Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #11
RyanW

Default Re: Lemurophobia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
A problem is that the first part of the word is Latin and the second part of the word is Greek.
Using words of mixed origins is a serious dysfunction of sociological and neuroscientific norms.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #12
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Using words of mixed origins is a serious dysfunction of sociological and neuroscientific norms.
Yes, yes, there are lots of examples. But I still prefer consistent Latin or consistent Greek aesthetically.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:14 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'd imagine that the phobia of undead in a world with one type would just add that word to phobia, even if the person fears types that don't exist there.

Then again, most people don't use official phobia names. Most just say, "fear of clowns" rather than "coulrophobia" which isn't even recognized by my spellcheck. Ailurophobia, cyanophobia aren't known either.
Not to mention phobias that aren't always fears like homophobia, trypophobia, and agoraphobia.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #14
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Then again, most people don't use official phobia names. Most just say, "fear of clowns" rather than "coulrophobia" which isn't even recognized by my spellcheck. Ailurophobia, cyanophobia aren't known either.
Fear of blue-green?

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:34 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Ha. I misspelled cynophobia, didn't I? Apparently, cyanophobia is a real word and fear. I learned something by making a mistake.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:57 PM   #16
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Nothing pathological about fearing undead...
The pathology isn't in the fear - it's in the reaction. Remember a phobia can either be an irrational fear or a dysfunctional fear response (or both). I was thinking of a DF style adventurer who becomes a screaming wreck when faced with some low end skeletons (subject to a failed control test of course) ... it's natural to be afraid in any form of combat, but when it makes a character freeze up, they get points for combat paralysis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Might still need to decide how often you'd encounter them. Are we talking the world of The Walking Dead (ubiquitous), Bram Stoker's London (rare and unknown), or the average Dungeon Fantasy setting (somewhere betwixt the other two)?
Valid point - and not something that I remember being directly applied to phobias in RAW (although we have a ready made set of percentages which we can easily apply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, yes, there are lots of examples. But I still prefer consistent Latin or consistent Greek aesthetically.
... if I could find an idiomatic term for undead in the Greek I would have used it.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote