Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 PM   #21
tshiggins

Default Re: Crouching Kitten Hidden Tomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voidstar
Hmm... I have a cat I'd like to stat but I'm assuming this is a bad temper trait.

(SNIP)
Nope. Berzerk, with a high control roll. Usually, he makes the roll to not go Berzerk. But, sometimes, he fails.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #22
Tommi_Kovala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Unfortunately you can't train cats. So no Trained by a Master.
They just train differently. TbaM might be good for a runt born into a litter of big toms. Since cats tussle all the time, it'd be fighting daily in a bigger weight class. That's bound to be an advantage if it ever has to pin a cat its own size.
Tommi_Kovala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #23
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins
Nope. Berzerk, with a high control roll. Usually, he makes the roll to not go Berzerk. But, sometimes, he fails.
It also sounds as if Voidstar's cat has the Kiai skill.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:06 PM   #24
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

I once had a stray kitten I took in named.. Precious. She was anything but. A short-hair bleu-tipped persian, and she terrorized people. When I and LynGrey were kids, he used to wear flip-flops. My wonderful precious would pounce those things and take quarter sized chunks out.

She routinely brought home live(but crippled) prey for us. Mice, birds, you name it. She once snatched up some poor fella's prize fighting cock.

Precious wasn't a nice temperd cat. I could walk past her aat any moment and reciever a smack. And it seems like she gauged her attacks, because sometimes it was a paw or other times it was the tips of the claws extended, but the worst was when the claws came all the way out.

Cat's definitely have some kinda fighting skill. There's no fighter today who can snatch up a cat without being flayed.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm

Cat's definitely have some kinda fighting skill. There's no fighter today who can snatch up a cat without being flayed.
Their extra vertebrae when compared to our spines, and looser ligaments result in a very flexible ball of fur and claws when they feel the need to go all out. Also simple physics make it possible for small animals to move lighter shorter limbs in less time than our long bulky ones. Cats aren't super, they just do what other animals do but look cool while doing it.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 02:35 AM   #26
Flyndaran
Untagged

We also had a "special" tiny cat named Dipstick that could take a full claws retracted thump by an irritated 15 pound rock of muscle. Dippy would sway a bit and decide that seeing stars was just part of the game. Poor giant Cerbee had to learn that simply ignoring the ninny was the most effective way to sleep in peace.
He was the only cat I ever saw that could take down a squirrel even if it looked difficult for the little twerp to carry.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #27
Anders

As Kromm says, there are lot of individual cat ryuha. For instance, if you look at this training video, you'll see a beutiful example of Sumo Wrestling Springing Attack at 0:38-0:40. There's also plenty of grappling going on - I stand by my decision to give them Wrestling.

I gave them Brawling because I wanted them to get the damage bonus to biting damage and it didn't feel right to recquire little Kitty to spend 200 hours learning how to use his teeth...

Intimidation is essential to catfights. That's what they do during the "kitty staredown" and the "scream your guts out" phases that precede actual combat. If you can scare your opponent before the fight, why waste energy fighting him?

For an example of streetfighting, look at this. Note that they try to Intimidate each other before the fighting. Note also that they both use the Combination (Wrestling grapple + Kick TA (Vitals)) - that's what causes the furball.

Last edited by Anders; 06-04-2008 at 04:00 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:08 AM   #28
Icelander

I agree that hunting cats use Wrestling and Brawling, but common housecats are lucky if they know Brawling Art. Sumo Wrestling, however, appears to be nearly universal, in that it covers the shoves that one often sees, as well as slams and sweeps.

Feral street cats may bite and claw with some efficiency, but cuddly house cats appear to be mostly playing and should therefore not strike for damage. Shove appears to describe that sort of attack well.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #29
Anders

Consider this the "-jutsu" form. The -do form will have to wait.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #30
carllarson

Somewhere, there's a cat grinning at this.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat cats, paw-fu