Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-24-2018, 04:34 PM   #521
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: New Sci Fi Setting Seeds

There are people now that don't like being forced to do all sorts of common mandatory things. I don't seer why that would change in a plausible future or alternate universe. Unless you want to go full dystopian mind control.

Having one's fundamental personality and mental functions changed is I feel a bit more basic of a liberty violation than paying taxes, vaccinations, or what have you.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:07 PM   #522
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTTG View Post
Right, but in a world where enforced mind alteration was common, you'd almost certainly not, since after all, that would be a "problem" worthy of fixing with enforced mind alteration.
You are aware that some right wing radicals use the same argument against public schooling. I said this setting had scary elements.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:14 PM   #523
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
There are people now that don't like being forced to do all sorts of common mandatory things. I don't seer why that would change in a plausible future or alternate universe. Unless you want to go full dystopian mind control.

Having one's fundamental personality and mental functions changed is I feel a bit more basic of a liberty violation than paying taxes, vaccinations, or what have you.
Many of these bio-mods are seen as like vaccinations. Take me, and place me in this setting. They slap the Empathy advantage into my brain in about five minutes. Then they'd get me new eyeballs. When I had a chance to breathe then they'd really go to town. Unlike the Twilight Zone episode this setting evokes, I'd still be me and have free will. Although my head would be spinning for years.

Ancora Imparo
Old 08-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #524
adm

Assuming the setting starts out like TNG Trek, what sort of mods suddenly show up in a war for existence like what would happen vs the Borg? Given some of the description of the Dominion, they already do this to varying degrees. Likely better than being a subject race of the Klingons, Romulans, Cardassians, etc. etc., etc. but not by much.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #525
AlexanderHowl

I do not think that biomods can give Empathy (maybe the Empath Talent, but not Empathy). Now, a proteus virus could give someone the Delusion that they possess Empathy, which could be real scary if the Delusion was ubiquitous. When it comes to brainwashing though, it just works better when you have a telepath around to tell you if it worked.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:52 PM   #526
Flyndaran
Untagged

I have at best quirk low empathy. I most certainly would not want anything approaching Gurps Empathy.
I want to deal with my many limitations and disadvantages on my own terms.

Imagine forcing all deaf people to get hypothetical good as normal hearing treatments. You would have a literal riot.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:57 PM   #527
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do not think that biomods can give Empathy (maybe the Empath Talent, but not Empathy). Now, a proteus virus could give someone the Delusion that they possess Empathy, which could be real scary if the Delusion was ubiquitous. When it comes to brainwashing though, it just works better when you have a telepath around to tell you if it worked.
In the GURPS game Empathy or the advantage of that name can be induced with a bio-mod. As I wrote it, the people of this setting aren't into mind control, but they will require you to be healthy on their terms. That's coercive enough to be alienating. But you could see someone making a defense of it.

Ancora Imparo

Last edited by Astromancer; 08-25-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #528
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

(SNIP)

Imagine forcing all deaf people to get hypothetical good as normal hearing treatments. You would have a literal riot.
Something that obvious would have been corrected in the uterus. Some of the more subtle mental quirks might wait until adolescence, or later.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 09:23 PM   #529
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Something that obvious would have been corrected in the uterus. Some of the more subtle mental quirks might wait until adolescence, or later.
That just changes the issue to removing parents' choice. Deaf parents may refuse such genetic testing to avoid being forced to alter their offspring.

The issue is much more complicated that "just fix everything I consider a disorder regardless of what they want."
Old 08-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #530
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
One hundred twenty SM+12 freighters, each capable of carrying 50,000 metric tons of nitrogen, would be required for the six year cycle. If we assume TL10 fusion, they only require 20,000 metric tons of hydrogen for the roundtrip (240 mps delta-v), which can be supplied at Titan. The remainder of the mass would be three sections of armor, a habitat, a control room, and a fusion engine (with the control room and habitat being mass shielded in the core systems).
You'll want to build the largest craft possible, with the largest nitrogen vacuoles possible, because of the square-cube law (easier to keep the nitrogen at the storage temperature, net lower costs of building the containers, etc.). Unless the price of Hydrogen is substantially cheaper on side of the trip, the rocket equation favours refueling at the destination, instead of just at one side. Tying up 15% of the craft's mass in armor is wasteful. Using lightweight metal, or perhaps kevlar, would probably be sufficient, and would probably not take more than 5% of the crafts mass. Having people on board is also wasteful. Besides the mass cost of the habitat, they demand a great deal supplies (which would waste more mass) and demand high labour costs. Better to front the capital for total automation.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote