Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-04-2018, 11:31 AM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [Basic] Disadvantage of the Week: Colorblindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Fortunately he mostly stuck to solid colour dark suits but he kept buying ties...
So he had the Quirk "Wears 'unusual' ties"...

As a tie hater, I have to say, when forced to wear one I go straight for the worst possible fashion disaster I can. If I have to suffer, so does everyone else...
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:13 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Colourblindness is easily justification for the occasional -1 (or even -2) reaction penalty for being a fashion disaster. Fortunately he mostly stuck to solid colour dark suits but he kept buying ties...
I think I've been asked if I were colorblind a few times, because I'm male and like certain pinks. I haven't worn any in over a decade for the odd reason that my girlfriend was born despising the color.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
So he had the Quirk "Wears 'unusual' ties"...

As a tie hater, I have to say, when forced to wear one I go straight for the worst possible fashion disaster I can. If I have to suffer, so does everyone else...
Unusual ties could sometimes work as a perk to suggest individuality in a field of conformists. Approachable and unique probably isn't something easy to convey in certain subcultures.
Old 03-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #14
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Unusual ties could sometimes work as a perk to suggest individuality in a field of conformists. Approachable and unique probably isn't something easy to convey in certain subcultures.
Right as a Perk it would indicate that he chooses ties that standout in good ways or positively add identifiers without detracting from the culture, as it's a positive trait.

A Quirk would mean he might often chose poorly... and thus engender mild (maybe -1) Reaction penalty from people who take such expressions poorly.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Good point. It reminds me of The Birdcage how the colorful socks and nice bland suit made Nathan Lane's character somehow look more gay.

Or the issue with the plates. I now imagine someone being shocked that the Greek characters on their tie weren't playing leapfrog.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:12 AM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
A Quirk would mean he might often chose poorly... and thus engender mild (maybe -1) Reaction penalty from people who take such expressions poorly.
I've always allowed quirks that are very colorful but don't really have a negative effect other than making the character a tiny bit more predictable. I'd allow it with no other effect than making the character more colorful, and perhaps making people remember him more often.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
RogerBW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I've always allowed quirks that are very colorful but don't really have a negative effect other than making the character a tiny bit more predictable. I'd allow it with no other effect than making the character more colorful, and perhaps making people remember him more often.
Although it wasn't made explicit as a change from 3e, I get the feeling that 4e editorial policy wants Quirks to be substantially disadvantageous in at least some situations.
RogerBW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #18
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerBW View Post
Although it wasn't made explicit as a change from 3e, I get the feeling that 4e editorial policy wants Quirks to be substantially disadvantageous in at least some situations.
I think it’s more that too many quirks that appeared in 3e material didn’t do anything, at all. They don’t have to be an active liability, but they should say something more about the character than “wants a free point”. Having them explicitly provide the occasional -1 to reactions emphasises the point.

So those wacky ties can provide a -1 to reactions from the sartorially staid, or they can just get the wearer referred to a little sarcastically as “the individualist” and quickly spotted in a crowd, but they can’t just be ties.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
colorblindness, disadvantage of the week