Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #1
demonsbane

Default GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

Rejoice, my brothers! Our prayers have been answered with the release of GURPS Powers: Divine Favor!

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Mailanka

Default Re: GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

I really liked this one, and I'm considering using it to replace clerical magic in Dungeon Fantasy. My only complaints so far is that the book focuses entirely on goody-two-shoes gods, but that's barely a quibble as the book gives me all the tools I need to make my own sets of divine powers. A slightly larger quibble is that I can't find the variation of Blessed in there that boosts your stats. I was kinda hoping to see what he did with that, or if that even needs to be covered by these (but he had other forms of Blessed, like the font, in the book).
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
I really liked this one, and I'm considering using it to replace clerical magic in Dungeon Fantasy.
Mrff rff mmmrfl? *spits out the PDF briefly*

Yeah, I'm officially making it an option for players in my game - replace PI, spells, and the powers from DF with Divine Favor instead. Or mix both, but that's going to take a stinkton of points, and neither system gives bonuses to the other so I don't recommend it for starting characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
My only complaints so far is that the book focuses entirely on goody-two-shoes gods, but that's barely a quibble as the book gives me all the tools I need to make my own sets of divine powers. A slightly larger quibble is that I can't find the variation of Blessed in there that boosts your stats. I was kinda hoping to see what he did with that, or if that even needs to be covered by these (but he had other forms of Blessed, like the font, in the book).
As a +5 to Strength and Climbing (plus one free reroll) only until you climb back up, and complete restoration of FP, was the example for a Neutral reaction when begging for generic help while hanging off a cliff over a Pit of Doom, it seems that it would be a pretty modest miracle.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
dataweaver

One option that I'm considering for this: because they were originally adapted from the Improvement Through Study rules, I figure that it shouldn't be hard to adapt the Meditative Magic rules from GURPS Fantasy (pp.161-162) for use as the means for a paragon to acquire Learned Prayers: the easiest way would be to say that the "energy cost" to acquire a Learned Prayer via the Meditative Magic rules is 25 times the listed point cost. Simple, straightforward, and very much in keeping with the intended feel of Divine Favor.
dataweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Yeah, I'm officially making it an option for players in my game - replace PI, spells, and the powers from DF with Divine Favor instead. Or mix both, but that's going to take a stinkton of points, and neither system gives bonuses to the other so I don't recommend it for starting characters.
Learned prayers seem like they might be a bit too powerful for the point costs, given you can do them as often as you want at no cost.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
munin

Hmm. For learned prayers such as Confidence (p. 8) which have a "recharge" time, that recharge time seems only to apply to that learned prayer and not to the entire set of alternative abilities. Is that right?
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Powers: Divine Favor

I stand among men
Speaker and servant of gods
Divine spark in hand
— Some hack
New on e23 this week is GURPS Powers: Divine Favor, by the suitably named Rev. Pee Kitty. Remember how GURPS Psionic Powers took all the complicated lessons of GURPS Powers and used them to build ready-made power frameworks for psionics? This supplement does the same for holy abilities – the sort that part seas and smite the undead. It comes with all the trimmings, including rules for praying for spontaneous miracles, numerous fully worked set-piece abilities, several new variations on the Blessed advantage, thoughts on tying divine powers to priestly rank and clerical magic, and advice on such campaign-planning issues as "one god vs. many" and "good vs. evil." Whether your goal is to empower flashy Dungeon Fantasy clerics or to give a cult priest sinister gifts in a modern-day horror campaign, Divine Favor is like a gift from the gods.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
B9anders

Kromm's been ninja'd!
B9anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:29 PM   #9
Stone Dog

He is too busy bringing the awesome to worry about piddling details like who posted what. ;)
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 12:44 PM   #10
demonsbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by B9anders View Post
Kromm's been ninja'd!
Yep. Maybe both threads can be merged?

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+
demonsbane is offline   Reply With Quote