Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #141
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Gaming Ballistic - GURPS Content Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Also some discussion on why lots of discussion on Bite ST did not qualify for errata.
Observation about Bite ST:

To up Bite Grip ST from an effective 5 to an effective 10, it takes 10 levels of Lifting ST (Bite -70%), or [9]. Extra Mouths cost [5/level]. Three Extra Mouths have a base cost of [15], and likewise double effective Bite Grip ST (regardless of what level ST the character has). I wonder what the limitation is for 'only to grapple' or the like on Extra Mouths.

As a bonus, four mouths worrying means four times as much damage (but DR applied separately against each application of damage).
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #142
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Observation about Bite ST:

To up Bite Grip ST from an effective 5 to an effective 10, it takes 10 levels of Lifting ST (Bite -70%), or [9]. Extra Mouths cost [5/level]. Three Extra Mouths have a base cost of [15], and likewise double effective Bite Grip ST (regardless of what level ST the character has). I wonder what the limitation is for 'only to grapple' or the like on Extra Mouths.

As a bonus, four mouths worrying means four times as much damage (but DR applied separately against each application of damage).
You get a similar effect with Extra Arms.
I am cool with that though and do not consider it a bug, more a feature.
As Douglas said, changing point costs was not the goal of the supplement and likely would have caused more of an outcry. Of course it probably wouldnt have been allowed either.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #143
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

I note today that Technical Grappling has now sold 300 copies since it went live on Sept 5 or thereabouts.

Thanks to all who have purchased it, and I hope you are getting good use out of the book!
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #144
Refplace

Quote:
I note today that Technical Grappling has now sold 300 copies since it went live on Sept 5 or thereabouts.

Thanks to all who have purchased it, and I hope you are getting good use out of the book!
Congratulations!
Sorry I did not purchase a copy myself and hope you forgive me ;)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM   #145
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Congratulations!
Sorry I did not purchase a copy myself and hope you forgive me ;)
I'll let you slide this time.
Old 11-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #146
DouglasCole

Some musing on the differences between weapons and skills in GURPS rules for fencing skills/weapons and not-fencing skills/weapons
Old 11-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #147
Humabout

Interesting musings. Based on what you have there, what, exactly, is the reason for having separate "fencing" and "non-fencing" skills? How do you think it would affect things if they were treated similarly to combat art/sport skills and regular combat skills? Frex, Knife, Shortsword, Broadsword, and Two-Handed Sword each have their own "fencing" counterpart that defaults at some penalty (this is already almost the case). Also, should this be extended to other non-sword weapons? Does Fencing Axe/Mace or Fencing Spear make sense?

I kind of like it when things line up nicely into categories that show some symmetry, even if such things didn't develop in the real world. Your article has me thinking about such things with respect to melee weapon skills.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #148
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Interesting musings. Based on what you have there, what, exactly, is the reason for having separate "fencing" and "non-fencing" skills? How do you think it would affect things if they were treated similarly to combat art/sport skills and regular combat skills? Frex, Knife, Shortsword, Broadsword, and Two-Handed Sword each have their own "fencing" counterpart that defaults at some penalty (this is already almost the case). Also, should this be extended to other non-sword weapons? Does Fencing Axe/Mace or Fencing Spear make sense?
i suspect that the fencing/non-fencing skills are a bit of legacy. I think that people can (and have) been trained as fencers first, and then need to alter to be non-feners, as well as vice versa. So two skills make some degree of sense. Buying off the delta as a technique or wildcard technique (at 3x cost) might make sense. At the upper bound, the -4 default between Smallsword and Shortsword is 16 points, so you don't want it to be higher than that.

Spear fencing vs aggressive spear handling? Sure, makes sense.

Maybe even making it entirely generic, always giving +3 to retreat on a parry, but always giving a penalty based on encumbrance (or half encumbrance, so it's never worse than +1) for all weapons might be looked at.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #149
Humabout

Quote:
Maybe even making it entirely generic, always giving +3 to retreat on a parry, but always giving a penalty based on encumbrance (or half encumbrance, so it's never worse than +1) for all weapons might be looked at.
Interesting. Doing this would certainly provide more differentiation between heavily armored and lightly armored combatants, for sure. Of course, treading this path begs another look at Brawling, Boxing, and Karate (and their grappling counterparts). Still, for weapon skills, I find the overall shift away from Fencing vs. Non-Fencing interesting.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #150
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Interesting. Doing this would certainly provide more differentiation between heavily armored and lightly armored combatants, for sure. Of course, treading this path begs another look at Brawling, Boxing, and Karate (and their grappling counterparts). Still, for weapon skills, I find the overall shift away from Fencing vs. Non-Fencing interesting.
Have you read Ken Clary's alternate grappling rules from Pyramid #3/34? He posits one core grappling skill, with the other things being techniques from it.

It's like the suggestions that go around periodically (and I contributed to some of them) breaking down unarmed skills into "Punch," "Kick," "Grapple," and "Joint Manipulation." (I've also seen Grapple and Lock/Throw and a few other combinations.)

With that, you could then have "mobile" and "aggressive" versions of each, rather than bake them in to the skills themselves.

it's a pretty fair amount of tweaking, but it's fully doable.

Tags
blog, blogs, committed aim, dungeon grappling, modern firepower, pass limb