Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
copeab

Default [WWII][3E] 25-point Battle of Britain characters

All characters copyright 2009 by Brandon Cope

Here are six NPCs that might be encountered in England during the Battle of Britain. Character types like them also appeared in most other nations at some point during the war (in particular, most of these would fir in Germany in 1945).

Unlike most other NPCs based on templates, these equal or exceed the listed template totals. The templates for these characters may be found on p.W:TFH43-45.
-------------------------
Joe the Home Guard #1
Setting: WWII

ST: 10 [0]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 10 [0]; HT: 10 [0]

Advantages: Charisma +1 [5]; Empathy [15]; Resistant to Poison [5]

Disadvantages: Duty [-10]; Night Blindness [-10]; Skinny [-5]
Skills: Area Knowledge (Isle of Sheppey)-12 [4]; Bicycling-9 [1/2]; Brawling-10 [1]; Camouflage-11 [1]; Cooking-12 [4]; First Aid-9 [1/2]; Gambling-9 [1]; Games (Checkers)-9 [1/2]; Guns (Rifle)-11* [1]; Musical Instrument (Fiddle)-9 [2]; NBC Warfare-8 [1/2]; Savoir-Faire (Military)-11 [1]; Scrounging-10 [1]; Soldier-10 [2]; Spear-8 [1/2]; Stealth-8 [1/2]; Throwing-8 [1]; Tactics (Infantry)-8 [1]; Traps-9 [1]

* +1 for IQ 10

Languages: English-10 [0]; Welsh-9 [1]

Notes: This NPC (and the next) could be used as German Volksturm with little modification. They can also be used to represent poorly trainedd militia in certain other countries, or aging Great War veterans.
-----------------------
Joe the Home Guard #2

ST: 10 [0]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 10 [0]; HT: 10 [0]

Advantages: Danger Sense [15]; Night Vision [10]

Disadvantages: Addiction (Tobacco) [-5]; Duty [-10]; Hard of Hearing [-10]
Skills: Animal Handling (Sheep)-14/8 [2]; Area Knowledge (Isle of Sheppey)-12 [4]; Camouflage-11 [1]; First Aid-9 [1/2]; Gambling-9 [1]; Games (Checkers)-10 [1]; Guns (Rifle)-12* [2]; Guns (Shotgun)-11* [1]; Literature (Ancient Greek)-13/7 [1]; NBC Warfare-8 [1/2]; Savoir-Faire (Military)-11 [1]; Scrounging-10 [1]; Soldier-10 [2]; Spear-8 [1/2]; Stealth-8 [1/2]; Survival (Swampland)-9 [1]; Throwing-8 [1]; Tactics (Infantry)-8 [1]; Traps-9 [1]

* +1 for IQ 10

Languages: English-10 [0]; Ancient Greek-9 [1]

Notes: See the Notes above. also, the two Home Guard are intended as a bit of a "matched pair".
-----------------------
Joe the Air Raid Warden

ST: 12 [20]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 10 [0]; HT: 10 [0]

Advantages: Strong Will +2 [8]

Disadvantages: Duty [-5]; Intolerance (Germans) [-5]; Poverty (Struggling) [-10]; Stubbornness [-5]; Unattractive [-5]

Skills: Area Knowledge (East London)-12 [4]; Brawling-10 [2]; Camouflage-11 [2]; Explosive Ordnance Disposal-9 [1]; First Aid-10 [1]; Freight Handling-12 [6]; Intimidation-11 [4]; NBC Warfare-9 [1]; Running-8 [1]; Scrounging-10 [1]; Sport (Rugby)-12 [2]; Streetwise-9 [1]; Survival (Urban)-9 [1]

Languages: English-10 [0]
Notes: This NPC loaded cargo on civilian trucks before becoming a no-nonsense warden.
-------------------------
Joe of the Observer Corps

ST: 10 [0]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 11 [10]; HT: 10 [0]

Advantages: Absolute Direction [5]; Acute Vision +2 [4]; Status 1 [5]

Disadvantages: Duty [-5]; Phobia (Blood) [-10]; Workaholic [-5]
Skills: Area Knowledge (Margate)-12 [2]; Electronics Operation (Sensors)-10 [1]; First Aid-11 [1]; Games (Chess)-11 [1]; History (England)-14/8 [1]; Literature (William Blake)-14/8 [1]; NBC Warfare-10 [1]; Professional Skill (Aircraft Identification)-12 [2]; Research-10 [1]; Savoir Faire-11 [1]; Scrounging-11 [1]; Survival (Urban)-10 [1]; Teaching-12 [4]; Writing-10 [1]

