Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-02-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
b-dog

Default [DF] Psionics and Tharizdun

Tharizdun is some sort of extradimensional being composed of the essence evil. He is incomprehensible to all and those who perceive him become mad. He would be considered to be an Elder God because he existed before the creation of reality and the gods. He has been shunted out of the multiverse into dimensions far beyond the boundary of reality. Thus he has no power for Sanctity in the multiverse. There can be no spiritual connection to Tharizdun due to his being shunted away. So how does he still get worshippers? My idea is through psionic connection through the abstract astral plane. In this plane the concept of evil which is abstract turn partially concrete and thus there would be be limited interaction with Tharizdun. Evil men and women who desire to serve the force of evil may be able to encounter Tharizdun in their dreams as mortals have a small amount of psionic perception due to their being sentient. Most would become terrified and never seek to meet with Tharizdun again but a few would and are usually driven insane in the process. Tharizdun can change the brains of his cultists thus that the gain psionic abilities and can use them to enter the abstract astral plane and thus can communicate the abstraction of what is evil which allows Tharizdun to grant wishes to servants. The gods have little power over psionics andthis is how Tharizdun has a loophole to gain entry into the multiverse. The cultists of Tharizdun are usually very evil men who were wizards, necromancers, evil clerics and demonologists before their servitude of Tharizdun thus forgotten have an array of magic in addition to psionic power. What do you think about this idea? Thanks.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
Centisteed

Default Re: [DF] Psionics and Tharizdun

Sounds like The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, an AD&D Greyhawk module listed as WG-4 (but unofficially I think it was part of the S-Series). :)
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
b-dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centisteed View Post
Sounds like The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun, an AD&D Greyhawk module listed as WG-4 (but unofficially I think it was part of the S-Series). :)
Yes, that was my favorite module. I am trying to capture the weirdness of Tharizdun so that he can be used in GURPS DF. I feel Tharizdun needs to be alien and very strange. He should not be like a demon lord or evil god that worshippers can communicate with and that grants clerical powers, I want worshippers to be crazy fools who have no idea what they are doing. Plus psionics fits the wierd powers better that clerical magic.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #4
Centisteed

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Yes, that was my favorite module. I am trying to capture the weirdness of Tharizdun so that he can be used in GURPS DF. I feel Tharizdun needs to be alien and very strange. He should not be like a demon lord or evil god that worshippers can communicate with and that grants clerical powers, I want worshippers to be crazy fools who have no idea what they are doing. Plus psionics fits the wierd powers better that clerical magic.
Well the old Deities & Demigods book showed that all or most of the gods & heroes also had Psionics in addition to clerical powers and/or mage powers.
Centisteed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #5
tantric
Banned

We're actually kind of on the same page here. Those worshipers I would call wachawi - witches. Unnatural mutants driven to destroy life and happiness. If it helps you any, their organization is called Njama. They meet in secret places in the dreamworld and share their depravities.
tantric is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, psionics