Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #31
offsides

Default Re: Indiegogo: Ogre Miniatures Set 3 - Doppelsoldner and Ogre Mark VI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
My question is, does SJG keep our money even if the campaign, G-d forbid, fails to fund, or do they refund us directly, or how does that work?
From IGG Backer FAQ, it appears that they automatically refund everyone if the fixed goal isn't met, otherwise they immediately hand the funds to the project creator and wash their hands of the whole thing. If I didn't have rock solid faith in SJG, I'd probably not be willing to back on IGG vs KS.

On a related note (more IGG than SJG), I think my biggest lack of warm fuzzies about how IGG does things vs KS is that rather than pledging support to a project which you can increase or decrease as needed/desired before it's over and it either is successful or not (KS), IGG is basically "here's a project, donate money to it, and if it doesn't reach its goal you can have it back." I know there aren't stretch goals on this one so that's less of an issue, but IGG considers each pledge distinct, and there's no "upping your pledge for a higher reward" - you have to cancel the old one (assuming you can) and then pledge the new one, waiting for a refund while you've already spent the new $. And I think that actually detracts from the whole community support nature of these projects - instead of encouraging people to increase their support level if they see something they like or just find extra room in their budgets, every pledge is fixed, and cannot be altered without going through the process of removing your former pledge.

That's just my personal feeling, and is part of why I'm probably going to wait until near the end to support so that I can be 100% certain that I'm getting exactly what I want, no more and no less. After all, if I decide I want to up from 2 sets to 3, I can't do that by just adding more $, I have to cancel and re-buy. And that's a lot more hassle than I want to deal with right now.
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 07-15-2019, 02:21 PM   #32
HeatDeath

That all makes perfect sense. I can see how you end up lacking the community-race-to-the-finish dynamic a good KS campaign gets. But that's no big deal with a bare-bones-no-stretch-goals campaign like this.

I'm in for $55 for 3 MkVIs and 3 Dopps, and I feel good about that. I actually kind of prefer being billed immediately vs. 3 weeks from now. Now to just watch and hope the bar fills all the way in in time.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #33
HeatDeath

It occurs to me that another reason for them to have gone with a very simple no-stretch-goals campaign on a platform more optimized for that is that it will probably end up eating far less of Phil's bandwidth. He does have a company to run, after all.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #34
totalfailure

It’s likely as simple as indiegogo lets them keep more of the $$$s than the cut Kickstarter takes, but I think Phil should explain it more. It’s clear the switch has made some potential backers uncomfortable already. I don’t think it’s an unreasonable concern or question to ask, and ‘We did it’ is not much of an explanation.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:45 PM   #35
offsides

I'm not fundamentally opposed to IGG in any way, and if it's the best platform for SJG in this context that's as good a reason for them to use it as any. That said, given some of the limitations and rules involved with the platform, it's probably not what I would choose to work with if I were running a campaign, and I'm probably going to be less likely to back random projects that look neat on it vs. KS, but neither of those things are really that relevant for this particular project. The only question left is how many set's I'm buying :)
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
Old 07-15-2019, 02:52 PM   #36
adm

Indiegogo? It looks like my bank account is safe from rampaging Ogres.

I wish you all luck, but I'm out.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:00 PM   #37
Desert Scribe

Is there info on shipping costs anywhere on the IGG page? I couldn't find anything.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:05 PM   #38
philreed
I do stuff and things.

We touched on this subject a few weeks ago:

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/J...ts_June_Update

"One of the things we're learning as we expand our crowdfunding efforts is that our ability to create and track projects exceeds the limitations and restrictions of the tools we've been using. For that reason, we're exploring other crowdfunding and direct-to-you options for funding some of the projects that we have in the works."

If anyone has project questions, we'll answer as best we can. Please keep in mind that we are a small team, with limited resources and time, and we're doing the best we can to communicate.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:10 PM   #39
archangel

I agree with everything offsides said. I was also hoping for lots of colors. Maybe they'll see the light of day down the line.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:11 PM   #40
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Is there info on shipping costs anywhere on the IGG page? I couldn't find anything.
It shows up during the start of payment phase. A trio of Ogres was $10 shipping in the US.