Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
Nautilust

Default [Monster Hunter] Help With Character Generation, Part 2. The Player's Strike Back.

Hello, and thank you for your help in creating my character. I posted my character so far on our Obsidian Portal forum, and the other players were amazed by it. They had no idea you could do something like start out with one of the Templates and end up with a character like mine. They quickly asked me to help them make character's like mine. I took the job because i don't have a job or a life, and the other 2 players have jobs, and kids and stuff to deal with.

So exposition over, sort of, let's start with player #2. Player #2 has been playing an Occultist. She settled on this because the GM basically told the players they had to choose a template and stick with it because they are new to roleplaying. Whereas he told me to do what I wished because i've been gaming for years and know a little bit about the system.

Anyways what she really wanted was something between the Gifted Template and the Occultist. She wants to have the supernatural abilities of the Gifted Template from the Mysticism List all pertaining to spirits (Spirit Channeling, Spirit Communication 2, Spirit Empathy, Supernatural Sense 1 or 2, and of course Ghost Weapon for dealing with those pesky evil spirits.) With the occult knowledge and research skills of the Occultist. I told her I wasn't sure IF this was possible but I would see what I could do.

I'm not even sure how to approach this one. I'm basically trying to squeeze extra advantages into a Template that's built around skills.

Character Idea: She was born and raised in an Native American reservation, from an early age she was fascinated by the occult and tried her hardest to be trained as a Medicine Woman and was accepted as an apprentice. She was taught how to communicate with spirits and how to heal the sick of her tribe. Before she could officially become a Medicine Woman, an agency named The Knights of St. George reached their hand out to her. They offered her further training and knowledge of the occult in return for her service as an agent. She was trained for several years and moved from Chapter to Chapter before landing in Pennsylvania, where she met "Nautilust" (My Character). A new recruit, he showed alot of promise and they became fast friends. 2 years later they are ready for their first mission as Agents.

My first thought is to start out with the Occultist Template and Operative Lense (Ignoring buying Patron, we get that for basically free.)

That would be 60 points for Advantages, almost enough to buy everything she wants; and 16 points for Know Thy Enemy skills, about what she wants. She wants atleast 1 or 2 points in every Know Thy Enemy Category she would be happy with more. Then reduce DX and increase ST because she needs a 12 to wield the Ruger Super Redhawk without Penalty.

Last edited by Nautilust; 09-19-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Nautilust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 AM   #2
Nautilust

Default Re: [Monster Hunter] Help With Character Generation, Part 2. The Player's Strike Back

OK. So here's what I have come up with and it is a mess. I need help! Skills she should have that she doesn't? Skills she does have that she shouldn't? Any modifiers or limitations I could apply? Any Ideas for quirks? Things I did wrong? Things I did right? Etc. Etc.

Name: Nautilust
Race: Human

Attributes [136]
ST 12 [20]
DX 10
IQ 14 [80]
HT 12 [20]

HP 15 [6]
Will 14
Per 14
FP 12

Basic Lift 29
Damage 1d-1/1d+2

Basic Speed 6 [10]
Basic Move 6

Ground Move 6
Water Move 1

Social Background
TL: 8 [0]
Cultural Familiarities:
Languages:

Advantages [74]
MYS: Ghost Weapon [14]
MYS: Spirit Channeling [14]
MYS: Spirit Communication (2) [24]
MYS: Spirit Empathy [9]
MYS: Supernatural Sense (1) [8]
Mysticism Talent (1) [5]

Disadvantages [-50]
Bad Sight (Farsighted) (Glasses) [-10]
Curious (12 or less) [-5]
Discipline of Faith (Mysticism) [-10]
Sense of Duty (Humanity) [-15]
Xenophilia (12 or less) [-10]

Quirks [-3]
Always Curious About Occult Matters (Always Loses Self Control Roll for Curious when dealing with matters of the Occult) [-1]
Always Interested In Spirits (Always Fails Self Control Rolls for Xenophilia when dealing with Spirits) [-1]
Vow (Never Drink Alchohol) [-1]

Skills [49]
Archaeology IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Area Knowledge (Philadelphia) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Biology/TL8 (Earthlike) IQ/VH - IQ-3 11 [1]
Computer Operation/TL8 IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Diagnosis/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Esoteric Medicine Per/H - Per-2 12 [1]
Exorcism Will/H - Will-1 13 [1]
Expert Skill (Psionics) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
First Aid/TL8 (Human) IQ/E - IQ+0 14 [1]
Forensics/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Guns/TL8 (Pistol) DX/E - DX+2 12 [4]
Guns/TL8 (Shotgun) DX/E - DX+2 12 [3]
Hidden Lore (Angels) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Demons) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Lycanthropes) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Mummies) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Restless Undead) IQ/A - IQ+0 14 [2]
Hidden Lore (Sacred Places) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Hidden Lore (Vampires) IQ/A - IQ-1 13 [1]
Mathematics/TL8 (Applied) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Occultism IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
Physician/TL8 (Human) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Physics/TL8 (Paraphysics) IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]
Psychology (Human) IQ/H - IQ-1 13 [2]
Research/TL8 IQ/A - IQ+1 15 [4]
Surgery/TL8 (Human) IQ/VH - IQ-3 11 [1]
Thaumatology IQ/VH - IQ-3 11 [1]
Theology (Shamanic) IQ/H - IQ+1 15 [8]
Veterinary/TL8 IQ/H - IQ-2 12 [1]

