Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Mulsiphix

Default Wildcard Magic, Please Help

Alright I'm trying to get my first game in where I am a player. I'm going to be playing on RPOL and need to submit my character sheet. My character concept has been approved and I accepted, but I'm confused about how to fill out my character sheet in regards to the Magic! skill.
  1. In GURPS Character Assistant it has an Advantage called "Wildcard Magery!". I've been looking through Magic and Basic but cannot find any evidence of this advantage. Can somebody explain what this is and how it works or where I can find it listed in an actual GURPS book or Pyramid magazine?
  2. Do wildcard skills like Magic! have levels or is it a one time purchase?
  3. Do I need to have a level in the Magery advantage in order for wildcard Magic! to work?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
NightHawk

Default Re: Wildcard Magic, Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
Alright I'm trying to get my first game in where I am a player. I'm going to be playing on RPOL and need to submit my character sheet. My character concept has been approved and I accepted, but I'm confused about how to fill out my character sheet in regards to the Magic! skill.
  1. In GURPS Character Assistant it has an Advantage called "Wildcard Magery!". I've been looking through Magic and Basic but cannot find any evidence of this advantage. Can somebody explain what this is and how it works or where I can find it listed in an actual GURPS book or Pyramid magazine?
  2. Do wildcard skills like Magic! have levels or is it a one time purchase?
  3. Do I need to have a level in the Magery advantage in order for wildcard Magic! to work?
If you go in the skill there should be an area that tells you what book and what page it is on in that book.

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
NightHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
NightHawk

Description: (page B66) For standard magic use Magery, for Ritual Magic use Ritual Magery, for Wildcard! magic use

This is right from the advantage in GCA!!

Rules are like guidlines and are viewed differently depending on which side you are standing on!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
Mulsiphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
This is right from the advantage in GCA!!
I know that Magery is on B66 and there is no mention of Wildcard Magery! on that page. There is no mention of Magery at all when it comes to Wildcard Magic! (Magic 202). Without GCA mentioning Wildcard Magery I would never had any idea it even existed, specifically because it does not appear in any GURPS books. I don't understand what Wildcard Magery! is. I was hoping somebody could clue me in.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
NightHawk

Thaumatology page 75 has some information on Wildcard magic also.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:53 PM   #6
NightHawk

Basic Set p.175 has information on Optional Rule: Wildcard Skills

Old 11-12-2012, 04:09 PM   #7
Mulsiphix

• Basic p66 is the original source of Magery
  • Basic p175 is the original source of Wildcard Skills
  • Magic p202 adds a new wildcard skill (Magic!) but does not mention Wildcard Magery.
  • Thaumatology p75 does mention Wildcard Magery but only in the example, not as a term being defined. Is this the source of the term/name "Wildcard Magery"? Probably not given the Thaumatology excerpt is entitled Wildcard Colleges. If it is then I would know for certain that Wildcard Magery! doesn't apply to my character since Wildcard Colleges are different than Wildcard Magic!;

GURPS Thaumatology, p75, Wildcard Colleges
See p. 202 of GURPS Magic for an even simpler wildcard system: wizards learn Magic! as a wildcard skill, and may then cast any spell at a penalty equal to its full prerequisite count.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #8
NightHawk

Ok here is the full description for it
Quote:
For standard magic use Magery, for Ritual Magic use Ritual Magery, for Wildcard! magic use Wildcard Magery!, for Clerical Magic use Power Investiture
So GCA has it set up as a seperate advantage that just uses Magery as its prerequisite. And actually has the same cost as Magery. So looks like the advantage is just a little more specific based on the magic system you are using. but basically the same thing as Magery

Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
Mulsiphix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightHawk View Post
So GCA has it set up as a seperate advantage that just uses Magery as its prerequisite. And actually has the same cost as Magery. So looks like the advantage is just a little more specific based on the magic system you are using. but basically the same thing as Magery
So the term most likely originated from GCA itself? If it doesn't appear in a book, doesn't that make Wildcard Magery a custom/homebrew advantage? Either way, thank you for helping me. I want to make sure I can back up my suggestions to my new GM. I don't think my character concept is what he had in mind when he called for players. Just want to make things nice and easy for him ^_^;
Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
NightHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
So the term most likely originated from GCA itself? If it doesn't appear in a book, doesn't that make Wildcard Magery a custom/homebrew advantage? Either way, thank you for helping me. I want to make sure I can back up my suggestions to my new GM. I don't think my character concept is what he had in mind when he called for players. Just want to make things nice and easy for him ^_^;
As a GM I would think it could be used either way, I could use it to limit the magic spells you are able to access or even have a little fun and give you some crazy and wild effects for using any spell..

I think it is a great way to enhance a campaign. I don't think your GM would have a problem with it because it is really just a specific type of Magery. and helps to define your character more If only by renaming the same skill.

He could also use it to give you a different list of spells, i.e. mix a few groups together. So really it is more of an advantage in his court than yours.

A good GM could make it fun and interesting for both himself/herself and you.

Tags
magery, magic, magic!, wildcard, wildcard magic