Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #1
Anders

Default Crouching Kitten Hidden Tomcat

A Martial Arts Style for cats:

Cat fights usually begin with a very long period of intimidation - there's little point in fighting if you don't have to. They use Evaluate extensively, often followed by a quick Defensive Attack or a Feint. A few paw swipes and the fight is over! Cats prefer to retreat rather than to risk serious damage.

Note that this is not intended to reflect their hunting style. For that, I would add Choke Hold and Neck Snap with a perk to let them grapple their opponent with their teeth.

Paw-Fu (6 points)
Skills: Acrobatics, Brawling, Intimidate, Sumo Wrestling, Wrestling
Techniques: Acrobatic Stand, Attack from Above, Breakfall, Combination (Wrestling Grapple/Torso + Brawling Kick/Torso), Counterattack, Evade, Eye-Rake, Ground Fighting, Low Fighting, Sweep (Sumo Wrestling), TA (Brawling Kick/Torso)
Cinematic Skills: Blind-Fighting, Flying Leap, Kiai, Light Walk, Lizard Climb, Mental Strength
Cinematic Techniques: Flying Jump Kick, Roll with Blow, Springing Attack (Karate), Springing Attack (Sumo Wrestling), Timed Defense
Perks: Ground Guard, Rapid Retraction
Optional Traits
Advantages: Patron (human), Ally (other cats), Danger Sense
Disadvantages: Enemy (dog), Enemy (other cats), Secret (name)
Skills: Boxing, Climbing, Judo, Jumping, Karate, Panhandling, Sports versions of the combat skills
Cinematic Skills: Immovable Stance*
*This traits is for cat who enjoy their food...

Edit: Added Sumo Wrestling and techniques to the skill list. Shame on you all for not noticing that you can't target the vitals with a cutting attack.

Last edited by Anders; 06-05-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Anders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:43 AM   #2
HuManBing
Banned

Default Re: Crouching Kitten Hidden Tomcat

This is excellent! Maybe good for fantasy games too where the player has a cat familiar?
HuManBing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #3
Anders

Unfortunately you can't train cats. So no Trained by a Master.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Unfortunately you can't train cats. So no Trained by a Master.
Actually, you can, if they want to.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Icelander

I've seen little trained grappling from cats. They sweep and shove extensively, though, and their main attack seems to be a slam.

I'd substitude Sumo Wrestling for Wrestling.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
Brass Bricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander
I've seen little trained grappling from cats. They sweep and shove extensively, though, and their main attack seems to be a slam.

I'd substitute Sumo Wrestling for Wrestling.
Actually, I watched my 8yr old orange tomcat execute a pretty good impression of an ippon-seoinage throw on the younger of our two gray tomcats. The gray rushed the orange, who hooked his foreleg under the gray's armpit and tossed him into the wall.

Old age and treachery strike again...

Andrew Benton

https://sites.google.com/site/csbbonline/
Brass Bricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #7
ADAXL

Nice writeup, but i miss a few things:

Cats should have Karate, not Brawling. Brawling is a proletarian, good for dogs. Cats favor finesse. Cats should know Invisibility Art. Ever tried to find dear puss when she didn't want to be found? See?

The Shtick Perk should be common, eg. "Gets Out Of Any Scrap Looking Cool", "First Hits You And Then Gets You To Cuddle Him" or "Can Climb Onto Anything When You're Not Looking".
ADAXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:08 AM   #8
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass Bricks
Actually, I watched my 8yr old orange tomcat execute a pretty good impression of an ippon-seoinage throw on the younger of our two gray tomcats. The gray rushed the orange, who hooked his foreleg under the gray's armpit and tossed him into the wall.

Old age and treachery strike again...
In GURPS terms, though, isn't that a Trip, which can default to Sumo Wrestling?
Old 06-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander

I'd substitude Sumo Wrestling for Wrestling.
My dearly departed Cerberus once knocked down a full grown man braced for impact in a panic. He was freaky strong if less flexible than most kitties. Too bad he had anxiety/phobia problems like me, though I'm not afraid of mice and mice toys. :)
He also had a beautiful intimidating "gorrila walk" even though he never followed through.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Well, details will depend on the cat. :) I've had six cats since 1990. Breaking it down:

Striking

Only the old she-cat had the patience and technique to justify knowing any Hard skill. She would get Karate.

Two -- the big gray tom and the little tuxedo cat -- only ever batted other cats with front paws. They never bit, raked, dug, or used any other attacks that would suggest Brawling or Karate, at least not vs. cats . . . so, Boxing.

And the other three used everything -- teeth, head butts, all four paws -- in a way that could only be described as Brawling. Given that two were rescued ferals and one was a hulking brute, I think they'd want it to be called Brawling.

Grappling

Two -- again, the gray tom and little tuxedo cat -- didn't grapple at all. It was all boxing for them. They would have no grappling skills to speak of.

The two former ferals liked to bite and hold, then latch on with other limbs. I'd say that's Wrestling.

The hulking brute was definitely a Sumo Wrestling tom. His "grappling" was all shove and bluster.

And the old karate cat had good groundwork and could pitch the other cats around. Judo and Wrestling for her.

Other

Brute cat didn't have any special moves beyond slam-and-maul. However, he clearly rated more ST and HP; he was the housecat who had more hit dice than peasants in AD&D. And he might rate Immovable Stance and Push. At least, he knocked me over once, and I couldn't get him off the bed. Also, he had CH and probably rated Drunken Fighting (strictly speaking, Brain Damage Fighting).

Little tuxedo cat had Flying Leap, for sure. She could actually get from the floor to the top of a door, and once cleared a hallway lengthwise without touching down. Also, Lizard Climb . . . I once found her halfway up a wall, climbing.

Big gray tom is a wimp. However, he has serious fur for DR 1, so he's harder to hurt.

Old karate cat knew all kinds of moves, including Biting Mastery (Karate), Dual-Weapon Attack (Karate), Ground Guard, and Neck Control (Karate).

The two ferals both had various grappling moves like Wrench Arm (Teeth). The tom was tiny but strong -- Power Blow? The other is another CH kitty, and would have Drunken Fighting.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
combat cats, paw-fu