Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Pectus Solentis

Default [Spaceships] Questions for Open Space

Quote:
This system is a pressurized hall or other large, open space. It contains one or more open areas such as an auditorium, farm, garden, pool, theater, or zoo with room for up to 100 people to congregate. Multiple open spaces may be combined to create larger areas.
Twenty areas are equal to an acre of land (a football- field sized area).
Open spaces used as gardens or farms may provide food requirements for the vessel’s occupants. One open space system is sufficient for the entire vessel; excess provide a surplus.
The Open Space table shows the number of areas per system.
As GURPS Spaceship 1, p19 says.

Quote:
Luxury-Class: Passengers expect their own luxury cabin. The spacecraft must have at least one attendant per two luxury passengers, at least one establishment (bar, gym, shop, etc.) per 10 luxury cabins, and at least one open space. Luxury passengers pay triple ticket price.
As GURPS Spaceship 2, p43 says.

My question is below.

Quote:
Twenty areas are equal to an acre of land.
As GURPS Spaceship 1, p19 says. so, 1 Open Space Area is equal to 0.05 acre.
I think there will be crowded as 100 people congregate in mere 0.05 acre of land. (I have 1 Open Space Area - not 1 Open Space System - of Garden in my SM+13 mothership of which capacity is 3950 people.)
Is "room for up to 100 people to congregate" miswrited? or do I have to be flexible to assign Open Spaces' capacity? I think auditorium, farm, garden, pool, theater, or zoo... that is able to be placed in Open Space Areas will not have same capacity.

Quote:
The spacecraft must have (...) at least one open space.
As GURPS Spaceship 2, p43 says.
Does it mean Luxury-Class passengers need 1 Open Space Area per person? or 1 Open Space Area for ALL of Luxury-Class passengers is sufficient?

Quote:
One open space system (used as gardens or farms) is sufficient for the entire vessel; excess provide a surplus.
As GURPS Spaceship 1, p19 says.
But there is no rule for which amount of farmland yield which amount of foods.
3-1. Will it be sufficient when even 1 Open Space farmland serves for 19 Habitat systems full of Bunkroom? I'm asking an extreme case, because there is no rule for that.
3-2. Begin at SM+8, number of Habitat rooms is increased for 6, 20, 60, 200... patterns but number of Open Space areas is increased for 1, 2, 5, 10... patterns. I think this difference occurs because number of Habitat rooms is increased at 3-dimentional rate and number of Open Space areas is increased at 2-dimentional rate.
But what if making Open Space Area to be multi-floored? Then number of Open Space Area will be increased at 3-dimentional rate as number of Habitat rooms do. Is it plausible?
3-3. How will it be when introducing supply vessel which supplies foodstuffs for other vessels? Knowing which amount of surplus will be made in these vessel will solve this question.
Question 3-2 makes question 3-3. As the number of these systems increase at the different rates, this question "How will the ratio between supply and consume of foodstuffs go? The ratio will not be still when the SM of spacecraft go bigger." is made.

Sorry for my poor English... I wonder if I wrote this long article in a good grammar and I expressed my questions properly.

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-22-2020 at 05:04 AM. Reason: grammar correction
Pectus Solentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: [Spaceships] Questions for Open Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pectus Solentis View Post
I think there will be crowded as 100 people congregate in mere 0.05 acre of land.
An acre is 43,560 square feet. 0.05 acres is therefore 2,178 square feet, which comes out to 21.78 square feet per person. That's an area of 3 foot by 7 foot or a circle with a five foot diameter around you - enough to lay down and sprawl out, or if standing you could stretch your arms out and just be able to touch fingertips with the nearest person to you. On a GURPS combat map that's one person per three hexes.

So at maximum occupancy it'll be a little crowded, but there are many crowds that are more densely packed than that.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Balor Patch

Quote:
2. As GURPS Spaceship 2, p43 says. Does it mean Luxury-Class passengers need 1 Open Space Area per person? or 1 Open Space Area for ALL of Luxury-Class passengers is sufficient?
The group of luxury cabins must have a single communal space.
Balor Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:23 AM   #4
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balor Patch View Post
The group of luxury cabins must have a single communal space.
Then you mean the latter is right?
Old 09-22-2020, 07:26 AM   #5
Rupert

Quote:
Does it mean Luxury-Class passengers need 1 Open Space Area per person? or 1 Open Space Area for ALL of Luxury-Class passengers is sufficient?
I don't think it's intended to mean one per luxury passenger. It reads as one space no matter how many luxury passengers.

That doesn't make sense in extreme cases, so I would rule that you'd need at least one space per 100 luxury passengers, with more spaces than the minimum being desirable. This is enough that they can all fit in if they feel the need.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 07:49 AM   #6
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
I don't think it's intended to mean one per luxury passenger. It reads as one space no matter how many luxury passengers.

That doesn't make sense in extreme cases, so I would rule that you'd need at least one space per 100 luxury passengers, with more spaces than the minimum being desirable. This is enough that they can all fit in if they feel the need.
Well. 1 Open Space Area per 100 Luxury Class Passenger seems reasonable.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #7
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
An acre is 43,560 square feet. 0.05 acres is therefore 2,178 square feet, which comes out to 21.78 square feet per person. That's an area of 3 foot by 7 foot or a circle with a five foot diameter around you - enough to lay down and sprawl out, or if standing you could stretch your arms out and just be able to touch fingertips with the nearest person to you. On a GURPS combat map that's one person per three hexes.

So at maximum occupancy it'll be a little crowded, but there are many crowds that are more densely packed than that.
In metric system, 0.05 acre is approximately 200m^2. So when 100 people gather in an Open Space Area then the people will have only 2m^2 per person. It is so damnly cramped.
And for gardens or zoos, it needs the room for vegetations or animals itself... isn't it?

Last edited by Pectus Solentis; 09-22-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Open Spaces have a projected area of 0.05 acre per area. Depending on the design, this might represent anything from gardens to multi-story structures. For example, a stadium could have tiers of seats vertically stacked, with a large open area for the event.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #9
Rupert

Quote:
In metric system, 0.05 acre is approximately 200m^2. So when 100 people gather in an Open Space Area then the people will have only 2m^2 per person. It is so damnly cramped.
It's a crowded beach, or a 1/2 to 2/3rds full theatre. So it's both cramped and relatively spacious, depending on what it's being used for.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 PM   #10
Pectus Solentis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
It's a crowded beach, or a 1/2 to 2/3rds full theatre. So it's both cramped and relatively spacious, depending on what it's being used for.
But what if there are gardens or zoos? I think that, for gardens or zoos, it needs the room for vegetations or animals itself. Should they have a lower occupancy than concerts and theaters, etc... have?