Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-06-2019, 04:47 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Nordlond: The Citadel at Nordvorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post

So from that perspective, while I won't be adding extra rules, I will be giving you the flavor you want.
Good job, you can also say something like Natures Strength or Sancity apply for certain monsters and not be changing any rules (except perhaps published monsters but even then IMO its a safe stat more than rule change)
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #12
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Good job, you can also say something like Natures Strength or Sancity apply for certain monsters and not be changing any rules (except perhaps published monsters but even then IMO its a safe stat more than rule change)
Exactly. Monsters cheat anyway. In D&D 5e, I’d just say Step 1: Fae have advantage. Step 2 PCs have disadvantage against Fae.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #13
b-dog

Quote:
Some of the background details in Citadel at Nordvorn indicate this, and some of the plot elements show how the Faerie are growing stronger. Rather than separate a whole different power level, I'd likely do something like say "In the Faerie pocket dimensions of svartalfheim, fae treat mana levels as high; if dealing with a mortal who has broken a faerie promise, spells cost less fatigue/are cast at a bonus/may be maintained for free."

So from that perspective, while I won't be adding extra rules, I will be giving you the flavor you want.
Maybe it could be aspected mana for glamour? Like instead of say fire aspected it could be glamour aspected and faeries might be in a normal mana zone but it is aspected high or very high toward glamour where the faerie realm is merged with the mortal realm?
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:40 PM   #14
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-dog View Post
Maybe it could be aspected mana for glamour? Like instead of say fire aspected it could be glamour aspected and faeries might be in a normal mana zone but it is aspected high or very high toward glamour where the faerie realm is merged with the mortal realm?
You can do this in your campaigns, but I won't be fine-slicing the rules like that. Citadel thus far has no new rules in it and I'll likely keep it that way. These are supposed to be "ready to play with your boxed set!" books to support what's there, not build a library of stuff that if you don't have it you can't play.

Many, many folks with full GURPS libraries will add Dungeon Fantasy or full GURPS stuff to their games. I think that's awesome. Someone wants to play Hall of Judgment while using The Last Gasp, The Deadly Spring, Dodge This, Armor as Dice, Conditional Injury, and On Target? Booyah. But I won't be putting those in the books. I don't WANT to. Even if I did want to, I can't, since I don't have the license to it.

I will say this: I appreciate your enthusiasm. But I hope you see where I'm going with the books, and why.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #15
b-dog

Quote:
You can do this in your campaigns, but I won't be fine-slicing the rules like that. Citadel thus far has no new rules in it and I'll likely keep it that way. These are supposed to be "ready to play with your boxed set!" books to support what's there, not build a library of stuff that if you don't have it you can't play.

Many, many folks with full GURPS libraries will add Dungeon Fantasy or full GURPS stuff to their games. I think that's awesome. Someone wants to play Hall of Judgment while using The Last Gasp, The Deadly Spring, Dodge This, Armor as Dice, Conditional Injury, and On Target? Booyah. But I won't be putting those in the books. I don't WANT to. Even if I did want to, I can't, since I don't have the license to it.

I will say this: I appreciate your enthusiasm. But I hope you see where I'm going with the books, and why.
Ok, I guess I was just excited because the nordalfar seem to capture the feeling of what a faerie should be in a dungeon delving game. AD&D made the faerie races ( goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, ogres and trolls) almost entirely mundane. Other games like Ars Mįgica made them way too powerful but your book made the nordalfar be able to be defeated by delivers yet they have the faerie veil to keep themselves hidden just like the faerie of myth.

In my own games I like to have the world powers explained so when I see the Illusion Lake in your book I will describe that as being made of glamour and the fact that it has a no mana zone is because there is no free mana and all of the magical energy is in the form of glamour (that can not be used by wizards) which creates the illusion of the island in the lake with treasure.
b-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Žorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

For some damn reason I keep reading this as Naušvörn (desperate defense, latch ditch defense).

Just had to mention this.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Žorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:39 PM   #17
DouglasCole

I have a work-in-progress layout for Nordvorn.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #18
DouglasCole

FYI: My goal is to launch Nordvorn on Kickstarter next Tuesday, February 19.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #19
zuljita

I'll be waiting to buy.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:55 PM   #20
DouglasCole

There's a bit more information and a temporary layout on my blog today.

The Citadel at Noršvorn: Coming to Kickstarter Feb 19