Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2018, 11:49 AM   #1
Devil_Dante

Default learning new sorcery spells

Hope won't take too long:

IF my sorcerer wants to learn a new spell, and because sorcery spells are not skills, how it works??

By RAW, you can learn advantage by 200 h per point.
Should i consider those spells like advantages? In this way a normal spell (30-40 points) will need 6000-8000 hours. But sorcerers are supposed to be self teacher, so 12-16000 hours, even with 12 h per day are more than 1000 days, or 3+ years.
I suppose (and hope) that there is another solution. Vanilla magic will need far far far less time

P.S.: improving the spells you already know, from Thaumatology sorcery if i recal correctly, will cost you 1 day per CP or 2 if far from libraries or books...

thanks for answers
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: learning new sorcery spells

Don't forget to divide by 5 for new spells being alternate abilities.

And any spell that fits your theme and costs less than your sorcerous empowerment talent level can be cast as a cantrip for free.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
Devil_Dante

Are you sure you can consider a new spell an alternate ability?
Old 06-16-2018, 01:40 PM   #4
Diomedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil_Dante View Post
If you're using the Thaumatology: Sorcery rules, all of your spells are alternate abilities to your Sorcerous Empowerment.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
You pay full price only if you want to cast/maintain two (or more) spells.
Old 06-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post
If you're using the Thaumatology: Sorcery rules, all of your spells are alternate abilities to your Sorcerous Empowerment.
And in fact, one of main reasons that Sorcerous Empowerment is required to be of a certain level is simply to make sure that it's the most expensive ability, thus requiring full price, while all the spells are AAs at 1/5th price.

(If you had a really expensive spell, or a really low level of Sorcerous Empowerment, that spell would become the most expensive ability in the AA group, thus costing full price, while SE dropped to 1/5th, and so learning new spells might trigger some recalculation. Easier just to require one main ability to be the most expensive, which also -- and not coincidentally -- happens to suit the flavor of the whole system.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:19 PM   #7
Devil_Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes View Post

Wow really? I Red pretty well the book but didn't find it. Good to know, thanks. Where I can find it?

Anyway, the question I still: I have to consider learning a spell like learning an advantage?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:31 PM   #8
Diomedes

Quote:
Wow really? I Red pretty well the book but didn't find it. Good to know, thanks. Where I can find it?

Anyway, the question I still: I have to consider learning a spell like learning an advantage?
It’s on page 5, under Sorcerous Spells.

There isn’t really a set rule for “learning” advantages, since most of the time you can’t. So it’s really a matter of whatever rate the GM sets.
Diomedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:34 PM   #9
johndallman
Night Watchman

The time you have calculated, based on study at 200 hours/point, or twice that for self-teaching, is enough study time to grant you the character points for the spell, under the learning rules.

If you have earned character points by adventuring, you can spend those to buy or improve Sorcery spells. The rules for that on B.290-92 don't specify the amount of game time for that; different GMs tend to have varying opinions on the matter.

I'd let you improve a Sorcery spell immediately if you had been making use of it, or with a day's practice if you had not. Buying a new one depends on the metaphysics of the setting. If spells are a matter of inspiration, they might be learned in a day. If you can learn them from another sorcerer, a day per ten points of the basic cost seems reasonable. If they are a matter of study, and you want to devise a new one that's different from anything known, the invention rules might be required.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #10
Devil_Dante

Good to know.

I based my thoughts about the normal spells as skills, that can t be learnt because they have no default. So I supposed the same for sorcery. But it s a good point nonetheless