Languages: English-11 [0]

Notes: Before this war, this NPC was a teacher.
--------------------------------------
Jane the Auxiliary RAF Servicewoman

ST: 10 [0]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 11 [10]; HT: 11 [10]

Advantages: Alertness +1 [5]

Disadvantages: Duty [-5]; Poverty (Struggling) [-10]

Skills: Administration-11 [2]; Area Knowledge (East London)-12 [2]; Aviation-10 [1]; Camouflage-11 [1]; Electronics Operation (Communications)-11 [2]; First Aid-11 [1]; Motorcycle-12 [4]; Musical Instrument (Piano)-10 [2]; NBC Warfare-10 [1]; Savoir-Faire (Military)-11 [1]; Singing-10 [1/2]; Typing-10 [1/2]

Languages: English-11 [0]; French-11 [2]

Notes: An Army or Navy servicewoman would be similar, but with Soldier or Sailor instead of Aviation.
--------------------------
Joe the Auxiliary Firefighter

ST: 11 [10]; DX: 10 [0]; IQ: 10 [0]; HT: 11 [10]

Advantages: Fearlessness +3 [6]; Fit [5]; Toughness [10]

Disadvantages: Compulsive Behavior (Binge Drinking) [-10]; Duty [-15]; Poverty (Struggling) [-10]; Semi-Literacy [-5]

Skills: Architecture-9 [1]; Area Knowledge (East London)-11 [2]; Climbing-10 [2]; Driving (Construction equipment)-10 [2]; Engineer (Civil)-9 [1]; First Aid-11 [2]; Masonry-12 [4]; NBC Warfare-9 [1]; Professional Skill (Fireman)-12 [6]; Streetwise-9 [1]; Survival (Urban)-10 [2]

Languages: English-10 [0]

Notes: This NPC could also be used as the basis of a small-town volunteer fireman.

GURPS 3e stuff: http://copeab.tripod.com
copeab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:40 AM   #2
Michele

Default Re: [WWII][3E] 25-point Battle of Britain characters

Thanks, Brandon, interesting characters.

I'm somewhat surprised the Home Guard blokes didn't pick up half a point for identifying aircraft. Yes, it's not mandatory for them, but it was quite a craze at the time and after all they live and serve in a place that saw significant air action overhead.
Joe #2 must be a curious guy to talk with - a shepherd with an interest in ancient Greek literature.

As to Jane, 4 points in Motorcycle? Don't you think it's a lot? 4 points mean she rode a lot, before 1940 in all likelihood, and before volunteering as a WAAF. If she were a Comfortable, high-status tomboy with a fixation for motorcycles, OK. A Struggling East London girl?
Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
Thanks, Brandon, interesting characters.
You're welcome ;)

Quote:
Joe #2 must be a curious guy to talk with - a shepherd with an interest in ancient Greek literature.
It was how I answered the question "What does he do when the sheep are grazing?"

Quote:
As to Jane, 4 points in Motorcycle? Don't you think it's a lot? 4 points mean she rode a lot, before 1940 in all likelihood, and before volunteering as a WAAF. If she were a Comfortable, high-status tomboy with a fixation for motorcycles, OK. A Struggling East London girl?
I'll admit it was a bit much, but I wanted her to be a good motorcyclist and I liked raising that skill more than her others. I suppose one could justify it by saying she was a messenger/courier before the war.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #4
Michele

Quote:
Originally Posted by copeab View Post
I'll admit it was a bit much, but I wanted her to be a good motorcyclist and I liked raising that skill more than her others. I suppose one could justify it by saying she was a messenger/courier before the war.
That would be uncommon, at least. A messenger/courier who is a woman, before the war.
My own guess would be that an even weirder background would be, at this time (late 1930s), actually more believable: she's from a family of wandering entertainers whose specialty are motorcycle stunts. Still quite uncommon, but that would be my guess on the basis of what I know of British society of the time. Maybe British contributors can shed some more light on the issue.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
That would be uncommon, at least. A messenger/courier who is a woman, before the war.
Let me digress a moment ...

The vast majority (over 90%) of the 25-point NPCs I create (and also vehicles, for that matter) never get used in my campaigns. I design both as a hobby. I post them since others might get some use out of them.

However, every now and then, I create an NPC or vehicle with an eye to using it in a campaign. The RAF ground crew last month was one example. The RAF cyclist is another. I tend to run "pulpy" games, so while a female character with "male" skills isn't common, it's not as surprising as a realistic campaign.

So, the auxiliary airwoman got shaped by possible plans to use her in my campaign, which made the NPC a bit less generic or realistic.

Tags
wwii