Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
rknop

Default Ethereals & Disturbance

OK, I should just know this, but I don't.

Ethereals cause Disturbance, don't they?

I can think up arguments either way. ("Ethereals disturb like humans" -- only when spending Essence consciously, using Songs, or "Ethereals disturb like Celestials" -- including mudane whacking on things.)

P. 54 of In Nomine talks all about Celestials disturbing, does not (unless I missed it) mention Ethereals.
rknop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Acolyte

Default Re: Ethereals & Disturbance

Ethereals cause disturbance in the manner of celestials--obviously when using Songs and Essence-powered rolls and attunements, but also when merely destroying things. Only humans can significantly alter the corporeal realm without the Symphony pegging the intervention as unnatural.

I suppose it would make sense to say that celestials cause disturbance when destroying things in the Marches while ethereals don't, but hearing disturbance is more iffy in the Marches anyway.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Ethereals & Disturbance

One addition: Combat in the Marches doesn't cause Disturbance because it's "not real." I would assume that "destruction" in the Marches would follow the same rules.

Destroying Forces in the Marches does cause noise-- when it's ethereal/celestial vs. human or celestial vs. ethereal. But if an ethereal hurts a celestial or another ethereal, it's perfectly silent .... presumably because the ethereals and humans belong there, but the celestials don't. Messing with a human's dreamscape makes a little noise, too.

And yes, on Earth, ethereals make Disturbance just as celestials do.

(All of the above paraphrased from the Ethereal Player's Guide, which has far more detailed rules on ethereals in general.)

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbance, ethereals