Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-01-2012, 09:07 AM   #41
vierasmarius

Default Re: Help needed with leveled powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunker View Post
Yeah I'm going to change that. Though how I'm not sure. He can't use it on plants or the undead I'm pretty sure. Basically he can't use it on "mindless" creatures rather than non-sentient ones AFAIK.
I think Mind Control not working on Mindless creatures is pretty standard, and doesn't merit a further limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomasz View Post
I'd go with Magic Resistance and DR, both with Force Field +20% and Active Defense, -40%, making them work like DX-based parry (that just doesn't prevent being hit, but adds MR or DR if successful).
I was going to suggest that as well, except that (if I understand the OP's intent) he wants a power that can be activated as normal, giving a short-duration magic resistance effect, or activated instantly to defend against an incoming spell. Active Defense gives a power that can only be used on the defensive; he'd have to roll every time a spell comes at him, instead of being able to set the ward in place for a duration.

But yeah, adding Magic DR would also be a good idea, letting him resist damaging spells and powers.

Quote:
Sounds good too. Where do I find Active Defense? BS?
It's in Powers, page 112 (as a variant of Requires Attribute Roll).

Last edited by vierasmarius; 05-01-2012 at 09:12 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #42
Grunker

True on the Heliotrop part V. I don't think letting it be only defensive is necessarily a good idea... Although I actually think this is the only way it is used in the books IIRC - though not in the video games (but they do take certain liberties with the Signs). So perhaps Active Defense is the way to go.
Grunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #43
vierasmarius

Quote:
True on the Heliotrop part V. I don't think letting it be only defensive is necessarily a good idea... Although I actually think this is the only way it is used in the books IIRC - though not in the video games (but they do take certain liberties with the Signs). So perhaps Active Defense is the way to go.
That's probably a good idea, especially since the Affliction (Magic Resistance) + Reflexive build will give you a power that's more expensive and more limited than just Magic Resistance on its own.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:55 AM   #44
Grunker

Another question: Mind Control (Suggestion) doesn't specify whether the suggestion needs to made "out loud" verbally to the one your using it on. I.e. do you need to say "these are not the droids you're looking for" or can you somehow telepathically transfer the suggestions?

Reason I ask is that I'd like Axii to rely on eye-contact (sense-based) AND hearing the suggestion :)

Last edited by Grunker; 05-01-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #45
Langy

Quote:
Another question: Mind Control (Suggestion) doesn't specify whether the suggestion needs to made "out loud" verbally to the one your using it on. I.e. do you need to say "these are not the droids you're looking for" or can you somehow telepathically transfer the suggestions?

Reason I ask is that I'd like Axii to rely on eye-contact (accessiblity) AND hearing the suggestion :)
If they need to hear it, then it should also have Sense-Based (Hearing) as a limitation. EDIT: Actually, let me check Psionic Powers. Pretty sure this is specifically mentioned...

EDIT2: Yep, just checked, and it needs Sense-Based in order to require hearing.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #46
Grunker

Does Sense-based stack like this? I mean does Sense-based (hearing) and Sense-based (eye-contact) amount to -40%?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #47
Langy

Quote:
Does Sense-based stack like this? I mean does Sense-based (hearing) and Sense-based (eye-contact) amount to -40%?
This 'stacking' of sense-based isn't mentioned in the RAW, so I suppose it does stack by default.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #48
Grunker

Thanks a ton for your help. I'll probably be back with more questions ;)

You guys will definetely be mentioned in the credits!
Old 05-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #49
Grunker

For Heliotrop, how do I deal with the fact that there are two advantages? Right now the power looks like this on level 1:

Magic Resistance 2, Damage Resistance 2. Enhancements: Force Field. Limitations: Active Defense, Limited (DR only works against magic).

As such, the -20% for limited also reduces the cost of Magic Resistance (which it obviously shouldn't. Should I instead calculate the cost of each of the two advantages and then mash the cost together?
Old 05-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #50
vierasmarius

Quote:
As such, the -20% for limited also reduces the cost of Magic Resistance (which it obviously shouldn't. Should I instead calculate the cost of each of the two advantages and then mash the cost together?
Yeah, build them as two separate advantages. For examples of leveled powers that include multiple advantages, check out Psionic Powers. For instance, Steal Dreams includes a Fatigue attack and Mind Reading, with each level increasing the range of both.

Tags
adaptation, fantasy