Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-16-2015, 11:30 PM   #41
apoc527

Default Re: And then this happened . . .

Man, I was curious so I went to look up what I could find. There were some seriously TWISTED cards from that 1962 set. And the Kickstarter also some twisted art that actually...I'm not sure I particularly find fun to look at! It makes my skin crawl a bit (particularly the sample "Art Gallery" card on the main page).

I can totally see how the GURPS campaign setting can be used for a huge variety of genres though. Gruesome horror to Grade B Camp, all in one book! I'm definitely curious.

Currently Playing: GURPS Banestorm: The Symmetry of Darkness

Inactive:
Star*Drive: 2525-Hunting for Fun and Profit
My THS Campaign-In the Shadows of Venus
Yrth--The Legend Begins
The XCOM Apocalypse
apoc527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:34 AM   #42
camazotz

This definitely qualifies as "one of those things I didn't know I desperately wanted until I saw it." Very excited....and not just because it means an actual physical print GURPS book is manifesting again! Although that's probably 51% of the excitement.
Old 05-17-2015, 11:13 PM   #43
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexahs View Post
Point of interest, is the Martians' weakness to country music from the comics, or was that just the movie?
That was the movie -- and basically because Burton wanted an easy ending, a way for the invasion to end within minutes. But including something like that in the game would basically turn the entire invasion into an easy one-shot!

That said, you will find a bit of advice for adding an Achilles' Heel to the Martians, with options ranging from the sensible and sane to the downright silly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apoc527 View Post
Man, I was curious so I went to look up what I could find. There were some seriously TWISTED cards from that 1962 set. And the Kickstarter also some twisted art that actually...I'm not sure I particularly find fun to look at! It makes my skin crawl a bit (particularly the sample "Art Gallery" card on the main page).
Yeah, the art style has remained consistent from 1962 to 2015, just becoming more polished over the years -- always gory, dark, violent, and just a bit campy. In fact, when the original cards came out in the '60s, there was a public outcry in some circles and a few stores refused to sell the cards. I imagine the artists took that as a point of pride. :)

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mars attacks