Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-07-2019, 11:39 PM   #1
middlearthenthusiast

Default Do you prefer Melee to MTM?

As a standalone combat game, do you prefer Melee or Man to Man? I've only played the latter and want to skin me a good LOTR combat game.
middlearthenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Do you prefer Melee to MTM?

I prefer MTM (i.e. the first edition of GURPS combat, which is very much like all later versions of GURPS combat other than a few tweaks, and the absence of hundreds of pages of non-medieval-combat stuff).

However, I have many years of experience playing TFT combat. I would tend to recommend new players start with TFT, since it's so easy to learn. And some players don't want any more complexity that Melee.

(And really, I prefer my own favorite mix of GURPS 3e/4e expanded & optional rules plus house rules. ;-) But really most of the rules from MTM are the same. )
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #3
Stormcro

Default Re: Do you prefer Melee to MTM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by middlearthenthusiast View Post
As a standalone combat game, do you prefer Melee or Man to Man? I've only played the latter and want to skin me a good LOTR combat game.
I love Melee I have MTM and - well even GURPS books but Melee has started it all for me a LONG time ago, 1978 and hauled it everywhere I went back in the day. you can tack scenarios onto either combat system, but Melee will give you that simple but very tactile combat. word of warning - Hobbits er I mean ( clears throat ** ) I mean Halflings are not very powerful in the system, but you can figure out some sort of buff for them. and getting back to Melee it's a great big sandbox for all sorts of battles, and you can add Wizard into it so you can play Gandalf vs. the Witch King or Saruman etc. so Give Melee a go. I'd recommend the Pocket Box ( if you don't have the games Melee and Wizard ) I've taught my kids to play Melee when they were old enough to understand. My daughter is 9 and she likes the Pixar Movie Brave, so we've made up a scenario based on the main characters of that. my son is 23 years of age and is a dedicated GURPS player but with Melee it's more than capable -you can always move onto Advanced or MTM or GURPS a bit later if your battles need a bit more spice.
Stormcro is offline   Reply With Quote