Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #71
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: GURPS Discworld - Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
There's nothing in them that a 'good' GURPS GM couldn't do with 100+ hours of prep (except for the art, and physical props in DFRPG box).
I suspect there are quite a few people who would do better at replicating the art or props than at Phil's writing or research (or Sean's for DFRPG).

Writing GURPS quality books isn't trivially easy or unskilled.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-24-2017 at 05:25 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #72
Refplace

Quote:
Yes, I think it's actually the growth area for GURPS books rather than more books with more rules that I need to remember in my head because I couldn't possibly have all these books open in front of me (even electronically).
I agree it is a larger potential growth area but do appreciate and feel we have more room for new rules (Thaumatology supplements, Technical Grappling, and some material in the Power Ups line), worked examples and clarification of existing rules (GURPS Psionics, Social Engineering, Chinese Elemental magic, and most of the Powers books), rtc.

Quote:
Discworld is mostly trimmed and customized rules plus a worked example of magic.
The system is more than just a worked example of magic, it is its own system that is a nice mix of several things from Thaumatology and a few new bits as well as setting specific rules such as negativism.

Quote:
There's nothing in them that a 'good' GURPS GM couldn't do with 100+ hours of prep (except for the art, and physical props in DFRPG box)
Well we haven't seen DFRPG yet so its all speculation.
However while this may be mostly true, both materials will and already have some additional clarification and setting specific tweeks that some GMs might miss. And even if not its good to have official rulings on certain things to reduce arguments at the table.
And of course with Disc World we got author sanctioned setting material which is worth a lot to many fans.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:23 PM   #73
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I agree it is a larger potential growth area but do appreciate and feel we have more room for new rules (Thaumatology supplements, Technical Grappling, and some material in the Power Ups line), worked examples and clarification of existing rules (GURPS Psionics, Social Engineering, Chinese Elemental magic, and most of the Powers books), rtc.
Which are all out. Short of specific rule questions and sub books I really appreciate rules simplification rather than extra detailed rules. I actually speculate that the buy GURPS Basic set plus multiple PDF books model has broken down, because people are maxed out in the detail level they want and amount they want to spend. But I have no inside information on current GURPS book sales.

Quote:

And of course with Disc World we got author sanctioned setting material which is worth a lot to many fans.
Which is interesting. All I have been able to show the players I demo it to is the online text and cover. Most of them are more interested in the story side of the game than understanding GURPS rules.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #74
lachimba

Someone else has out out a review

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2017/...ion-gurps.html
Old 01-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #75
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
There's nothing in them that a 'good' GURPS GM couldn't do with 100+ hours of prep (except for the art, and physical props in DFRPG box).
I think that might be quite a large + you're talking about there.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:06 AM   #76
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
I think that might be quite a large + you're talking about there.
I probably should have written 100s I certainly didn't want to suggest that the books aren't a lot more work than I would ever want to do.

Saving me 100s of hours or even 100 is worth $$$$

Probably should have written good author too.

My mistake.

Last edited by lachimba; 01-25-2017 at 02:35 AM.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:34 AM   #77
sjard
Stick in the Mud

I think the magic system, with some setting specific lore tweaking (pretty much only in the number of magical forms available, and staff equivalents) and this will become my standard magic system. I've been trying to make something very much like this myself, only never getting it quite right.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 07:20 AM   #78
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
I think the magic system, with some setting specific lore tweaking (pretty much only in the number of magical forms available, and staff equivalents) and this will become my standard magic system. I've been trying to make something very much like this myself, only never getting it quite right.
The small changes he applied were awesome, simple and elegant.
1) Power Objects from DF vs. Powerstones with some setting tweeks.
2) Applying ideas from Power Parry and Parry Missile Weapon for basically point defense.
3) Subtle Dueling as basically a Quick Contest, and Flashy Dueling as a slightly modified Extended Contest. Finally adds the magical dueling I always found wanting in GURPS. Better than relying only on Counterspells (Magic), Blunt Force (RPM with most mana wins and Powers with Static), Code Duelo from Pyramid (overly complicated and too limited), and my own house rules using Control Points (Overly complicated).

Using Magic as core skill instead of Thaumatology (addressing a pet peeve) and the forms were pretty much from GURPS Thaumatology, nothing really new (except narativism) but presented in a pretty little package. Take off the setting wrapping paper and bow and you have a system I will be using as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:33 PM   #79
DreadDomain

Quote:
He is a real GURPS enthusiast! ;)

Good review though.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 04:39 PM   #80
DreadDomain

Quote:
Agreed, as I said in my review.

They flow within the book as its written like a traditional RPG in that it includes a setting and the rules all mixed together.
Things that dont fit the setting are left out and not only does that leave off a lot of traits it makes explanations of many skills easier.
Skills are organized into type groupings such as social which makes it much easier for people to avoid missing a key skill for a character concept and easier for all to find it. A lot of people in my experience are not used ot using an index (I think because most are not nearly as comprehensive as GURPS indexes usually are).

If you already know GURPS this book is unlikely to help you learn it better. But for a newcomer to GURPS this is much less intimidating than the Basic Set.
It definitely raises my interest (and would like a similar treatment to Transhuman Space). In my case it has nothing to do with learning the game but rather hoping a tight, focused single volume game (or many such games) might raise the awareness of GURPS in general.
DreadDomain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld