Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-24-2020, 06:58 AM   #11
Tyneras

Default Re: [Spaceships] Area of a cabin

I live in an actual cabin that is about 4.6m x 4.6m, about 21m^2. It contains kitchen, bathroom, shower, bed, desk and shelves for my stuff. I consider this to be comfortable for 1 person, very cramped for 2 people, you better really like them.

Growing up, I lived in a 880 sqft (81 m^2) house intended for a family of 4, which was fairly standard for a long time. So 20 m^2 per inhabitant sounds plenty comfortable.

Last edited by Tyneras; 09-24-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Tyneras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #12
bocephus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post
I live in an actual cabin that is about 4.6m x 4.6m, about 21m^2. It contains kitchen, bathroom, shower, bed, desk and shelves for my stuff. I consider this to be comfortable for 1 person, very cramped for 2 people, you better really like them.

Growing up, I lived in a 880 sqft (81 m^2) house intended for a family of 4, which was fairly standard for a long time. So 20 m^2 per inhabitant sounds plenty comfortable.
Especially considering you wouldnt need to duplicate sanitary and food prep facilities (assuming that wouldnt be common area).

Consider something like the ship in Firefly. The cabins were more like maybe 9m^2? but there was a common kitchen dining area and "fold out toilets".

In the army I lived with another person in a little smaller than a 25m^2 room, with a short hallway lined with built in lockers and a bathroom/shower. We had a hotplate and a fridge/freezer (small normal one, not the minibar hotel kind), couch, chair, "entertainment center" with a TV Stereo, and a desk and 2 twin "loft beds". It was a little tight for two, but luxury for one or for a couple that's sharing a sleep space.
bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyneras View Post

I'm away from books atm, but would an option be hot-bunking? One person working, the other sleeping?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by talonthehand View Post
I'm away from books atm, but would an option be hot-bunking? One person working, the other sleeping?
It's an option, but probably not a good option unless for some reason you're very volume constrained (which is the case for submarines, but usually not for spacecraft).
Old 09-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #15
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's an option, but probably not a good option unless for some reason you're very volume constrained (which is the case for submarines, but usually not for spacecraft).
In the context of GURPS Spaceships specifically, it gets complicated because part of the volume of a "cabin" is a slice of life-support machinery.
RogerBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 04:42 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
In the context of GURPS Spaceships specifically, it gets complicated because part of the volume of a "cabin" is a slice of life-support machinery.
More importantly, part of the mass of a cabin is a life support slice. The mass/volume distinction is also why hotbunking is marginal -- the actual mass of adding volume is not that high (mostly determined by radiation shielding mass).
Old 09-25-2020, 05:17 PM   #17
AlexanderHowl

Cabins have very little inherent radiation protection by RAW. Another reason to have armor is to have a hull that provides some radiation protection after the fuel tanks are empty.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:30 PM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Cabins have very little inherent radiation protection by RAW.
Yes, but mass of radiation shielding is one of the few situations in which the actual size (as opposed to mass) of a spaceship matters (the other being armor).
Old 09-25-2020, 08:21 PM   #19
Pectus Solentis

By the way, when all Habitats in a system of SM+8 are setted as a Bunkroom, then 24 people use this system together, and area of a system of SM+8 is 200m^2 when thinking about Open Space.
Even that is not comfortable since Bunkrooms are comfortless by its definition, so I think (again) assuming 100 people congregate in an Open Space Area RAW is ridiculous. While there is cramped only by people when even there is no facility, then which facility can be installed in the cramped-by-only-people area?

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-25-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:40 PM   #20
Tyneras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
By the way, when all Habitats in a system of SM+8 are setted as a Bunkroom, then 24 people use this system together, and area of a system of SM+8 is 200m^2 when thinking about Open Space.
Even that is not comfortable since Bunkrooms are comfortless by its definition, so I think (again) assuming 100 people congregate in an Open Space Area RAW is ridiculous. While there is cramped only by people when even there is no facility, then which facility can be installed in the cramped-by-only-people area?
100 people over 200m^2 is a fairly spread out crowd. When I was in the Navy we had around 150 people packed into a space far smaller than 200m^2, maybe half that. The trick is people don't hang out there, they go there to sleep and shower and are otherwise doing their job or socializing. Just eyeballing you could pack around 24 bunks into my 21m^2 cabin if you took out the bathroom and kitchen area. So the bunkroom in Spaceships as described is quite a bit roomier than what I personally experienced, must be officer quarters.