Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #31
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: High/Ultra-Tech Versions of Low-Tech Armor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I can't imagine any sane fighter trying a -8 attack except to a downed foe. It's a coup de grace type move, in my opinion.
I saw it a lot in my last DF game (or even worse like the Scout shooting eyes with two arrows at range pretty regularly). The swashbuckler in particular often targeted chinks in order to get anything through DR. With skill 24 a -8 still gives you an effective skill of 16; that doesn't even affect your crit chance!
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 05:24 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I saw it a lot in my last DF game (or even worse like the Scout shooting eyes with two arrows at range pretty regularly). The swashbuckler in particular often targeted chinks in order to get anything through DR. With skill 24 a -8 still gives you an effective skill of 16; that doesn't even affect your crit chance!
Skills that high end up making it less Low-Tech and more Fantasy-Tech. While often similar, I don't think armor rules for one always match armor rules for the other.
Bare eyes are -9 with no armor, and auto-end any fight with anything remotely fleshy. It seems like it would be a very narrow set of circumstances where a player let alone PC would number crunch for optimal results in that -1 difference.
I'm not arguing that those times don't exist, of course. This being gurps, all sorts of games are possible and potentially fun.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #33
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Skills that high end up making it less Low-Tech and more Fantasy-Tech.
Skill enough to stab someone in the armpit, definitely isn't unrealistic, as this does really happen (maybe mostly as a Telegraphic and/or All-Out Attack, but still it happens).
Quote:
Bare eyes are -9 with no armor, and auto-end any fight with anything remotely fleshy. It seems like it would be a very narrow set of circumstances where a player let alone PC would number crunch for optimal results in that -1 difference.
I'm not arguing that those times don't exist, of course. This being gurps, all sorts of games are possible and potentially fun.
The situation where a visor provides DR to the eyes. Targeting chinks in torso armor (-8) is easier than targeting gaps in eye armor (-10); -2 is significant enough to make a difference.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-12-2016 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:34 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Why wouldn't the sides be -8 to hit?
Because the general scaling of to hit modifiers is based on the size of the area, and the sides are most clearly larger than, say, the throat (-5).
Old 10-12-2016, 05:40 PM   #35
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Because the general scaling of to hit modifiers is based on the size of the area, and the sides are most clearly larger than, say, the throat (-5).
They also take into account positioning, mobility and other factors. Besides -5 is the entire neck (which includes the area protected by a gorget, so the upper sternum too); a strip on the sides isn't less area than the neck.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:42 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Skill enough to stab someone in the armpit, definitely isn't unrealistic, as this does really happen (maybe mostly as a Telegraphic and/or All-Out Attack, but still it happens).

The situation where a visor provides DR to the eyes. Targeting chinks in torso armor (-8) is easier than targeting chinks in eye armor (-11); -4 is significant enough to make a difference.
Which is good reason to say that armpits should be targeted at far better than -8. Should we assume waiting till arm is raised drastically improves the penalty?
Where is chinks in eye armor listed? Great helms with slits for narrow field of view is -10.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #37
Anthony

Quote:
They also take into account positioning, mobility and other factors. Besides -5 is the entire neck (which includes the area protected by a gorget, so the upper sternum too); a strip on the sides isn't less area than the neck.
Unfortunately they didn't show a map, but I got the impression that the thin area was quite a bit more than a strip.
Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 PM   #38
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Which is good reason to say that armpits should be targeted at far better than -8. Should we assume waiting till arm is raised drastically improves the penalty?
Presumably waiting for the opening is part of the reason for the penalty...
Quote:
Where is chinks in eye armor listed? Great helms with slits for narrow field of view is -10.
You're correct. I misremembered (was it -11 in 3e?)
Old 10-12-2016, 05:56 PM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Unfortunately they didn't show a map, but I got the impression that the thin area was quite a bit more than a strip.
Well, I'm slightly overweight, and my sides are still only a couple of inches (~2.4 it seems) wide. Since that's going to be split between the two halves of the corslet (which overlap significantly in that area) the actual area does seem like a strip to me (less than an inch where there's no overlap).
Old 10-12-2016, 06:25 PM   #40
Anthony

Quote:
Well, I'm slightly overweight, and my sides are still only a couple of inches (~2.4 it seems) wide.
Depends a lot on what 'sides' means. It could be anywhere from a 2" strip to about an 8" strip. That's why a map would be nice. However, other thin areas included "Upper area between arm and neck (right side) - .035-.050" and "Center near the waist - mostly .040 - .050".

Tags
armor, armour