Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-13-2018, 12:10 PM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default GURPS Eberron, Redux

Hello, everyone!

It's been a while since I posted here - mostly because it's been a while since I ran or was involved in a GURPS game.

However, I just moved to a new city and am in the process of establishing a new gaming group. I've found a few interested players, and so far they seem to be open to either D&D 5E or GURPS as the game system. And among the possible settings I have proposed, Eberron seems to find the most interest.

So while I won't put in serious efforts into a new conversion until it is confirmed, it can't hurt to put some thoughts into this. It's been 11.5 years since I last made the effort, and I think I can do better now.

My first thoughts:

- Races: There are a bunch of D&D solid racial templates at the GURPS Repository which I can swipe, but I need to add the new Eberron races (Warforged, Shifters, Changelings, Kalashtar) as well as notes on the social stigmas the various races have. I will have to think on whether I use older templates or come up with new ones. There is some newer information on these races from the D&D 4E and 5E version of the setting though, which I should take into account.

- Magic: I think "wizards" could simply use the standard spell magic system, without any school restrictions - it's not "pure" D&D, but I don't think the setting suffers by allowing "arcane spellcasters" access to healing magic. "Divine" spellcasters can get a bunch of non-spell powers in exchange - maybe I will just use the spell lists from assorted Dungeon Fantasy supplements.

- Artificers: Maybe I will give them magic item-based Modular Abilities, as well as gizmos - they can jury-rig magic items together for personal use.

- Dragonmarks: This is probably the toughest one - I think it's best to implement these as Powers in the style of GURPS Powers, but that's going to take some work.

What are your thoughts? And have you run any GURPS Eberron games in the last few years?
Old 11-13-2018, 12:46 PM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: GURPS Eberron, Redux

One thing you might do with D&D magic is to use the Path/Book style. You 'prepare spells' by performing the rituals, and then carry the charms with you to cast the spells, later (or fudge up a house rule where you can store the spells/rituals in your aura, or something like that. The Schools of magic could thus be Paths, if you wanted to be that close to the source material.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
One thing you might do with D&D magic is to use the Path/Book style. You 'prepare spells' by performing the rituals, and then carry the charms with you to cast the spells, later (or fudge up a house rule where you can store the spells/rituals in your aura, or something like that. The Schools of magic could thus be Paths, if you wanted to be that close to the source material.
I'm not convinced this adds that much to the setting, other than possibly the "spell memorization" thing (which could be added in other ways, if I were so inclined). The standard GURPS Magic system has its warts, but it has the large variety of spells people tend to expect from D&D settings.
Old 11-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
It's been 11.5 years since I last made the effort, and I think I can do better now.
I actually used this is a basis for a campaign a while back, but I never realized how old it was! I would love to see some revamping and tinkering, and I will be back when I have some more time to help with the process!

GURPS is my favorite system and Eberron is my favorite setting, so I'd love to see this revitalized!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:56 AM   #5
Jürgen Hubert

Both GURPS and Eberron have accumulated quite a lot of new rules material since then, so it's high time we take another look at all this. I don’t think I examined the assorted Eberron sourcebooks all that closely back then, and there have been new additions in later editions as well (such as the Warforged Scout in the 5e Wayfinder's Guide).
Old 11-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #6
Refplace

Not familiar with Eberron but I like tinkering with powers so my help if examples are provided. The Wizardry Refined article in Pyramid #3/60 addresses most of the so called warts of regular magic.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 01:39 AM   #7
Jürgen Hubert

I have my own house rules for spells here:

http://german-geek.blogspot.com/2016...pells.html?m=1

Also note that I am not running a Dungeon Fantasy game as such, so I won't be using Dungeon Fantasy conventions (such as "no teleportation").

(I wish there was a revised edition of GURPS Magic that had been fully playtested, but that, alas, is unlikely to happen).
Old 11-14-2018, 01:55 AM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
I have my own house rules for spells here:

http://german-geek.blogspot.com/2016...pells.html?m=1

Also note that I am not running a Dungeon Fantasy game as such, so I won't be using Dungeon Fantasy conventions (such as "no teleportation").

(I wish there was a revised edition of GURPS Magic that had been fully playtested, but that, alas, is unlikely to happen).
I was thinking more of Duration, SM, Enlarge spell, etc. Anyhow, entirely possible you have it all covered. I just tossed out the reference for you and readers of the this thread.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 02:49 AM   #9
scc

By random chance I've had thoughts somewhat along these lines and my advice is to use the increases flexibility that GURPS allows to make Shifters and Kalashtar supplimental racial templates that you can chose to pick after first picking a normal template.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #10
calmquist

I ran an Eberron campaign with GURPS recently. It only lasted for about four sessions before schedules stopped aligning however. I am doing more refinement while waiting for another opportunity.

Races: I made my own race conversions mostly because I wanted to convert the flavor of the races rather than the mechanics.

Magic: I did magic as powers since it was easier to compare with other advantages. Specifically, I used Sorcery, Divine Favor (with sorcery spells) and Psionics. I would look at the the Generic Universal Eggplant blog for ideas. There are hundreds of spells that look pretty good at a glance. https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com...ell-index.html

Artificers: I planned on doing Artificers as Gadgeteer, Gizmos, a (magic) gadget pool and Metatronic Generators.

Dragonmarks: I am still working on these, but I plan on treating them as an Unusual Background that lets them use Dragonmark focus items, a Talent, a Distinctive Feature, and justification for powers. Dragonmarked characters also generally have Status, a Patron, Wealth and a Duty (or an Enemy).

Action Points: I used Impulse Buys and Impulse Control for this. I gave each character three Impulse Points and Villainous Impulse Points by default and let the players take additional levels as advantages/disadvantages.

In general, I would read Keith Baker's advice for conversions. http://keith-baker.com/dragonmarks-1...rting-eberron/
calmquist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, eberron, eberron gurps 4e, gurps eberron