Stats [136] Ads [74] Disads [-50] Quirks [-3] Skills [49] = Total [206]
Old 09-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: [Monster Hunter] Help With Character Generation, Part 2. The Player's Strike Back

Actually, I'd say this character is pretty decent. You've got the skills they need, it seems to me, and managed to fit the spirit-related powers in. I only have one real suggestion. There's a Talent in Power-Ups 3: Talents, called Occultist. It covers Alchemy, Anthropology, Archaeology, Exorcism, Hidden Lore, History, Linguistics, Literature, Occultism, Research, Ritual Magic, and Thaumatology. It costs 10 points/level, but it's adding to a lot of the skills she already has, and would add to several others she might want to pick up (Ritual Magic, notably!). I'd buy down the ST to 11, use the 10 points saved to buy a level in the Occultist Talent, reduce Research by 2 points (which will leave it at the same level as you have it now, after the Talent bonus), and spend 1 of those points on the Hand Cannon perk from Gun-Fu, which adds +1 to ST only for purposes of wielding guns.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Actually, I'd say this character is pretty decent. You've got the skills they need, it seems to me, and managed to fit the spirit-related powers in.
It's 6 points over.

My 'easy' suggestion? 2 more Quirks and taking Basic Speed down to 5.75 [5]. This frees up 1 point to be kept in reserve for either Impulse Buys or to buy that Speed back up!

Yeah, I know. I really do*. But it's A) easy, B) fast, and C) easily 'fixable' after one or two missions.

* It's not like she was really relying on her Dodge anyway.

Quote:
I only have one real suggestion. There's a Talent in Power-Ups 3: Talents, called Occultist. It covers Alchemy, Anthropology, Archaeology, Exorcism, Hidden Lore, History, Linguistics, Literature, Occultism, Research, Ritual Magic, and Thaumatology. It costs 10 points/level, but it's adding to a lot of the skills she already has, and would add to several others she might want to pick up (Ritual Magic, notably!). I'd buy down the ST to 11, use the 10 points saved to buy a level in the Occultist Talent, reduce Research by 2 points (which will leave it at the same level as you have it now, after the Talent bonus), and spend 1 of those points on the Hand Cannon perk from Gun-Fu, which adds +1 to ST only for purposes of wielding guns.
Overall not a bad suggestion.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Railstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's 6 points over.

My 'easy' suggestion? 2 more Quirks and taking Basic Speed down to 5.75 [5]. This frees up 1 point to be kept in reserve for either Impulse Buys or to buy that Speed back up!

Yeah, I know. I really do*. But it's A) easy, B) fast, and C) easily 'fixable' after one or two missions.

* It's not like she was really relying on her Dodge anyway.
Or take Basic Move down to 5 [-5], since Speed 5.75 would have that effect anyway, and she doesn't lose Dodge or Initiative.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:46 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
It's 6 points over.
Whoops, so it is. Sorry, missed that.

I definitely agree with taking two more quirks. Rather than buying Basic Speed down, though (Dodge is always good, in my opinion), I'd recommend doing as I suggested earlier and buying Research down 2 points (which nets you 1 if you end up buying that perk I suggested), and then buying Hidden Lore (Restless Undead) down by 1, and Occultism down by 2. That saves you the other 3 points, and if you buy the Occultist Talent as I suggested, still keeps you at the same skill levels you had anyway.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railstar View Post
Or take Basic Move down to 5 [-5], since Speed 5.75 would have that effect anyway, and she doesn't lose Dodge or Initiative.
That would put the character over the disad limit, though.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Nautilust

I did go over the point total of 200, but she has some experience so i just spilled into that.

A few things I think might be wrong with the character.

What's the point in dealing with spirits if you can't effectively talk to them, she should have atleast a few of the social skills.

No melee skills, so she's screwed if an enemy gets too close. Which she might be fine with, I don't think she see's her character as much of a fighter.

Wouldn't decreasing the number of Know Thy Enemy skills and increasing Occultism do about the same thing?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
Nautilust

Could use some quirk ideas for her character. I'm having trouble coming up with more than the 3 I came up with earlier.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:46 PM   #10
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilust View Post
Could use some quirk ideas for her character. I'm having trouble coming up with more than the 3 I came up with earlier.
Well, as evileyore suggested over in your other thread, another good way of creating quirks is to take disadvantages at extremely reduced levels. Pretty much anything with a self-control roll, for instance, can be a quirk if it's got an effective self-control of 18. So, for example, if she's a bit of a sucker for a sob story, but in most circumstances she maintains a good sense of who's likely to be honest about their needs, and tends to prioritize herself and her friends over random strangers, you could give her "Occasionally generous", effectively Charitable with a self-control of 18.

Another good quirk building block are trivial Reputations. If you'd have -1 to reactions from a very limited pool of people who are unlikely to come up often in the game, that's worth just -1 point. Her backstory basically has her abandoning the people she was training under to join the Knights of St. George. She could have a quirk like "People on her home reservation think she betrayed them", good for -1 to reactions when interacting with them.