Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
David Johnston2

Default Re: [Infinite Worlds] What is the Russian Mafia stealing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't know about that. Modern society's obsession with gold seems pretty arbitrary to me. It's just a shiny rare metal with virtually no use.
I could talk about how it is enormously ductile, conductive and corrosion resistant but that's beside the point which is that if you look at the vast majority of worlds discovered by Homeline, they are in fact worlds which have the same "arbitrary" response to gold...if not more.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Which while weird is expected for close parallels.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
David Johnston2

Quote:
I'm not sure what you have in mind as remote parallels. Gold has been valued for thousands of years.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #14
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Still doesn't stop the fact that Gold is *useful*. As Roguebfl pointed out, it has great qualities for making electronics, as well. I left that out, on purpose, because for the majority of human history, electronics haven't been around. But gold is still an extremely useful element, and that's not arbitrary. Gold is useful because it is:
1) Rare. This means you can control the influx of gold into an economy. Useful when you are basing your currency. There have been times when Gold has been devalued by unexpected sources(e.g. Mansu Musa's Hajj), but in general, you know that gold isn't something people can fake easily.
2) Durable. While gold isn't hard(like iron), it also doesn't degrade. Gold left in a dirt hole for a thousand years won't degrade into useless crap(like iron), it will still be gold. Solid, awesome, gold. This is also why it's used in currency: your 96% gold coins arn't going to change in composition, even if you drop them in seas, bury them in offal or burn them. They will still be gold.
3) Workable. The ductility of gold is nice when you are attempting to create works of art. I'd rather work with gold than iron for making delicate scenic votives. This also comes back to the durability thing: gold artifacts are going to retain their shape for a very long time, while thin worked iron/steel(and for a long time, Steel was probably more valuable than gold) will rust away over time.

Gold is good.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

I guess it's my lack of viewing aesthetics as something that could be worth THAT much. Pretty should not be enough to make something worth more than things with actual use like food, comfort items, etc.
(Naturally, I chose an artist as a life mate, so the universe is made of irony.)

It's minor use in electronics is only for TL 7 plus, which most world jumpers might want to avoid rather than plunder.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Daeglan

Books. They could be books on "Demons" IE other infinite worlders etc. Or spells etc.
Daeglan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #17
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
It's minor use in electronics is only for TL 7 plus, which most world jumpers might want to avoid rather than plunder.
Minor? Solid State probably could not work without it.

And Does Not tarnish is a huge value , form a non debased currency though gold wash presenting armor from rusting, very useful near salt water. There a Reson why cultural raging from Babylon, though Egypt though Inca indeterminately valued it. This is Not a modern observational, it be with humans since before we started recording history.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:18 AM   #18
Flyndaran
Untagged

Gold was too valuable to use in currency most of the time. Silver was used for that I believe.

Gold's minor use in electronics is because it doesn't take that much gold. I could be wrong, but what computers need it in terms of ounces rather than grams?
Old 10-02-2011, 10:30 AM   #19
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Quote:
Gold was too valuable to use in currency most of the time. Silver was used for that I believe.
Gold was used for BIG transactions. Silver was used day to day by most people(Well, ok, BARTER was used day to day...), but some things were paid in gold, such as soldiers(a gold piece a day was the general going rate).

Quote:
Gold's minor use in electronics is because it doesn't take that much gold. I could be wrong, but what computers need it in terms of ounces rather than grams?
Yeah, but without it, you're screwed.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
When those Russian mafiosi decide to go play "Czar" and loot temples, what exactly are they stealing?
Why steal? It's easier in the long run to import stuff that you can acquire legally at reasonably low cost somewhere else, but which happens to be illegal, yet desirable, and thus expensive, somewhere else. Which, since it can't be all that bulky, tends to imply drugs. Boring, but plausible.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
economics, infinite worlds