Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Pyramid

Old 08-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
benz72

Default Ideas to get out before I forget

1) Could there be, should there be a sticky thread o nthis board with a running list of issue titles (possibly with sub-bulletized article lists) to make it simple to find that article or topic one is searching for? Someone did it for the old style one and it may be easier to keep a running log than to 'go back and do it all' after issue 200 when nobody can find anything anymore.

2) Is this the appropriate place to suggest issue themes? if so...

a) GURPS computer aids... an issue dedicated to the game tools used to make play easier, more realistic, etc. Character generators, ballistic calculators, combat sequencers, VTT ideas, phone apps, die rollers and all that jazz (possibly with links to online content).

b) Professions... the rules, the tools, the cool stuff they do (and the not so fun stuff they have to put up with). Cops, Craftsmen, Medical personnel, Resuorce extractors (miners, lumberjacks, drillers), Financial guys, Crooks, Cooks/Servants, Hunters, Gamblers... There are lots of details that can be used (even for NPC depth) that can make a world more 'real'.

c) After vehicles comes out... vehicle of the month? If the theme of the issue has any relation to vehicles, would it be a bad idea to have a 1-page writeup of a car/boat/plane/balloon/spaceship that adds utility to the setting?

d) Walkthroughs of skill use... Perhaps Pyramid is not the ideal venue, but I've gotten a lot of use out of things like Melee academy and Kromm quotes regarding the ways in which a skill (or combination of skills) is used. e.g. It would be very interesting to see a RAW sequence of the stealth/camoflage/observation/per/weapon skill/dodge/etc. rolls (with explanation of consequences for future action) in an ambush, or the diagnosis/physician/poisons/surgury/research/HT/etc. rolls to treat someone who has been wounded/poisoned/addicted/starved/etc.

e) perhaps combined with b above, loadouts for various jobs at various TLs
Old 08-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: Ideas to get out before I forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
c) After vehicles comes out... vehicle of the month? If the theme of the issue has any relation to vehicles, would it be a bad idea to have a 1-page writeup of a car/boat/plane/balloon/spaceship that adds utility to the setting?
Why wait? Most vehicle statistics are easily obtained from real-world performance statistics, and there are hundreds of real-world vehicles that haven't been written up yet.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #3
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Why wait? Most vehicle statistics are easily obtained from real-world performance statistics, and there are hundreds of real-world vehicles that haven't been written up yet.
Yes, very, very true. I have to imagine that writeups of 0.5 pages would fit in a lot of places and themes. That's about 425 words per vehicle.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:41 PM   #4
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
d) Walkthroughs of skill use... Perhaps Pyramid is not the ideal venue, but I've gotten a lot of use out of things like Melee academy
Thanks for this, by the way. :-)
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Kalzazz

A list of issue titles and article lists would be great, I periodically find myself trying to remember 'okay, where was the potion stuff? Where was the defensive imbuements?' etc etc

What might be neat there is a locked sticky that archived all of the Announcement posts by Kromm (which tend to be very amusing and summarize nicely whats in a given issue)
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
RogerBW

Quote:
1) Could there be, should there be a sticky thread o nthis board with a running list of issue titles (possibly with sub-bulletized article lists) to make it simple to find that article or topic one is searching for?
Good thought, and done. If some admin feels like stickying it, so much the better.

Top ten (well, eleven) credited names for Pyramid vol. 3 so far:

71 Steven Marsh
42 J. Edward Tremlett
34 David L. Pulver
25 Matt Riggsby
17 Andy Vetromile
14 Sean Punch
13 Christopher R. Rice
11 Matthew Pook
10 Michele Armellini
=9 Stephen Dedman
=9 Ken Spencer
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Thanks for this, by the way. :-)
Thanks for writing them, considering the commentary, editing them, hosting them, updating them when new rules come out, etc. I have no idea how much time and effort that all consumes, but it is probably a heck of a lot more than I would be willing to commit. If you ever feel the posts are underappreciated just ask me and I'll sing praises until my voice cracks... or my attention span expires...OOOHHH! Squirrel!

If I were to ask for anything on that score it would be an index of topics/links, since I think the web-page sidebar stuff tends to try organizing by recency or author instead of topic.

Last edited by benz72; 08-29-2013 at 12:12 PM.
benz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
The initial thoughts on waiting were to:
a) Ensure builds were compliant with about to be published RAW
b) Promote the new product with a useful feature

As I am neither a sanctioned enforcer of GURPS canon nor a SJG marketer I have no idea if these are desirable or possible, but that was what was in my brain when I wrote it.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #9
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Good thought, and done. If some admin feels like stickying it, so much the better.
Thanks for doing that. Looks great.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #10
RogerBW

I fear I must have been editing it while it was being moved to GURPS Resources. The version with 12 issues per post (which is still here, at the moment) is the canonical one. I've stopped messing with it for now and will leave things to the admins.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote