Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-17-2007, 02:35 PM   #71
Dormammu

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

For any effort made to stat out superheroes, I have to recommend http://www.writeups.org. It is a database of character statistics with a heavy emphasis on DC and Marvel characters. It is all done using the DC Heroes/MEGS/Blood of Heroes game system, but it would not take a lot of effort to learn the scale range and adapt it to GURPS (or whatever other system you use).

This site is so good because it is generated by an unusually scholarly group of people who argue and debate statistics and generate writeups in a very scientific way. They ignore printed information of the sort found in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe and instead use actual evidence from comics. In other words, they stat the characters based on what they actually do in the comics rather than what editors say they do in the OHOTMU.

Check it out!

[EDIT: for key missing word, now in red]

Last edited by Dormammu; 05-18-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Dormammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:59 PM   #72
Not another shrubbery

Default Re: [Supers] GURPS Unofficial Handbook to the Marvel Universe, Reboot Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031
Beast
Quote:
Bucky
I didn't have anything to say specifically about Beast's write-up... I just wanted to make a general observation. I noticed that you are using HP = ST for the characters, at least those posted so far. That may fit in with your vision of them, but it's not necessarily always the best way to model characters... for instance, for a conversion. I think that sometimes it is more accurate to lower HP relative to the character's ST; either directly, or indirectly by buying ST up through the use of Lifting and/or Striking ST. Remember that the HP multiplier effect means that each HP will make a character last much longer in a fight. Not to say that I think any of your versions need to be changed, just something to keep in mind.

Regarding Bucky: I'm not familiar with the character's name, but I haven't followed any Marvel comic for years. Is she from current continuity?
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #73
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Regarding Bucky: I'm not familiar with the character's name, but I haven't followed any Marvel comic for years. Is she from current continuity?
This Bucky is actually based off the one from the post-Onslaught world the FF and Avengers got shifted to by Franklin Richards munchkin that he is, but all I really borrowed from that version is the name (and I'm not sure I got that right; Wiki's entry is mostly about the WWII Bucky). She's pretty much an original.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:58 AM   #74
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Captain America

Advantages: Hard to Kill 5 [10]; Hard to Subdue 5 [10]; Signature Gear: Adamantium Medium Throwing Shield [100]

Disadvantages: Enemy (Baron Zemo) (More powerful than the PC) (9) [-20]

Captain America's Shield
Cap's shield, and other adamantium shields which may be produced from the same mold, grants its wielder the following abilities:
  • Damage Resistance 150 (Directional: Front Only; Hardened +5)
  • Injury Tolerance: Damage Reduction, /10
  • DB 2
Furthermore, the shield is virtually unbreakable.
On the advantages: Just to point out (though you might already be aware of this), raising effective HT to 20 is (usually) very cost inefficient. Probably a good idea to make the shield SigGear... as a gadget it looks like it would more than double his point value the way you have it statted.

Zemo: Really? <raises eyebrow> Based on resources and such, I imagine. Do you plan on writing him up?
Old 05-18-2007, 02:35 PM   #75
Phantasm

Quote:
On the advantages: Just to point out (though you might already be aware of this), raising effective HT to 20 is (usually) very cost inefficient. Probably a good idea to make the shield SigGear... as a gadget it looks like it would more than double his point value the way you have it statted.
I toyed with the shield as Gadget-based advantages, but didn't like how they were coming out. And I thought making the shield straight adamantium instead of the unique adamantium/vibranium alloy made it more believable. :)

Quote:
Zemo: Really? <raises eyebrow> Based on resources and such, I imagine. Do you plan on writing him up?
Eventually, yes. And yeah, I was basing his "power" on his resources Once I finally get him statted out, I'm liable to adjust Cap's own point spread to suit.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #76
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Cyclops

Disadvantages: Shyness (Mild) [-5]
Quirks: Personality Change (Loses Shyness in Costume) [-1].
I notice you left that Quirk on that Hai-Etlik had mentioned. To me it looks more like a mitigator on the Shyness.

The ranged attack is kinda low-powered compared to RW weapons... is that what you're aiming for?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:46 AM   #77
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Daredevil

Weapons: Daredevil carries a pair of batons, similar to those used in the martial arts escrima and arnis. These batons have been adapted in three ways.
Daredevil's batons are capable of being linked together to form a set of nunchaku. With a twist of the one end, the baton becomes a grappling hook, the other end storing a length of thin high-test cable capable of holding twice his weight without strain. Finally, and he works hard to keep this feature a secret, the batons can extend to become his blind-man walking cane.

Advantages: Imaging Radar (Extended Arc: 360°, +125%; No Intercept, +50%; Super, -10%) [53]; Vibration Sense (Sense of Perception, +100%; Targeting, +20%; Biological, -10%) [21]
DD was always a big favorite of mine :) Did you consider adding some form of Brachiator (with gadget limitations) to model the swinging ability he used to use the batons for?

I really like the suite of super-senses you gave him, but I'm not grokking the distinction between the Imaging Radar and Vibration Sense: Either one of them could be used to model his "radar sense", but why both?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:43 PM   #78
Phantasm

Quote:
I notice you left that Quirk on that Hai-Etlik had mentioned. To me it looks more like a mitigator on the Shyness.
Truth be told, I've been a bit busy updating and building the others that Cyke kinda got left out. Gimme another couple of days, and that'll be fixed.

Quote:
The ranged attack is kinda low-powered compared to RW weapons... is that what you're aiming for?
5d is pretty well on-par with most commonly-available automatics (M-16 and related weapons). It is kinda what I'm looking for right now; the X-Men at this point are still young, so there's room there for them to grow.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM   #79
Phantasm

Quote:
DD was always a big favorite of mine :) Did you consider adding some form of Brachiator (with gadget limitations) to model the swinging ability he used to use the batons for?
As you've probably noticed, I'm not really a big fan of modeling equipment as gadget-based advantages. And besides, it's not like a grappling hook is really all that easy to get free in order to swing it to another building in mid-swing.

Quote:
I really like the suite of super-senses you gave him, but I'm not grokking the distinction between the Imaging Radar and Vibration Sense: Either one of them could be used to model his "radar sense", but why both?
I admit, part of the mystery in the mainstream comics as to which is the correct version threw me, so I ended up trying to model things both ways to see which worked better. Somehow, both versions ended up in the write-up. The one issue I can remember which had something from his POV showed pure black-and-white outlines, to where he was "seeing" the individual scales on a fish.

I can actually see DD having both versions; the vibration sense as an extension of his sense of touch, where he can 'see' things happening on the other side of barriers by touching them, and the more precise imaging radar to simulate a sense of vision. I'll have to go over the various mods to see what works better.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #80
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Eventually, yes. And yeah, I was basing his "power" on his resources Once I finally get him statted out, I'm liable to adjust Cap's own point spread to suit.
Cool! Something else to look forward to, then *g*

One of my favorite things about the Freedom City book for M&M was the "Rogue's Gallery" character sheets for enemies of the individual members of the Freedom League. Great idea that really fleshes out a character.

Tags
avengers, captain america, captain marvel, chandley, character creation, chargen, iron man, marvel, phantasm, supers, thor, x-men