Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 03-07-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Blue Ghost

Default Blood Sport scenario

It's "fight for your parole" night at the Buffalo Arena. Each potential parolee is a felon with a violent record, driving a low division (maybe 15k) class vehicle outfitted as they please within arena rules. Several dozen parolees will be featured tonight.

Their opponent, a renovated Soviet surplus ZSU ("zoo") 34 with extra armor. Any parolee driver may elect to "bug out", but forfeits their parole hearing, and must serve out the rest of their sentence.

It's an idea I've been toying with ... not sure about all the details.
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
syncrogt1

Default Re: Blood Sport scenario

I wouldn't give any prisoner 15k, they'd be lucky to get a $1000 car.

cool idea though.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Blue Ghost

Yeah, I thought maybe a 5k car armed with MGs, RLs and/or LAWs, but haven't played in a long time against tanks.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #4
Netzilla

I had thought of a similar scenario that I always wanted to run for a convention, but the convicts were given motorcycles rather than cars.
Netzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:31 AM   #5
swordtart

Or baseball bats with nails in ;)
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
juris

We'd occasionally do a wheel v walker Am Night. In that case convicts were worth points - those who survived a certain number of rounds and managed to inflict damage won their freedom. However, if burst effect weapons were allowed few survived...
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:29 PM   #7
Blue Ghost

I remember the wheel verse walker mention in one of the rule books. Never did one AFAIK.

I chose the ZSU-34 because it has a fast turning turret that rotates at Car Wars speeds and not CW Tank speeds. That, and it has four ... Autocanons? .. linked together instead of one massive tank gun.

Let's say the duel is called once the ZSU is either put out of action or runs out of ammo.

More thoughts ... I'm thinking a group of Players could use this as a starting duel for a campaign. All are falsely accused prisoners that were railroaded through a kangaroo court, and are given the opportunity for freedom via this match.

If they win, or survive, they get to keep their cars and equipment, and are set free. If they lose ... well, that's self explanatory.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:44 AM   #8
Blue Ghost

So, the way I see it, the "duel" is rigged from the start, and the players are part of the night's festivities (if you call being splattered across the arena a festivity). And the players must bust out of the arena, maybe even capture the ZSU, or somehow incapacitate it as the start of a campaign.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
josephrey

Location: on the road!! check out www.chingchingwong.com to see where we currently are. :)

Heh, definitely rigged. Where perhaps the character(s) win against all odds and get a contract with the prison system in order to not make it TOO easy to earn their freedom.

A Running Man styled event might be kinda interesting too. Each convict gets a vehicle and has to make it out through a maze or challenging course. Maybe that's a little too Death Racey?

Man, I need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and start hosting PBEM's again. :)
josephrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:06 AM   #10
Blue Ghost

A very cool idea. :)