Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-29-2014, 07:58 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: other potential ATE, DF, MH OR Action series?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
For broad genre treatments, i see an opening for GURPS Westerns, but frankly, that is like GURPS Space Opera - Action at a different TL. Really, Id like to see the Action li e expanded to cover other action movie genres.

We kind of have an Action-Horror line with MH, but a purely Horror line has a chance of being distinct an interesting, assuming a market exists.
Yeah, I really would like that nd it seems simple enough. Sort of adding a world design book for each setting for the Action line.
A lot of settings are in the Action mode but have enough cultural detail to be fleshed out, along with some rules references and GM tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Space Opera, yeah, of various flavours.

MIlitary Sci-fi too, for that matter.

And Cyberpunk. Or perhaps it could be an X-punk series- cyber-, steam-, dino-, erm... fluffy-punk.
For that matter a Mystery line might work too.
Also imagine an Animae or Manga line.
You could expand the MH line with enemy books or really different setting conventions, like After The Fall or MH: Alians
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #12
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
For broad genre treatments, i see an opening for GURPS Westerns, but frankly, that is like GURPS Space Opera - Action at a different TL. Really, Id like to see the Action li e expanded to cover other action movie genres.

We kind of have an Action-Horror line with MH, but a purely Horror line has a chance of being distinct an interesting, assuming a market exists.
Actually, that migt be a way to take it forwards.

GURPS Action: Space Opera
GURPS Action: Westerns
GURPS Action: Swords and Sandals

A line that takes an established genre and shifts it up or down the tech levels.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:07 AM   #13
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post

A line that takes an established genre and shifts it up or down the tech levels.
Pulp Action, which in a way they've already started work on with the Pulp Weapons supps, not to mention the Fairbairn martial arts supplement.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
One idea

A tactical combat modern supers game

Clear distictive modern to superscience tech.

Powers (and power level) can be distictive

Clear templates like Brick, blaster etc

Narrowish genre... punching baddies

There are other competitors out there, but supers as a genre isnt hugely successful for GURPS.
It doesn't seem to be a high priority, but I've been lead to believe it's more successful than the various historical lines. Mind you, that's based on hearsay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I can't, unless you can also imagine a "movies" line. In my collection alone, there's supers anime, old-west anime, space-opera anime, Action-style anime, DF-style anime, horror anime, soap-opera-style anime, and many, many more.

If you meant "over-the-top unarmed-combat stories," that's Martial Arts with all the cinematic options turned on - no need for an entire line devoted to it.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:

Indeed.

One could make a GURPS Action: The 60s supplement, to enable the running of "James Bond"- and "Mission Impossible"-era campaigns. The main reason not to do so is that AEG already published a "Sixties" supplement for their Spycraft 1 OGL game, about a decade ago. (Personally, I'd love to see an 80s supplement, although given how little different 1980 or 1985 is from 2010 it'd probably be sufficient with a long and very well-thought-out Pyramid article.)

And a general reson for "starting over" with a separate line, e.g. a "distilled GURPS" for self-contained Space Opera, is that GURPS Action apperently is selling a lot worse than GURPS DF. Otherwise there'd be numerous supplements out by now, not just Action 3. So starting over with a new line and "brand name" would avoid whatever stigma the buyers are seeing GURPS Action as having.

I don't think a self-contained Supers is doable, in a style similar to Action/DF/MH. There's too much potential variety in abilities, even if the power level is locked down, e.g. at 300 CP. You'd need a lot of variations over the same themes, blasters of many flavours (fire, radiation, frost, lightning, and so forth) and varieties (long-ranger, rapid fire, broad-beam). GURPS can do that (obviously) but enumerating it and spelling it out to facilitate (and empower) player choice would require an enormous page count.

That kind of distillation-of-GURPS might be the best way to deal with the concept of supernormals in a Superheroes setting, though, since it's buying into a unGURPSy tradition of required character creation templates and restricted character advancement options. Given the frequency of radioactive spider bites and gamma ray incidents in some superhero universes, one could even incorporate a minor element of randomness into some template, e.g. if the player picks the Blaster template then the overall theme is set by the template, and the player gets to make some choices, but certain other choices are made for him by dictated dice rolls in the template, e.g. to determine the type of energy that he blasts with.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:36 AM   #16
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, given that anime and manga isn't a genre.
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #17
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
I can't, unless you can also imagine a "movies" line. In my collection alone, there's supers anime, old-west anime, space-opera anime, Action-style anime, DF-style anime, horror anime, soap-opera-style anime, and many, many more.

If you meant "over-the-top unarmed-combat stories," that's Martial Arts with all the cinematic options turned on - no need for an entire line devoted to it.
I mean a core book with the basic idea and supplements for specifc subgenres or styles.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #18
Ashtagon

Quote:
I mean a core book with the basic idea and supplements for specifc subgenres or styles.
Sure. Just tell me what Ranma, Chibi Maruko-chan, Naruto, Marmalade Boy, and Sailor Moon have in common, and we just might have a starting point. Because, frankly, I can't see a common theme, besides originating from Japan.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Sure. Just tell me what Ranma, Chibi Maruko-chan, Naruto, Marmalade Boy, and Sailor Moon have in common, and we just might have a starting point. Because, frankly, I can't see a common theme, besides originating from Japan.
Only two things:
1. Visual style.
2. Being covered by the "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" RPG system.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #20
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Only two things:
1. Visual style.
2. Being covered by the "Big Eyes, Small Mouth" RPG system.
Well, I can say fairly confidently that under the BESM RPG, every named character from Marmalade Boy would be indistinguishable except for superficial details (from a game statistics pov) such as age and gender.

Tags
action, dungeon fantasy, monster hunters