Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 AM   #1
dwightemarsh

Default Bang Skills vs raising IQ

Suppose you had a gadgeteer character in an IOU campaign, and you were going to advance him by 25 points. He has put 12 points into Science! and it will take him 12 more points to raise Science! by a level. It would take 20 points to raise IQ, but if you only raised IQ and not Will and Perception along with it, it would only be 10 points.

Now, it could be argued that by raising your IQ by 1 and not increasing your Perception and Will accordingly, that is not a 10 point advantage but a 20 point advantage and a -10 point disadvantage, and that disadvantage should count against your disadvantage limit. But a) I am not sure disadvantage limits apply after character creation, if you gain an enemy or secret or lose a limb after character creation, it just happens, it doesn't conflict with the disadvantage limit and b) I am not sure why increasing Intelligence independently from Perception and Will doesn't make sense.
dwightemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Bang Skills vs raising IQ

Ahh, the old IQ! is 10 points problem.

I have a few reasons why it won't work, but I should first say that buying IQ without PER and WILL is a big enough deal that I use a very common house rule that says Perception and Will start at 10, not at IQ, and IQ costs 20 points. This is most notably advocated on the myGurps site. I use this for all but the most combat oriented or template-centric games I run.

Now for reasons not to do the IQ without Per and Will (referred to as IQ!) for 10 points:

1) Wildcard skills are not mere bonus's to skills. They include wildcard points, which are almost as good as luck or destiny.

2) Gaining disadvantages in play is a little iffy. I wouldn't waive the disadvantage limit if I was using one.

3) Raising IQ and lowering Per and Will is a little munchkinish. The GM is within his rights to just say "No".

That said, its generally a valid build, a smart decision, and if you really want it fixed, use the rule I started off suggesting.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!

Last edited by ericthered; 10-23-2017 at 09:48 AM.
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Disadvantages gained in play just lower your point total without giving you extra points, so if you bought up IQ by one and then I guess suffered some brain damage to lower your Per and Will by one each it would still cost you 20 points, and just lower your total by 10.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I have a few reasons why it won't work, but I should first say that buying IQ without PER and WILL is a big enough deal that I use a very common house rule that says Perception and Will start at 10, not at 20, and IQ costs 20 points. This is most notably advocated on the myGurps site. I use this for all but the most combat oriented or template-centric games I run.
Ditto. Except I even do this in 'combat centric" games. The only one so far I've not is DF, because I didn't want to hassle with the templates.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Perception and Will start at 10, not at 20, and IQ costs 20 points.
And not at IQ? They normally don't start at 20...
Old 10-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
And not at IQ? They normally don't start at 20...
Start at 10, not at IQ. Good Catch. Fixed.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #7
Daigoro

Quote:
1) Wildcard skills are not mere bonus's to skills. They include wildcard points, which are almost as good as luck or destiny.
Note that this is introduced in the Power Ups: Wildcards book, not in the Basic Set, in case people were wondering.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Note that this is introduced in the Power Ups: Wildcards book, not in the Basic Set, in case people were wondering.
Introduced first in Monster Hunters 1: Champions for ultimate GURPS pedantry.
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
Phil Masters

Wildcard skills (and Talents) are most interesting when they encompass both DX-based and IQ-based skills.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 05:32 PM   #10
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightemarsh View Post
Suppose you had a gadgeteer character in an IOU campaign, and you were going to advance him by 25 points. He has put 12 points into Science! and it will take him 12 more points to raise Science! by a level. It would take 20 points to raise IQ, but if you only raised IQ and not Will and Perception along with it, it would only be 10 points.
And children that is why disadvantage limits are a thing.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote