Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Super DR

This has probably already been proposed a few times, but I have not been able to find it, so I will go ahead and propose it again. In Powers (p. 160), you can use Extra Effort to boost DR as long as it has Force Field, so it would seem natural to allow Super DR, DR with Super-Effort, to balance out Super ST and to allow DR to be cost competitive with Damage Reduction (Injury Tolerance). I think that Super DR should follow these rules:

1. It would be a +300% modifier, just like Super-Effort for Lifting ST and Striking ST, which would require the Force Field (+20%) and Reflexive (+40%) modifiers as prerequisites.

2. It would require the 1 FP to activate the boosted DR for one minute and would allow characters to spend 1 FP to reflexively activate it for a minute to resist surprise attacks.

3. It could be combined with Ablative, Absorption, Can't Wear Armor, Directional, Flexible, Hardened, Limited, Malediction-Proof, Partial, Reflection, and Semi-Ablative, though it could not be combined with Tough Skin.

4. It would always use Super DR instead of Base DR for Ablative and Semi-Ablative and Base DR instead of Super DR for Absorption and Reflection (for example, a character with Super DR 8 would treat their DR as 50 for Ablative and Semi-Ablative purposes but as 8 for Absorption and Reflection purposes).

5. It explicitly could not be combined with Reduced FP Cost unless Cosmic (+50%).

6. Super DR would be capped at Level 8 for I-scale, level 14 for D-scale, level 20 for C-Scale, and level 26 for M-scale.

For example, a superhuman could have DR 8 (Force Field, +20%; Reflexive, +40%; Super-Effort, +300%) [184]. Under normal circumstances, they are treated as if they had DR 8, but they are capable of boosting their DR to 50 for one minute by paying 1 FP. They could also reflexively spend 1 FP to activate Super DR for a minute when targeted by surprise attacks.

While there are not a lot of savings for I-scale supers, the savings for D-scale or higher supers would be pretty significant. When combined with Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction), you could represent the extremely tough characters in comic books without having characters that break the bank. For example, Super DR 26 would cost an average of 598 CP, which would be comparable to Injury Tolerance (Damage Reduction /10,000) [600] (and a character with both would be quite impervious to damage).

What do you think? Would you use Super DR? What modifications would you suggest to make it more balanced?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote