Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #11
Anthony

Default Re: [DF] Stating up Centaurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Right, trying to see which of the two house rules to use. -40% on the non-arm ST or a disadvantage version of Arm ST.
The disadvantage version of arm ST is really broken if you apply it to a non-standard number of limbs. For example, One Arm is [-20], while Arm ST -10 (one arm) would be [-30]. For someone with 2 arms, +10 ST, -10 arm ST costs [50]. For someone with 3 arms, it costs [20] (plus the cost of the arm, of course).
Old 05-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Everyone just pretends that the weak arms disadvantage doesn't exist. Kind of like pretending resistant immunity to radiation does.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
pst

Wouldn't being a Centaur meaning big problems squeezing in in most dungeon crawls.
No fun just waiting on the outside!
pst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:53 AM   #14
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pst View Post
Wouldn't being a Centaur meaning big problems squeezing in in most dungeon crawls.
Yes it would. Which is probably why it wasn't included in DF publications (and because the hybrididty makes it tricky to stat).

However, if the DF game is primarily in large, low-incline caverns or above ground, it might be ok.

My current DF campaign takes place in a swamp, so hooves are generally a bad idea.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:57 AM   #15
Balor Patch

Quote:
It's SM+1, the same as the ogre and all (non-gnome!) barbarians. Maybe the centaur should have a "Can't crawl, not so hot at kneeling" posture limit of some sort?
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:55 AM   #16
chandley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The disadvantage version of arm ST is really broken if you apply it to a non-standard number of limbs. For example, One Arm is [-20], while Arm ST -10 (one arm) would be [-30]. For someone with 2 arms, +10 ST, -10 arm ST costs [50]. For someone with 3 arms, it costs [20] (plus the cost of the arm, of course).
Ah, well argued. That is a big point in favor of the -40% houserule instead.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:57 AM   #17
chandley

Quote:
As Balor mentioned, they are SM +1, like Barbarians or Ogres. Generally speaking, it behooves the SM +1 guys to pick up the Escape skill, to be able to squeeze through smaller areas. Just one of the many drawbacks you dont get points for for being SM +1.

For the "cant crawl, not great at kneeling", I know horses dont like it, but I suspect a Centaur could make it work. I wouldnt stop a GM from imposing a limit or requiring a DX, or HT, or Escape skill roll to do it, but I probably wont bake it into my template. It IS for DF after all.

Last edited by chandley; 05-28-2014 at 08:07 AM.
chandley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
As Balor mentioned, they are SM +1, like Barbarians or Ogres. Generally speaking, it behooves the SM +1 guys to pick up the Escape skill, to be able to squeeze through smaller areas. Just one of the many drawbacks you dont get points for for being SM +1.
That's not a drawback of being big. It's a difference in character to environment interaction.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:26 PM   #19
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
They are just SM +1, but it's a large SM +1, and they also have that inconvenient shape that can make it tricky to navigate paths suited for humanoids.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #20
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
They are just SM +1, but it's a large SM +1, and they also have that inconvenient shape that can make it tricky to navigate paths suited for humanoids.
What species specific paths are common in DF?
They could also easily step over gaps other SM+1 couldn't because of the widely separated leg pairs.

Inconvenient forms really matter the higher the TL and more species specific societies.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, dungeon fantasy templates