Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2014, 01:16 PM   #61
aesir23

Default Re: [DF] Stating up Centaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
What would a minotaur/bull centaur look like? that could be odd
I remember an illustration of the Minotaur in which his torso grows out of the neck of a bull and he has a more human head with horns.

The image stuck with me as one of my favorite depictions, but I can't find it on the internet anywhere.

I think it's from a book of mythology, maybe from around the turn of the century.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #62
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Mermen are more akin to classic beastmen, without the humanoid part. So I would say no, not the same experiments as created the centaur, more likely from the same lab that did catmen and snake people.
There were Sea Centaurs in classical art with fish-like lower bodies that had a pair of horses forelegs. What about a more normal seahorse centaur?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #63
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
There were Sea Centaurs in classical art with fish-like lower bodies that had a pair of horses forelegs. What about a more normal seahorse centaur?
Now that would be interesting to try and stat. They have 2 legs, sure, but they also slither. Crippling just one leg isnt going to stop them from moving around. Extra Legs (Slithers)... hrm...

Will have to mull that one over.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:39 PM   #64
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Now that would be interesting to try and stat. They have 2 legs, sure, but they also slither. Crippling just one leg isnt going to stop them from moving around. Extra Legs (Slithers)... hrm...

Will have to mull that one over.
The Sea Centaurs (ichthyocentaurs) don't really seem to be worth taking seriously, IMO. I always thought the two horse legs looked silly and useless, although I guess the artists didn't :\
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #65
Flyndaran
Untagged

No mythical animals should be taken seriously. Making them "work" is still fun.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #66
chandley

Well, and apparently they form the constellation Pisces... so thats something

I think Id just go with:

Sea Centaur [+25]:
Add Amphibious [10]; Doesnt Breath (Gills -50%) [10]; Pressure Support 1 [5]; and Feature: Only 2 actual legs, Fish abdomen/tail acts as third leg on land. Change Enhanced Move (Ground) to Enhanced Move (Water); Change Extra Legs to Extra Legs (3 legs); Change Ground Move +1 to Water Move +1.

Armor is basically the same, but the Crupper simply has no legs to protect, the part that would have protected the legs now extending over the longer rear torso and tail.

You could, in theory, combine all three, for a Sea Unipegataur at 150 points. You'd best be quick in real life though, I think your GM might come at you with a fork if you did. Would be hilarious to play though. Kind of an AFV of the DF world (the Sea pegataur being the ATV version).
Old 06-05-2014, 03:33 PM   #67
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
Wierd stuff that floats through Ben's brain, sharing now.
It would be kind of cool to see a Gnome/Goat centaur
or an opera diva/hippo centaur
What would a minotaur/bull centaur look like? that could be odd
Are mermen fish centaurs? if so, were they created in the same set of experiments?
Actually, I would consider classical merfolk to be akin to aquatic centaurs... those with even more bizarre forms are "add ons" to the base form, similar to ideas of "unicentaurs" or "pegacentaurs". So if they aren't natural in a setting, if the aren't products of the same experiment, they probably were created by similar experimentation.

Gratned, I prefer having only a few "core" races and having other races be descended from them, but that's me.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:15 PM   #68
tantric
Banned

I did lots of satyrs in my world...

And just for the halibut, my centaur creation myth

Quote:
The Starweb Nations are a multirace civilization inhabiting the sweeping grasslands of the Thunderfields. There are eleven major nations, seven of which are purely nomadic, and several smaller tribes. The People of the Stars are Centaurs, Coyotes, Gray Foxes, Badgers, Ringtails, Bobcats, Blackfooted Ferrets, Spotted Skunks and White-Necked Ravens. Unlike the Shifters found in other parts of Worldstree, the Starweb Shifters were cannot shapeshift - the stay in hybrid form throughout their lives.

The People of the Stars share a common creation myth. In the distant past a powerful and cruel race held dominion over all the Thunderfields and beyond, and kept the Shifters as slaves and vassals. The Forebearers were part of a triune Equine Race along with the Pegasi and Unicorns. They had the bodies of horses with enormously strong humanoid arms extending from their shoulders, along with the teeth and talons of carnivores. The Forebearers were full Immortals with powerful magic, which they used to build cities of stone.

Over time the practice of keeping slaves blackened their hearts, and the other Herd Spirits left them. The Forebearers tried to trap the other Equines and make them slaves, or raise them as slaves when their females gave birth to Pegasi or Unicorns. But the other two races need freedom to live even if they did not need food and thus withered and died in captivity. Soon the Unicorns and Pegasi stopped coming to the mating rituals in the Thunderfields. Instead, the Pegasi went directly to the forests to seek out unicorn mates. The Forebears needed the other two races to reproduce, but the other Equine Races did not need the Forebearers.

When the Forebearers realized their self-made doom, their society went into a kind of auto-cannibalistic psychosis. They built weapons that could destroy whole cities and set to using them with a will. The Shifter slaves knew the end was near - they no longer believed they could escape, for soon all the plains would burn and die. They prayed to their culture-hero, Grandmother Spider, to save them from the madness of their masters. She did, but at a price.

In the Time Before, Eaglemoon uplifted the Shifters from mere animals, giving them souls that would be born again and again and the ability to assume a mannish form to unite them. The Forebearers were Faeries, spirt with unaging bodies that died forever together with their flesh. Grandmother Spider proposed to take a bit of the Souls of the Shifters and give to the Forebears, and heal their madness, and take a bit of their Spirits and give back to the Shifters, making them one people. In this way both would survive as would the Thunderfields, but it would be a hard choice, to mingle with their hideous masters....

Grandmother Spider wove her net of stars that night, and caught the souls of all the Male shifters who perished in the burning cities. Come dawn she carried the souls bits and placed them in the barren wombs of the Forebearers. Stole the useless seed of the male Forebearers and gave it to the matrons of the Shifters.

The first generation of Centaurs, beings with both Spirits and Souls, were born, and they swore themselves into the servitude of the Shifters. The Shifters, who knew the horror of slavery, permitted this only long enough to tear down the great cities of the Forebearers, and banish all traces of their civilization.

On the Night of Falling Stars Brother Raven became entranced with on the soul-gems in Grandmother Spider's web and tried to steal it. He succeeded, but also became trapped in the web. Now all the Ravens of the Thunderfields bear the white star on their throats and have become part of the cycle of life, death and rebirth.

Outsiders call the civilization that arose from this creation "Starweb" after a ritual common to all the various cultures. The Peoples of the Starweb call themselves 'Iyakhizu' - 'joined'. Raven, biped, centaur - they are one people building a new way of life on the ashes of the old.
I have a fairly well developed culture for the Iyakhizu (which is a Lakota word), PM me if you want the whole shebang.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeon fantasy templates