Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
Atlus

Default Munchkin Adventure Time with Tournament Rules

I had recently participated in a tournament where our final round was playing Munchkin Adventure Time. However there were two big issues that we had to dispute within the game and for future reference I would like to know if the official rulings are what we had done.

1. At the looting the room phase of a tournament game we can loot the room from either the door or the treasure deck. However what will happen if you are the Lady Rainacorn/Lord Monochromicom character which allows you to do that very thing? The local MIB and I decided that we would agree that it will only give the +1 bonus to run away and that is all.

2. The Lich King's ability to not be interfered with by other players. He is an Undead but he specifically says that no 'other' player may put cards into the combat. He was put into the fight with a Wandering Monster but the problem i had with it was people then tried to place other cards into the combat because he was an undead. The MIB originally said it was legal but the card says only I may put cards into the fight once he enters. It sounds straight forward but it was a good 5 minute discussion on the card for the winning level so it was tense. I assume that he is meant to be added to a fight that other undeads are in but he can't have others placed on him. We ended up playing it like I thought it was meant to be, where no other player may put cards in (for any clarification on what we decided on).
Bites 1 & 2
Zombies 1-3
Cthulu 1-4
Impossible
Legends
Pathfinder
Conan
Apocalypse
Space 1 &2
The Good/The Bad 1 & 2
Atlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:37 PM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Adventure Time with Tournament Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlus View Post
1. At the looting the room phase of a tournament game we can loot the room from either the door or the treasure deck.
This is incorrect, and I urge you and your fellow MIBs to read the rules carefully before running more official events.

The Tournament Rules specify that the "Listening at the Door" Faster Play rule is in effect. This means that you draw an extra Door card at the start of the turn (which you may play if it is a playable Door at that moment -- note that this means you cannot Look For Trouble if you draw a monster) and when you Loot The Room you draw a Treasure card. There is no option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlus View Post
2. The Lich King's ability to not be interfered with by other players. He is an Undead but he specifically says that no 'other' player may put cards into the combat. He was put into the fight with a Wandering Monster but the problem i had with it was people then tried to place other cards into the combat because he was an undead. The MIB originally said it was legal but the card says only I may put cards into the fight once he enters. It sounds straight forward but it was a good 5 minute discussion on the card for the winning level so it was tense. I assume that he is meant to be added to a fight that other undeads are in but he can't have others placed on him. We ended up playing it like I thought it was meant to be, where no other player may put cards in (for any clarification on what we decided on).
Once the Lich enters the fight, no player who is not in the combat may play any cards to affect the outcome. This includes adding other Undead.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #3
Atlus

I was unaware how the tournament rules had run up until now because I don't run tournaments at conventions. But I will keep this in mind and make sure I read the rules of the tournament style instead of just being told them by another. Thank you for helping clarify this with me!
Bites 1 & 2
Zombies 1-3
Cthulu 1-4
Impossible
Legends
Pathfinder
Conan
Apocalypse
Space 1 &2
The Good/The Bad 1 & 2
Atlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
eedee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post

Once the Lich enters the fight, no player who is not in the combat may play any cards to affect the outcome. This includes adding other Undead.
Does this this mean that the other players can't do anything to stop it?

Wouldn't this greatly affect the balance of the game? Only thing you need to do is get the Lich and hold it until you're level 8 and win automatically by looking for trouble with it. (Assuming you'll have a combat strength at least 21 at that point)
Sounds like a possibly game breaking cheap win..
eedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:45 AM   #5
Enzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedee View Post
Does this this mean that the other players can't do anything to stop it?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedee View Post
Wouldn't this greatly affect the balance of the game? ...
Sounds like a possibly game breaking cheap win..
There are several similar scenarios in other Munchkin games, so I don't think The Lich affects game balance in any way that isn't replicated in other flavors of the game. A cheap win? Maybe. Game breaking? Hardly.
Enzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
The Tournament Rules specify that the "Listening at the Door" Faster Play rule is in effect. This means that you draw an extra Door card at the start of the turn (which you may play if it is a playable Door at that moment -- note that this means you cannot Look For Trouble if you draw a monster) and when you Loot The Room you draw a Treasure card. There is no option.
This a bit confusing as it implies that you must play a Monster if you find it when you listen at the door. I thought we basically said that card always goes into your hand (allowing it to be played if it wasn't a Monster), before you kick open the door.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

That is a better statement of the intent of the rule, yes.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure time, lich king, tournament rules