Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Which sorts of characters are you willing / unwilling to play and why?

Greetings, all!

As a more generic extension of this little exchange, I'm raising a topic of the character types people find themselves willing to play (or to accept in their party as GMs, or as co-players).

For me, which type of entity the character is, is a big deal. I find ghosts and bioroids most desirable for play (and currently playing a bioroid who eventually got uploaded): bioroids are an easy way to get the exoticism of a very precise sort (by picking the right model), while ghosts just get to swap bodies like clothes if they really want to; also, both are pretty easily playable mentally/psychologically speaking. The next most-interesting type are Eidolons. Generally similar psychological playability, but also a moderate access to AI goodies, at the cost of being more stigmatized.

SAIs and LAIs are something I'd probably do if there was a good reason and a good point total, but in general it's a role which I'm afraid I wouldn't play adequately at all. EIs I see pretty much in the same way. Except that I'm slightly unnerved by a HAL-9000-inspired EI that might end up becoming our ally in the campaign.

Uplifts . . . I dunno. I guess an astropus or something would be fun, somewhat, but the cost of extra hands (and other stuff) seems like a waste when you can just have 4 small shells with NAIs do manual labour.

Born humans (non-uploaded) are actually the least desirable type for me. They're just totally uncool in the context of THS, and the major reason to play a human seems to be 'save points to be a multimillionaire'. Which is precisely what one of the concepts of another player looked like, but was rejected by the GM. (Whether it was concept-first or points-first I have no idea, but the GM clearly didn't want a multimillionaire in this campaign. Fair enough.)

------------------------------------------------------

Other big character playability divisors are:

Religion. I don't think I'm able to convincingly play a monotheistic character, particularly in a progressive-future setting. In the reactionary WH40K it was so-so... in THS 2100, not buying it. OTOH, I might take a second go at an attempt to portray a Shintouist, but it's unlikely.

PSR stances. When I first read about THS, I couldn't envision myself playing anything without a strong abolitionist stance (also, I was fuming and boiling and burning about the EU bioshell policy). But then I kinda pushed myself to deliberately make a character with a different stance, and clearly not a villainous one (though he does occasionally make evil overlord list jokes). The experience is extremely weird and interesting. (I suspect my impressions might be similar to those of Trooper6 while playing Gianni.)

------------------------------------------------------

What about you?
Thanks in advance!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
ClayDowling

Default Re: Which sorts of characters are you willing / unwilling to play and why?

I actually think playing a devout monotheist trying to navigate this brave new worlds (from the player's eyes) looks potentially interesting. i don't know that it would actually be that hard though: Islam and Christianity both thrived in the 20th century, itself an unprecidented period of change in technology and society. In spite of the extremists who make headlines for their rejection of those changes, most of the monotheists I know (and I count myself among them) don't find faith and a changing society at such odds. The core doctrines as put forth by the respective prophets are sufficient to provide guidance in most situations.

The bigger problem I find myself encountering with THS societies is things like the widespread adoption of the notion that eating dead animals is barbaric or horrific. I can see intellectually how such an attitude could develop, but having eaten dead animals from a very early age, and frequently killed my own dinner, my brain has trouble holding onto the concept. My brain will always see certain animals, especially fish, rabbits and squirrels, as prey.

Things that challenge the three F's, Food, Fighting and Reproduction, are always going to be difficult. And transhumanism has always challenged those to some extent. Those challenges are part of why makes it speculative fiction though.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: Which sorts of characters are you willing / unwilling to play and why?

The characters whom I've played have been mildly upgraded humans, and not millionaires. My basic reason for that has been to try to get into the setting, which has a lot of weirdness, without the additional challenge of a character whose mind is extremely different from my own. I understand the world well enough now that I'd try a more alien character, if I got another chance to play THS.

EDIT: I'd be unwilling to play anything with IQ below about 12. THS is so focused on IQ-driven skills and intellectual challenges that I'd feel I was missing the fun with less IQ than that.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=108860

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
Giant spiders are squeamish about kinky mammal sex.
Rape, torture, sexual abuse and probable eventual murder of a sapient being made only to suffer are not "kinky sex". If you think so you are probably a dangerous sociopath.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 05-01-2013 at 05:37 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 PM   #5
Keiko
Banned

Default Re: Notes on Using GURPS Bio-Tech (4e) in TS (part 1: TL Overview)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Rape, torture, sexual abuse and probably murder of a sapient being made only to suffer are not "kinky sex". If you think so you are probably a dangerous sociopath.

I think he was joking.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
I think he was joking.
It wasn't funny.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It wasn't funny.
And I thought it was amusing understatement. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
'Kinky' is the understatement of the year, particularly when taken together with the fact that the possibility of playing the other one of the two mentioned templates is carefully not denied.

Not, it's about repulsion from a model whose one and only purpose is to be miserable, even in craved things. And the Regrowth. But this is rapidly exiting the bio-tech topic, unlike the issue of having hidden UBs built into template costs.
I can certainly understand that.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #9
Keiko
Banned

I can't answer the question definitely as I haven't played in THS but based on my PC history I don't think I could play anything too far from human, not as a long term PC. I like immersion and the more alien something is the harder that is for me. I don't think I would like to play someone aggressively or extremely racist. It just makes me uncomfortable.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

There is still quite a bit of post birth modifying that can be done to baseline humans.
Not to mention all the skills a dedicated but otherwise normal human could acquire over a century of good health.

Tags
roleplaying