy(3):------BL 348 lb.-----BM 2 yd----Dodge 7.
X-Heavy(4):----BL 580 lb.-----BM 1 yd----Dodge 6.

Hand Weapons

1 Medium Shield LC:4 $60 Wgt:15
Bash Dam:1d+2 cr Reach:1 Parry:No ST: Skill:ST:DX-4, SK:Shield (Buckler)-2, SK:Shield (Force)-2, SK:Shield (Shield) Notes:[2,3,4]
Rush Dam:slam+2 cr Reach:1 Parry:No ST: Skill:ST:DX-4, SK:Shield (Buckler)- 2, SK:Shield (Force)-2, SK:Shield (Shield) Notes:[2,3,4]

1 Spear LC:4|4|4 $40 Wgt:4
1H Dam:1d+4 imp Reach:1* Parry:10 ST:10 Skill:SK:Spear, ST:DX-5, SK:Polearm- 4, SK:Staff-2 Notes:[1]
2H Dam:1d+5 imp Reach:1, 2* Parry:10 ST:9† Skill:SK:Spear, ST:DX-5, SK:Polearm-4, SK:Staff-2 Notes:two hands

1 Dwavern Throwing Axe LC:4|4|4 $300 Wgt:4
1H Dam:3d+1 cut Reach:1 Parry:11 ST:11 Skill:SK:Axe/Mace, ST:DX-5, SK:Flail- 4, SK:Two-Handed Axe/Mace-3 Notes:[1]
2H Dam:3d+2 cut Reach:1 Parry:9 ST:10 Skill:SK:Two-Handed Axe/Mace, ST:DX- 5, SK:Axe/Mace-3, SK:Polearm-4, SK:Two-Handed Flail-4 Notes:[1]

1 Fine Orichalcum Thrusting Broadsword LC:4|4 $2400 Wgt:3
Swing Dam:3d+1 cut Reach:1 Parry:12 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4
Thrust Dam:1d+5 imp Reach:1 Parry:12 ST:10 Skill:SK:Sword!, SK:Broadsword, ST:DX-5, SK:Force Sword-4, SK:Rapier-4, SK:Saber-4, SK:Shortsword-2, SK:Two-Handed Sword-4

Ranged Weapons

1 Regular Bow (ST 16) LC:4 Dam:1d+3 imp Acc:2 Range:240 / 320 RoF:1 Shots:1(2) ST:10† Bulk:-7 Rcl:- $100 Wgt:2 Notes:[3]

1 Spear LC:4|4|4 Dam:1d+5 imp Acc:2 Range:16 / 24 RoF:1 Shots:T(1) ST:9 Bulk:-6 Rcl:- $40 Wgt:4

1 Throwing Axe LC:4|4|4 Dam:3d+1 cut Acc:2 Range:16 / 24 RoF:1 Shots:T(1) ST:11 Bulk:-3 Rcl:- $300 Wgt:4

Armor & Possessions

1 Legionary Helmet $150 Wgt:6 Location:skull, face--------------------------------DR 4
1 heavy leather Sleeves $50 Wgt:2 Location:arms-------------------------------------------DR 2
1 Leather Gloves $30 Wgt:0 Location:hands---------------------------------------DR 2*
1 Fortified lightened enchanted Elven mail shirt $750 Wgt:12 Location:torso, groin---DR 5*
1 Studded Leather Skirt $60 Wgt:4 Location:groin, legs----------------------------DR 3/2*
1 Boots $80 Wgt:3 Location:feet-------------------------------------------------DR 2*

1 Cornucopia Quiver $110 Wgt:0.5 Location:
1 Bodkin Cornucopia Quiver $110 Wgt:0.5 Location:

1 Backpack, Small $60 Wgt:3 Location: Torso
1 Blanket $20 Wgt:4 Location: Backpack
1 Canteen $10 Wgt:3 Location: Backpack
4 Elven Rations $60 Wgt:2 Location: Backpack
1 Personal Basics $5 Wgt:1 Location: Backpack
1 Rope, 3/8'' (per 10 yards) $5 Wgt:1.5 Location: Backpack
3 Torch $9 Wgt:3 Location: Backpack
1 Whetstone $5 Wgt:1 Location: Backpack
1 Wineskin $10 Wgt:.25 Location: Backpack
1 Potion Belt $60 Wgt: 1 Location: Torso
2 Minor Healing Potion $240 Wgt: 1 Location: Potion Belt
2 Alchemist’s Fire $200 Wgt: 2 Location: Potion Belt

DESCRIPTIONS

Potion Belt. Belt with four slots, each of which can carry
one “grenade” bottle or two potion vials. Wearer can reach
them with Ready or Fast-Draw. Padding removes risk of accidental
breakage and gives containers +2 DR vs. deliberate
attacks. $60, 1 lb.

Minor Healing Potion (Drinkable). Heals 1d HP. $120, 0.5 lb

Alchemist’s Fire (Grenade). Self-igniting sticky oil! A direct
hit causes 1d burning damage/second for 30 seconds or until
the target rolls on ground; armor DR protects at 1/5 normal.
Tossed at the ground, it creates a two-yard-radius fire (1d-1
burn/second) for 30 seconds. $100, 1 lb

money: $26

Last edited by zoncxs; 07-02-2014 at 06:38 AM.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM   #4
Stripe

All right! Two OG's already! Good to see you guys! :D

EDJ, I demand you play a Wizard. Just kidding! ;) I love the half-ogre Scout concept. Brings to mind heavy artillery.

Zon, awesome to see our Knight's return for more blood! Looking forward to you reprising your role as the big shield. :)

I'm getting ready to step out, but I'll be back to give them a quick look see.

What times are you both considering for Roll20.net? What days and times are best?

It would be nice to get one more player, but it may not happen, so I'm thinking we start the game here on perhaps the 5th, then start looking at the 12th for our first VT session. Perhaps 7 p.m. to midnight, CDT? Earlier? Like 5 p.m. to 10 p.m.?

Let me know. :)
Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
ErhnamDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
EDJ, I demand you play a Wizard.
I had considered it, but I figured I'd give someone else that fun this time.

Quote:
What times are you both considering for Roll20.net? What days and times are best?
Saturday afternoon is best for me.

Quote:
It would be nice to get one more player, but it may not happen
You could probably fill out the group if you ask in the IRC channel.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47 PM   #6
zoncxs

Saturday is likewise good for me. I have that day off for work.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM   #7
Stripe

Looks like we've already got one more, maybe. :)

And, yeah, I've not asked either IRC channels yet.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 PM   #8
Stripe

Well, we've had two showing interest, both in Cleric, but no real commitment. I'd rather have at least three players before we start. Everything I do is geared for 3-6 players with 4-5 being the sweet spot.

I don't know why I said we'd start on the 5th knowing good and well this is a big holiday weekend anyway. Stay tuned for early this week.

If we have to go at it with two players, I'll GMPC a super awesome Cleric that'll make your stupid PC's look so dumb. Also, he'll get all the sweet loot and hawt babes. His name will be Radical Roxorz. Everywhere he walks, heavy metal music plays.

You know, typical GMPC in other words. ;)
Old 07-04-2014, 11:23 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

I'd love to get in on this, but I'm not sure how reliable I'd be able to be for the Saturday sessions.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
Stripe

Man, I hear you. Once people get past that Roll20.net is easy to join and play and is about as close to the kitchen table as a VTT can be, I think actually committing time is the hardest part.

People, myself included, just seem to find it hard to actually schedule time for a social activity. Added to that, Internet RP doesn't seem like a "real thing" to most people.

Player: "Sorry, can't go out. I got a thing tonight starting at five."

Friend: "What's that?"

Player: "I'm going to sit at home on my computer."

Friend: "You do that all the time anyway!"

You just gotta do it. You gotta say that this is the time I'm setting to role play, it's important, and I'm going to do it and agree to do nothing else. Friends want to go out? Nope. Girlfriend wants you to go shopping? Nope. Family want to spend time around the grill? Nope. Neighbor wants help? Nope. World needs saved? Sorry. Call Superman. I'm role playing!

From five to about ten, you're involved in a real commitment to real people doing a real thing.

It ain't easy! We all have different stuff we could be doing and almost everyone leads busy lives. No one has time! It takes making time. That means forcing open a time slot to role play once a week and giving it a high priority.

That's just how I look at it. It's what I had to do to lift weights. If I didn't set a super high priority on lifting, I'd never do it. There would always be something else to do.

Tags
dungeon fantasy