Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2017, 11:30 PM   #1
Tigrah2k

Default How would you...?

Hi everyone,

I'm back with another random question. This one is interesting and meaningful to my group's modern mage campaign.

I have understood that pretty much every advantage/disadvantage could be turned into a spell.

Are there any known rules for this?

Also, any recommended rules for a "bag of holding" kind of object? The way my group and I think it would work is to take the advantage for storing objects in the character and turn that into a spell, then use the spell to create theenchantment.

Any insights, thoughts, or suggestions greatly appreciated as always.
Tigrah2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: How would you...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post
Hi everyone,
Hello.

Quote:

I have understood that pretty much every advantage/disadvantage could be turned into a spell.

Mostly use Affliction to grant Advantages and Disadvantages.
Some specific cases could be handled differently.

Quote:
Also, any recommended rules for a "bag of holding" kind of object? The way my group and I think it would work is to take the advantage for storing objects in the character and turn that into a spell, then use the spell to create theenchantment.

Payload with Cosmic is the way to build the power. You could use Affliction with Permanent to enchant a bag to have that power.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #3
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:

One of GURPS' magic systems is built round this idea. The book about it is GURPS Thaumatology: Sorcery, available from Warehouse 23.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 07:12 AM   #4
JMason

Quote:

There is more than one way to skin a cat... It really depends on what kind of "spell" you want. The easiest would be to use the Powers system to turn the advantage into a magical power with whatever other limitations you want on it (cost FP, takes extra time, switchable, etc.). The Sorcery system is a more complete version of this idea.

If you want it as a spell like the default magic system, then you'll probably have to build that yourself, assigning what you feel are the proper prerequisites, cost, time, duration, etc. There are some guidelines in Magic on creating new spells.

Ritual Path Magic can grant just about anything with the proper amount of energy and paths.

So again, it really depends on what sort of "spell" you are looking for.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #5
JanMikal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
There is more than one way to skin a cat...
Cat-Skinning (IQ/E) - This is the skill of removing the outer fur or hide from a creature of feline descent. Make a roll to produce a usable, serviceable hide from which clothing can be made. It takes four such hides from an average housecat to make a pair of gloves or mittens, around 10 to make a 'hair shirt' or jerkin, or pair of trousers. Failure means you tore the hide or damaged it in some way and have to repair it before it can be used (see Leatherworking, p205). Critical Failure results in 1d cutting damage to the hands and arms. A natural 18 results in the same damage to the face.

Incompatible with any amount of Animal Friend Talent.
JanMikal is offline   Reply With Quote