Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-18-2019, 11:17 PM   #1
Sinanju

Default Thrown & Missile Weapon Talents

So there is a Thrown Weapons talent that gives +2 DX for thrown weapons. There's also a Missile Weapons talent that gives +1 to +3 DX (if bought more than once) to missile weapons.

Stones are listed on the missile weapons chart. So can you use Missile Weapons talent with thrown stones? And if so, do the talents stack? My gut reaction is: no, they don't stack--but you could buy Missile Weapons talent for thrown weapons, assuming you had strength enough that it wasn't pointless.

I want to simulate Fezzik's (from The Princess Bride) ability to throw stones with great accuracy (and power, given that he's a [small] giant).
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:47 PM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: Thrown & Missile Weapon Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
So there is a Thrown Weapons talent that gives +2 DX for thrown weapons. There's also a Missile Weapons talent that gives +1 to +3 DX (if bought more than once) to missile weapons.

Stones are listed on the missile weapons chart. So can you use Missile Weapons talent with thrown stones? And if so, do the talents stack? My gut reaction is: no, they don't stack--but you could buy Missile Weapons talent for thrown weapons, assuming you had strength enough that it wasn't pointless.

I want to simulate Fezzik's (from The Princess Bride) ability to throw stones with great accuracy (and power, given that he's a [small] giant).
No, there is no way to stack the DX bonuses from Thrown Weapons on top of the DX bonuses from Missile Weapons.

Stones are thrown weapons, not missile weapons. At best, stones can be used as ammunition for slings, which are missile weapons.

And Missile Weapons cannot be bought "for stones", both because stones aren't missile weapons, and because Missile Weapons is not bought separately for different weapons. Missile Weapons works for all missile weapons the figure has the talent for, but again, rocks aren't missile weapons, and also there is no basic weapon talent for them.

Thrown Weapons is also not a basic weapon talent - it's a specialized level of ability with thrown weapons.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
randiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinanju View Post
I agree that "stones" are listed under missile weapons based on their use as ammunition for a sling.

Throwing a stone is something different. And you want a large creature with great strength throwing a very large stone (boulder?). You might look to at how club damage is related to strength, and build off that? If a target can see the throw coming, there might be a roll to dodge it as well as a hit roll.
randiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
larsdangly

I interpret the throne stone as one of several 'common weapons' that everyone automatically knows how to use at normal adj.DX, without a talent (the others being the club and unarmed attacks). Thrown Weapons talent should provide a bonus to hit with a thrown stone; missile weapons talent should not. They certainly should not stack (it seems to be a general principle that you shouldn't stack benefits of talents unless it explicitly says you can).
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote