Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #11
Mack_JB

Default Re: What to do with INF

I dug through all my old junk. Mechwarrior "SRM Team" has three figures just slightly taller than the SJG INF, so maybe those will be my HWT if they never get an actual release.
Mack_JB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #12
ColBosch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack_JB View Post
I dug through all my old junk. Mechwarrior "SRM Team" has three figures just slightly taller than the SJG INF, so maybe those will be my HWT if they never get an actual release.
I think I have some of those. MechWarrior: Dark Age/Age of Destruction also had some tiny stand-alone heavy weapons. A couple of examples:

http://www.knight-ware.com/cmg/mechw...r/%20%207.html
http://www.knight-ware.com/cmg/mechw...r/%20%206.html
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:34 AM   #13
ColBosch

Here's what I ended up doing with my INF. I have two copies of Set 1 that I'm currently painting. I glued one full set of infantry three to a base. The second set, I glued two to a base - filling the empty slots with putty - and put the remainder on #8 washers, one to a base. This gives me a total of 42 models: fourteen 3/1, fourteen 2/1, and fourteen 1/1.

I spent most of this evening painting them. Two days ago I washed their sprues, clipped the bits connecting their helmets away, and gave them a nice, even spray coat of Army Painter's Desert Yellow. On Saturday I gave all the figures a brushed-on wash of Games Workshop's Agrax Earthshade.

Today I gave them two drybrush coats: one pure AP Desert Yellow, the second 1/2 Desert Yellow and 1/2 Apple Barrel Matte White. Once that dried, I painted their guns with Apple Barrel Pewter Grey, then washed those areas with Army Painter Strong Tone (from the bottle, not the big can). I painted the 3/1 and 2/1 bases with Apple Barrel Matte Black and glued the figures in place. The 3/1 and 2/1 stands were based with Army Painter Grass Green Flock.

Tomorrow (well, okay, later today - it is 2:30 AM here) I'll paint the 1/1 bases black and flock them to finish up all my infantry. With them out of the way, I should be able to power through the armor and Ogres using a similar technique.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 AM   #14
brettd

You can put stuff on the base which isn't infantry. You can, for example, put a little small rock at the back of the base. This can indicate stuff, like the type of infantry (Marines,etc...). You can use your imagination and find something that looks like engineering equipment (maybe a small round cylinder painted silver) and place it next to the Engineers. You can put different flocking on the bases (maybe a little water on the Marine's base) to differentiate them.

BTW,those infantry figures look *awfully* breakable. is this a problem or am I worrying about nothing? Is there some way to strengthen them, like coating them in some kid of transparent flexible stuff or undercoating them with something tough? I routinely use an under-sheath of wood glue on 15mm's (dries slightly flexible but strong), but not sure it would be possible on these figs without obscuring detail.
brettd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM   #15
Mack_JB

The laser cut discs I ordered from eBay just arrived. A small baggie, but 300 discs, each perfectly cut to 3/4" diameter. I'll glue up some 3/1, 2/1, and 1/1 later and put pics over on BGG. One note, to save cutting costs and to insure they stay pretty, they left the paper backing on the plexiglas. Which means each one has to be peeled front and back. On second thought, maybe leaving the brown Kraft Paper backing would give some definition. Another experiment then.

I won't spam the board, but if anyone wants to know the vendor, PM me and I'll send you the link.

Article uploaded:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/27491701#27491701

Last edited by Mack_JB; 11-20-2017 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
Galfridus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
Here's what I ended up doing with my INF. I have two copies of Set 1 that I'm currently painting. I glued one full set of infantry three to a base. The second set, I glued two to a base - filling the empty slots with putty - and put the remainder on #8 washers, one to a base. This gives me a total of 42 models: fourteen 3/1, fourteen 2/1, and fourteen 1/1.
This seems like a great solution...I'd love to be able to get an extra set of bases so you can do this and keep the bases consistent!
Galfridus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #17
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galfridus View Post
This seems like a great solution...I'd love to be able to get an extra set of bases so you can do this and keep the bases consistent!
Since I'm not using any of my stock bases, I'd be willing to trade them off to anyone that wants them. I'll have five sets of blue, two red, five green, and one GitD available once everything is de-sprued.

[someone here took me up on the offer, all the SJG bases are gone]

Last edited by Mack_JB; 12-01-2017 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:51 AM   #18
CON_Troll

Mack_JB, you are a genius. Thank you for sharing that BGG post with us.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #19
Mack_JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Mack_JB, you are a genius. Thank you for sharing that BGG post with us.
Thank you! But in keeping with where we are talking about this, I'll accept sub-genius ...
Old 12-01-2017, 01:10 PM   #20
TheAmishStig

For the guys who are doing the 'permanent attachment / extra bases for making change' thing: What led you to decide on the breakdown you did?

I see Mack_JB's at 9-5-5, ColBosch is at 7-7-7...I'm trying to get a feel for what to do with my own figures, but don't have decades of gleefully squishing INF beneath my treads to really have a feel for what makes a good breakdown...how many 3/1s is too many compared to the rest of the units in a Set 1, how many to realistically keep on hand for making change, etc...so I figured I'd try to pick the community's collective brains.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote