Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
Cheomesh

Default Re: [DF] Magic as powers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Here's some notes I have scrawled on a structure for magic as powers, as of yet not fully tested in game.

Cadia134: There's also this thread I posted: http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=88805

Which ultimately lead to this location:
http://islandsofwar.wikispaces.com/R...s.Alphabetical

That last one essentially transcends "Magic as Powers" in the basic sense and presents a customize system for it.

Just some leads.

M.
Cheomesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #12
mehrkat

Quote:
Here's some notes I have scrawled on a structure for magic as powers, as of yet not fully tested in game.
I really like that as I'm one of the doesn't like the magic system people. And for one of my games I might look at doing that system :)
Old 11-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #13
Gnome

I created my own magic-as-powers system for DF (complete with a new template, the Sorcerer), and I thought about trying to publish it in pyramid or something. Then the psi book came out and looked very similar in many ways, so I decided the mentalist is the powers guy and the wizard is the spells guy, which serves to differentiate them nicely.

As others have stated, a wizard with powers will have fewer abilities and less versatility but more raw power.
It's really easy to do: just treat magery as the talent for the power and limit innate attack levels to levels of magery. Make higher levels of magery prerequisite for certain more powerful or desirable abilities. In my version, I also allowed characters to buy enhancements based on magery level. For example, you could buy the Explosive enhancement for your innate attacks once you've reached magery 4.
Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
fifiste

Quote:
Interesting site. I wandered quickly to the http://ottgaming.grimoire.ca/Arcane_Magic_Powers#Fireball
Pardon my ignorance what is this enhancement Ranged Spell 1 (+340%)?
Where can I find it, and what does it do for the quite hefty 340%
There doesn't seem to be CP costs if I calculated correctly yhe fireball spell requires 21 CP (this 340% makes it really pricey)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
Interesting site. I wandered quickly to the http://ottgaming.grimoire.ca/Arcane_Magic_Powers#Fireball
Pardon my ignorance what is this enhancement Ranged Spell 1 (+340%)?
Where can I find it, and what does it do for the quite hefty 340%
There doesn't seem to be CP costs if I calculated correctly yhe fireball spell requires 21 CP (this 340% makes it really pricey)
There are a number of spell Meta-modifiers listed above, under the heading Magical Powers. Ranged 1 includes Cosmic: No Active Defense (+300%) and 1 level of Armor Divisor (Only vs 'General' DR, +40%).
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
fifiste

Ahh... slipped my attention. I stormed to the spell descriptions so greedily. This is indeed a powerful modifier.
And the price will be mitigated by all attack spells from one school being alternate attacks.
Still how do you combine alternate attacks with modular abilities. Just so I guess?
Seems a bit weird as you switch modular abilities anyway
Well would alternate abilities mean like for example = you got big enough CP pool to put two different attack spell in it at the same time (you have prepared them).
Still you can't use them at the same time even if you have two attacks etc.

Seems still a bit munchkinny :D not it has to be bad of course. (As the magic as powers without any tricks is so darn expensive)

Last edited by fifiste; 11-19-2012 at 01:08 PM.
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic, powers