Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2017, 04:52 PM   #1
Ransom

Default [DF] How do you pronounce Paut?

Exactly what the thread title says. My players need to know. Also, where does that potion name come from?
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: [DF] How do you pronounce Paut?

We say "pot" which is funny and possibly correct, although it might have been "pat", I think. It's ancient Egyptian barley beer.

Edit: Although maybe not. Apparently it means "First Occasion" and refers to the cosmological emergence of a god.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 12-01-2017 at 05:05 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 05:54 PM   #3
Bicorn

One of my players kept pronouncing it like "pout" but I'm fairly sure he's wrong. Of course, even scholars don't agree how Ancient Egyptian was actually pronounced, especially in regards to vowels.

Edit to add - apparently it comes from a word that E.A. Wallis Budge, an early Egyptologist, said meant something like "primal matter". Budge's work is generally considered outdated today, mind.

Last edited by Bicorn; 12-01-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Bicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
Anaraxes

The Egyptians didn't write their vowels, so we don't really know. We have some guesses based on comparison of sounds in other scripts, as on the Rosetta Stone, or comparing pronunciations in Coptic or names written in other ancient languages by Egyptians. Plus a few arbitrary rules just to make things pronounceable (like "if nothing else, just stick an 'e' between consonants").

The vulture we like to transliterate as "a" might be the sound at the end of the name "Cleopatra", or it might be a glottal stop. The hieroglyphic transliterated as "u" is also used for "w", so either there's a missing vowel, or it probably has the sound of a short "u" rather than a long one. (On the other hand, it's also used to write the name written in English as "Khufu", and which I usually hear pronounced as "Koo-foo" rather than "Kuh-fuh", if for no other reason than the alternative is Kh?wf?w, where you guess your favorite vowel, maybe "Khawfaw" or "Khehwfehw". Besides which that name is also spelled "Cheops", which gives you an idea of how much we're guessing.)

So, probably something like pah-uht. Or if you want to go with the glottal stop, think the Cockney pronunciation of "bottle", change the "b" to a "p", and the ending "l" to a "t", so like "p'uht".

Since it's a magical term, the meaning is probably close to something like "primeval matter", the stuff out of which the gods and the universe were made.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
whswhs

I say it "pout," because I'm accustomed to using the continental vowels rather than the English ones for a language transliterated into English, unless I know specific rules that say otherwise. I haven't studied how Egyptian is transliterated at all closely, but I have the impression it's mostly guesswork in the first place.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:16 PM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn View Post
One of my players kept pronouncing it like "pout" but I'm fairly sure he's wrong. Of course, even scholars don't agree how Ancient Egyptian was actually pronounced, especially in regards to vowels.
Yeah, we're guessing. It's bilabial stop-vowel-alveolar or dental stop. Your guess what goes in those slots is probably as good as anybody's. Though you can perhaps build a reasonably strong case the initial bilabial stop is *not* [p] - because the absence of that sound despite the presence of [b] is a fairly common feature of languages in this part of the world for some reason.

I think pot works pretty well what with the gamer connotations, though I've suggested bud before, and it may be more likely.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #7
David Johnston2

Any way you want. Personally I go with giving it two syllables Pah-ut.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
How did it end up being chosen as the name of a the DF equivalent of a mana potion?
Google tells me it was used by Tim Powers in The Anubis Gates as a magical substance.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #9
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Google tells me it was used by Tim Powers in The Anubis Gates as a magical substance.
Which is probably where Ken Hite got it for GURPS Cabal, and thence to Dungeon Fantasy.
Apollonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:25 AM   #10
Kalzazz

I say it like taut, but with a p
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
paut