Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #1
Phantasm

Default Horizontal Question

Got a question for folks:

The Horizontal trait seems to imply that you have to have four legs. However, bipedal theropods are generally depicted as being in a horizontal posture, despite having only two legs. Would this trait be suitable for them, or am I missing something in the fine print?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:46 PM   #2
Vaevictis Asmadi

Default Re: Horizontal Question

The game effects of horizontal are that you have difficulty using your hands or other grasping limbs because you have to walk on them. You can use your hands, or run at your full speed, but you can't do both at the same time.

Usually this means a species has four legs and no other limbs. Therapods, which have hands that they usually don't walk on, aren't Horizontal. Elephants, which don't walk on their trunks, shouldn't have Horizontal either, even though it is in their Basic Set template.

Most therapods don't seem to have opposable thumbs, though. Troodon and some others may have, but a lot of them probably don't. So depending on the genus, Bad Grip or No Fine Manipulators may be applicable. But not Horizontal.
Vaevictis Asmadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #3
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
The game effects of horizontal are that you have difficulty using your hands or other grasping limbs because you have to walk on them. You can use your hands, or run at your full speed, but you can't do both at the same time.

Usually this means a species has four legs and no other limbs. Therapods, which have hands that they usually don't walk on, aren't Horizontal. Elephants, which don't walk on their trunks, shouldn't have Horizontal either, even though it is in their Basic Set template.

Most therapods don't seem to have opposable thumbs, though. Troodon and some others may have, but a lot of them probably don't. So depending on the genus, Bad Grip or No Fine Manipulators may be applicable. But not Horizontal.
I think Horizontal is more complicated than that, that's why they have it.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:27 AM   #4
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi
Elephants, which don't walk on their trunks, shouldn't have Horizontal either, even though it is in their Basic Set template.
The justification appears to be that their morphology prevents easy use of their forelimbs (and makes their kicks weaker). Having an Extra Arm (the trunk) doesn't change that.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Vaevictis Asmadi

But isn't another effect of Horizontal on elephants to prevent them from using their trunks to hold anything while walking at full speed? Which makes no sense.

Last edited by Vaevictis Asmadi; 07-08-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
nerdvana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaevictis Asmadi View Post
But isn't another effect of Horizontal on elephants to prevent them from using their trunks to hold anything while walking at full speed? Which makes no sense.
I interpret Horizontal in the RAW to assume only four limbs. When adding new limbs they can sometimes be exceptions. A centaur would not have an exception (they are not horizontal even though part of their body is) but an elephant would be (they are horizontal but have an exotic additional limb).
nerdvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM   #7
Vaevictis Asmadi

To me elephants are one-armed centauroids, so I don't really see any difference. When building bilaterally symmetrical races, if I'm giving them more legs than arms, and the arms have a different strength from the rest of the body, it usually makes them centauroid in my eyes.

Tags
dinosaurs, disadvantages, horizontal, q&a, rules